mtbr member

A Feast in Grey Oblivion -or- A Foggy Solo Thanksgiving Overnight in Utah

So with two days of my busy schedule cleared for the holiday and nothing to do I decided to jaunt down to southern Utah from my home in SL,UT. Now before you feel bad for me being alone for the holiday I was actually quite happy about it. My friends I had planned on doing dinner with decided on a whim to drive to the nearest coast (which is far so no thanks) and my significant other has not been significant for long enough to deal with her difficult family. And I don't get a lot of solo time these days anywho.

I went to The Wedge. The Wedge - Little Grand Canyon Overlook An area overlooking the San Rafael Swell area outside of Price in central Utah. It turns out my dispersed camping may not have been completely kosher though, which I did not realize until I arrived. Since in the warmer months it's an oft-visited place, you are supposed to only camp in designated and marked spots. But that is for car camping. So I'll give myself a C and not an F in that regard. But consider that for if you go there. I practiced my best LNT excluding a small fire necessary for the cooking of the feast, which burned to all white ash, buried the hole, and did it in a duff covered area below a tree and recovered.

So I picked this trail because of the stunning views. But it turned out foggy; like really foggy. So I didn't exactly get the views I expected. But the stillness and fact I couldn't hear a single thing or see more than a few dozen meters ahead gave me the craziest feeling of isolation and solitude. In a good way. But this was true quiet. So quiet it's a strange feeling.

Hey, that is a nice view.

Here is my rig, by the way. It's a Spot Brand Highline with a dinglespeed set up (36:16 and 32:20) I used the high gear. I rode fully loaded because the route was a short 22ish miles and I wanted to be comfy in the cold and I needed to bring the feast. More on that later. I forgot to weigh my gear but it was likely around 40 pounds of gear/water. The trail is dead flat and a little rocky.

Cheers!

It was frosty

Camp and my epic view from camp, over the cliff into the abyss. I was using a Big Agnes Seedhouse SL 1 tent which I love and highly recommend, a Go-Lite 4 season 10 degree down bag, and a Klymit insulted Static V pad which was on it's maiden voyage. I really like it. Warm and easy to inflate and packs small. And fleece/foam pad top thing which turned out unnecessary but is nice to sit on.

The Thanksgiving feast supplies.

Feast in prep.

The finished product.
    Two turkey legs with a stove top topping stuffing dust rub (I forgot to season them prior so improvised- it gave them a nice crust), fresh green beans with stuffing and cream of cheddar soup baked on the fire to make a casserole, instant stuffing (due to the frost starting a fire was tough but it turns out dry stuffing mix also makes for great kindling), instant mashed potatoes with instant gravy, store bought pumpkin pie, cranberry juice, and Pendleton whiskey.

So I basically passed out after that at like 8pm so I was up and at 'em at 4am. I packed up camp and rode predawn. The fog was still thick which regulated the temperature and I was plenty warm all night. I had packed more warmth than I needed.

I got back to the car and enjoyed the trail so much loaded down, I ditched the weight and railed half of it again at top speed. The clouds lifted to give me glimpses of the view. This is a shot of what I was missing at camp, when I rode back past it.

The temperature then dropped dramatically and it started to snow. I rode bundled up and the ground was frozen

Now I'm home in my pajamas. My significant other had an annoying day with the family and is jealous of my holiday.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Fun read!

pedal me happy
    Oct 2009
    Looks like the best thanksgiving ever.I had planned on going over to Powell but it
    didn't work out,nothing like being in that country this time year you do feel like you
    have it all to yourself.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I too have done solo trips in the desert in lieu of the family drama - it can bring a person to nirvana! Great post.

weirdo
    Great report! Reading it makes me want to do some kind of off-season trip to check out some of the places I stopped going to because of "regular season" overcrowding. And wow, you sure did pack a feast!
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    May 2010

That looks great. We did a quick Black Friday night walk into the words for 4.5 miles or so and camp end the at.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD