mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Fatbikepacking the Imperial Dunes Interest?: Glamis to Gordon's Well in Feb. or Mar.

I'm looking for someone(s) interested in a potentially short fatbikepacking trek through the Imperial Dunes from Gordon's Well to Glamis in early-mid February or early March.

Ideally, this trek could be done in a weekend; meet at Glamis on a Friday night, hike-a-bike/ride to Gordon's Well on Saturday to camp, and return to Glamis on Sunday via a combination of dirt/paved roads. To give an estimate on mileage, the well-known "sand highway" duner route from Glamis to Gordon's Well is around 30 miles. The sand highway, albeit a viable bail out for a potential hitch, will be avoided at all costs as the sand is trenched/soft in spots and the sound of combustion engines can quickly kill a good nature vibe. The route through the Imperial Dunes to Gordon's Well will be trending on the Southwest side of the dunes (to avoid the steep ridges that run down the middle of the dunes. The return route (approximately 30 miles as well) will be easily navigable, flat, and quite fast in comparison

Let me know if any of you have some interest and we can start working dates and details.

-Mark

Big wheels keep on rollin
    I'd love to do something like this... just haven't got the Fatbike yet. Been lookin for a used Puglsley. Not many sellers in California.

Is there water at the camps area?

mike

mtbr member

Fatbikepacking the Imperial Dunes Interest?: Glamis to Gordon's Well in Feb. ...

I was going to say Why not ride north of 78 where there won't be motorized vehicles to deal with? Then I decided I better see if that's allowed...nope hiking and horses only! WTF!

I'd risk it though. No one is gonna be out there checking. The ride to the Mammoth Wash area is worth doing. I rode a quad up the dirt road from Glamis years ago just to check it out. Not a soul there the time I did it.

And don't forget to buy a weekly pass offsite for $35. Buying it at Glamis is $50. I know. Crazy, huh?!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Yeah, the stuff north of Hwy 78 is the North Algodones Dunes Wilderness. Fortunately, a large chunk of the Imperial Dunes are closed to vehicular traffic from Patton Valley to just south of China Wall Hill (not to say the duners are adhering to that closure). However, I plan on sticking to the mini bowls on the western edge of the closure boundary to avoid the nasty steep hills that come every five miles or so along the interior diagonal. Weathered and un-ridden dunes are quite packed and rideable contrary to what some may think.

mtbr member

Fatbikepacking the Imperial Dunes Interest?: Glamis to Gordon's Well in Feb. ...

I rode a Moonlander in the edge of the dunes at Glamis just a bit a few weeks ago. It is doable, but not easy. The slightest turn of the bars and the front tire digs in. I can't imagine riding anywhere other than the relatively flat or small stuff all the way from Glamis to GW.

I've been a duner way longer than a MTBer. I've been going to Glamis almost 30 years...gawd, probably a couple hundred plus trips if I really stop to think about it. (Damn! I'm getting old. How did this happen?) The "hardness" of the dunes changes weekend to weekend depending on rain, wind, etc. The first ride of the weekend always tells me a lot about how I'll have to pick my lines for my family.

A perfect fat bike ride would be just after a big rain. Tons of traction and the fat tires would keep the front tire from digging in.

Post a ride report if you end up doing this ride. I'd love to read about it.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by senor_mikey View Post
    I'd love to do something like this... just haven't got the Fatbike yet. Been lookin for a used Puglsley. Not many sellers in California.

Is there water at the camps area?

mike
    There isn't any drinking water in the camping area of Glamis, but there are vendor areas nearby at both ends.

The Coachella Canal is right there at the edge of the dunes the whole ride. I guess you could filter it if you were desperate.

mtbr member

Fatbikepacking the Imperial Dunes Interest?: Glamis to Gordon's Well in Feb. or Mar.

So who did I come across today fat biking thru the middle of the Glamis sand dunes?

mtbr member

That definitely wasn't the condition. It had been windy for 24+ hrs and was around 85 deg.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal-Rider View Post
    So who did I come across today fat biking thru the middle of the Glamis sand dunes?
    I fatbikepacked from Glamis to Gordons Well and back this past weekend. If the bike had a bunch of bikepacking gear on it that was probably me. It got rather toasty out there on the way back to Glamis on Sunday.

mtbr member

Must've been you. It's not like I come across bicycles EVER in the dunes.

Good job out there. Watching you pedal away, it didn't look easy.

You were heading back to the Glamis store area? That seemed to be the general direction you were going.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal-Rider View Post
    Must've been you. It's not like I come across bicycles EVER in the dunes.

Good job out there. Watching you pedal away, it didn't look easy.

You were heading back to the Glamis store area? That seemed to be the general direction you were going.
    Thanks. My pickup was parked at Glamis Flats. Were you in a rail or on an ATV? Insanely low pressure is the key to staying afloat out there. The sand in the areas closed to motor vehicles was way more rideable than the soft crap around Glamis and Gordons Well. Did you spot me riding in the bigger dunes or in the dune foothills near Glamis Flats?

mtbr member

We came across you down in a valley a few miles from the Glamis store. We were a group of about 10 quads with a motorcycle leading. We slowed down and passed fairly close by you.

mtbr member

It was around noon or so on Sunday, so you were just about done.