Eat, Poop, Pedal.

Familiar with Arizona?

Hey guys/gals,
    Me and a few buddies are heading down to Arizona this November(22-30) for a bike tour. I can't think of a better research resource than the locals or the people that have toured the area!! We have 7-8 days of riding, around 600 miles. We haven't set any location in stone but would like to start our tour in Mesa(we are leaving our truck at a friends house, he's new to the area). Where would you go knowing the area/state? What places/roads/routes are must do's and what roads to avoid? Any input is MUCH appreciated!!
    Thank You!
    2012 Reign.
    2010 Rincon.

i like bikes

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Drop by the Arizona forum. Lots of guys do bikepack rides and can get you all the info you need.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Hoover, there's lots of great riding in AZ that time of year. The AZ Trail comes to mind, certainly off the Colorado Plateau/Mogollon Rim as the top will potentially be blanketed with snow and if not, maybe just too cold.

Sedona is in its shoulder season about that time and can be great or not just depending on weather. About 40-miles north of Phoenix is the 80-ish-mile Black Canyon Trail which runs North to South tucked in the foothills between the Bradshaw Mountains and the Aqua Fria river. I run tours on the BCT and offer equipment for camping, guides and logistics depending on what your looking for. A great way to do it is "Self Guided" where we provide a full "river" camp kitchen, van logistics, fire wood charcoal and the works so you can have all of your "car camping" gear at camp after a big days ride. Check us out at Welcome to the Black Canyon Trail - Sonoran Expeditions

Let me know if I can be of any assistance. I'm an Arizona native and know the place like the back of my hand. Cheers! -Rob

Hope we can help.

LW Coaching
    Jul 2005
    The Gila section of the Arizona Trail from Oracle to Superior is fantastic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I have just put together a route from Cave Creek to Sedona. Mostly dirt roads. I will ultimately finish the route from Sedona back to Cave Creek using the Black Canyon Trail. If interested I could send you my Google File. Just PM me.

My other ride is your mom
    I can help you out with some route ideas. From NE Mesa you have plenty of dirt options that take you east over towards 4 Peaks, south to the AZT and beyond into the southern deserts...or you can head NW on dirt through PHX with minimal pavement over to the BCT which takes you north into higher country....but depending on weather, it may be cold....so you have weather options either way.