mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Farfarer or BOB Ibex?

We're starting to do big day trips with the kids (8 hour rides on rail trails, easy dirt, some paved, etc., lots of stops).

Finding we need to haul a lot more food, water, clothing, jackets, and various other items (like fishing rods or whatever) for a full day out (if you have kids, you know what I'm talking about).

I'm wanting a trailer to put everything in one place. It will see dirt trails, some easy singletrack, paved bikeways, and maybe some tough singletrack when riding without the kids.

I'm down to the BOB and Farfarer, leaning towards the Farfarer because of the weight and simplicity of design. I like the story of the Farfarer as well - nice to support a small business like that. The BOB is proven however but heavy.

Pulling with a 29er.

Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by canuckjgc View Post
    We're starting to do big day trips with the kids (8 hour rides on rail trails, easy dirt, some paved, etc., lots of stops).

Finding we need to haul a lot more food, water, clothing, jackets, and various other items (like fishing rods or whatever) for a full day out (if you have kids, you know what I'm talking about).

I'm wanting a trailer to put everything in one place. It will see dirt trails, some easy singletrack, paved bikeways, and maybe some tough singletrack when riding without the kids.

I'm down to the BOB and Farfarer, leaning towards the Farfarer because of the weight and simplicity of design. I like the story of the Farfarer as well - nice to support a small business like that. The BOB is proven however but heavy.

Pulling with a 29er.

Any thoughts?
    I bought an Ibex with single track rides in mind, but it's only seen use for commuting and grocery runs. That said, I've never broken an egg!

Just checked the fFarfarer out, and I've seen a guy hiking up on the Big Laguna trail with something that looked identical. He did say that he was making and selling them. That's probably the same guy. Small world!
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

mtbr member

Personally I'd go with the Extrawheel. I haven't used one, but I have used a BOB some and wasn't real happy with it.
    ISO: 22" GT Rebound frame, year 2000 model

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    +1 for the Extra Wheel

I use mine in all conditions (from techy to smooth), you can put a fast rolling tire (with a higher pressure) and it will travel nicely on the rail trails.