mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Fargo vs Vaya choice

I lean toward the Fargo because of the availability of titanium. Any input is appreciated. Here is some information to consider: 60% fireroads, 35% tarmac, 5% trail or single track. Occasional loaded for overnight or two. Should I be concerned about fatter tires on the blacktop or can I swap out tires and achieve what I need? Wife has two new hips, but fairly atheletic. I need to keep it light! Thanks!

mtbr member
    I was looking at both myself at this time last year and ended up going for the Ti Fargo and dont regret the choice at all. I put 2" Schwalbe Big Bens on it for street riding and did a century on it a few weeks ago. It is great for road or off road and an amazing climber as well

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I can ride my Steel 2012 Fargo with Big Apple tires on anything you'd reasonably encounter. I have ridden it on pavement, dirt roads, loose gravel, wrecked asphalt, grass and weeds, both tall and short, wet and dry, hiking trails (of a less technical nature) The Apples are really surprisingly capable tires. I've had 1 flat in them in about the 1000 miles I've put on them. They can be a bit slow and draggy, but that's really a question of how you inflate them. Harden up if you're doing a lot of paved or hardpack dirt. If the terrain is going to be rough or loose, soften them up a bit. If you want to be a crazed off-roader, then look at knobbies and suffer the drag on hard surfaces. I started with the 2.0" apples, I've now got a 2.3" on the rear, and will probably stick one up front eventually.

My opinion on Big Apples on pavement:
    Easy Rolling
    Excellent Traction
    Lots of Plush
    No Pinch flats
    Only One flat at about 1k miles.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hendricks,

I wasn't aware of the existence of the Big Ben, looks like an awesome variation on the Apples. Also, Gyro, if you're looking more road oriented and worried about the big wheels being too big, looks like they have a 1.5" Little Big Ben, cool option.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks to both of you. I am feeling better about it. I think that I will be getting myself a steel Fargo before spring. The wife gets the Ti, cuz it goes with the titanium and stainless steel ball and sockets in her hips! We don't slow down to easily! So far!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    That's awesome Gyro. You and the Mrs. keep on pedaling! Lastly, if you don't mind my asking a question... If I get Ti hip replacements would you also consider buying me a Ti fargo? If so, I'll see when I can schedule the operation.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Okay, I will send Dr. H your way. Luckily he is a cyclist too. I have another question for you guys. I have converted our road bikes from drop bars to upright old style touring bars, e.g. Soma Oxford due to low back issues. I know the Salsa bars like the Woodchipper and the Cowbell are designed with the geometry of the Fargo and the Vaya. I really gets to me leaning over very far for many hours, but I made the decision a couple years ago, recumbent bikes are for when I hit about 85 or 90, and that is a ways off. So I may wind up changing the bars and doing thumb shifters at some point. Your thoughts are valued! Thanks,

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Gyro_t

I personally run a Misfit Psycles FUbar on my Fargo, because I'm more of chilling out, pedaling about kinda guy. I just don't feel the need to get there at max speed. The FUbar has decent sweep and lets me have a relatively upright position. You may want to look into Jones H-Bars as well. The H-bar definitely offers more options. The FUbar really doesn't offer much more than the ends of the bars. If you have time to kill you can always browse the Salsa Fargo thread in the Salsa sub-forum. Beware, its a long one.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    What kind of shifters do you use on the FUbar, or what kind would you recommend? Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    What kind of shifters do you use on the FUbar, or what kind would you recommend? A didicated Salsa forum, huh? WOw that is serious. Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The Salsa Subforum: Salsa
    (You think that's crazy?) the Fargo Thread: The Salsa Fargo Thread

I built my Fargo from the ground up as a SS. Due to a lot of people asking me to go on rides lately I have I box-o-parts on the way for the switch to 1x10. I'll be running a SRAM X7 trigger shifter. How will I like that? Who knows!? I don't imagine you'd have any trouble with trigger or twist shifters on that bar.