mtbr member

Expresso Coffee for the Touring Cyclist

I haven't yet tried one of these but got a heads-up on from a member at the Australian Cycling Forums. Looks like a pretty cool way to make coffee for those of us keen on "real" coffee on tour

The product is called AirEspresso and details can be found at Airspresso | Extreme Espresso Machine

If anyone has experience with one would love to hear your thoughts.

Andrew

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Ok, that's it sign me up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Espresso for bikepacking

I have used similar ideas, one called handpresso, which is really good, but is hard to work in such a way that you get hot enough water through it to make great espresso.
    What I currently use is an Aeropress. It is light, and it makes excellent coffee. Although it is technically not exactly espresso, it is similar and excellent. The Aeropress is really innexpensive as well, under $45 with a metal filter. I do not endorse the paper filters since they taste like paper.

I'm your density
    An interesting idea, but

edit: I have no idea if that's any good, but we did buy it to make coffee-flavored ice cream.
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coldbike View Post
    What I currently use is an Aeropress.
    Must check one out. The price is sounds much more friendly too

Andrew

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by random walk View Post
    An interesting idea, but

edit: I have no idea if that's any good, but we did buy it to make coffee-flavored ice cream.
    Yeah it may work in a pinch, but other then that it tastes like twice removed donkey dung, what that is and what it tastes like I don't know, but you get the memo. For ice cream and iced coffee its not bad.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Here's another vote for the AeroPress. Been using it for a few years combined with a Porlex hand grinder and it makes an excellent cup of coffee. Lightweight, cheap, easy clean up.

That Airspresso does look interesting though. Would love to see a video of it in action or read a good review of it. Always interested in new ways to make coffee on the road!

P1226495

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Expresso Coffee for the Touring Cyclist

Quote Originally Posted by coldbike View Post
    I have used similar ideas, one called handpresso, which is really good, but is hard to work in such a way that you get hot enough water through it to make great espresso.
    What I currently use is an Aeropress. It is light, and it makes excellent coffee. Although it is technically not exactly espresso, it is similar and excellent. The Aeropress is really innexpensive as well, under $45 with a metal filter. I do not endorse the paper filters since they taste like paper.
    I love my Aeropress and the metal filter. Use it everyday, and travel with it.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Rogue Exterminator
    Airspresso =$180US
    Love coffee just not that much.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

Rogue Exterminator
    BTW, here is a video

Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Hah just watched that, fun video. Their linked written review is also worth checking out.

CyclingAbout.com | World Bicycle Touring | Gear Reviews | Blog | Tips ? Review: Airspresso Espresso Maker

They both give a much better idea of how it works. I'd love to try one out but since I already have a setup I like it's hard to justify the cost.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I use a 1 or 2 cup moka pot, depending on how much caffeine you want vs. weight. It is seriously cheap ($10-12) fairly light weight, somewhat compact, and makes a decent shot. The downside is that it needs a powder grind (which sucks with a hand powered grinder, unless you pre-grind at home) and that it needs to hit steam pressure, which uses a bit more fuel, but the overall volume of water is pretty small.

It's unlikely you'd manage to scorch it with a camp stove, but being inattentive to the brewing process can let the coffee stew in the top chamber.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    i've been wanting to try one of these:
    Wiggle Australia | Esbit Coffee Maker - Stainless Steel | Stoves and Cookware

love the price, just wonder how good it is.