lives to ride
    Feb 2005

Europe Alps Touring

Does anyone have any information on off road, MTB touring/bikepacking the European Alps?

I have an enormous amount to learn so this may sound ridiculous but I'd love to do a trip with the help of trains/uplifts from say Grenoble in France, following the border up through Chamonix into Switzerland, across to Saint Moritz then into Italy around Livigno across Northern Italy and finishing up somewhere in Austria.

The goal would be more about getting in some nice long descents so I would make a point of including a lot of the "resorts" although I would still be happy to pedal up. I guess you could call it an "assisted tour".

Any advice would be great.

mtbr member
    This Swiss Alps tour is at the top of my bucket list for 2015:

Aaron Teasdale: web log: A bike ride in Switzerland

- You can get a service to carry a bag for you so you have it at the end of each day.
    - You ride over a pass and back down to a town each day
    - Some, but not all the stages have a bus/lift/train option to get you part of the way up

My plan is to ride my FS trail bike with a backpack and essentially 1 change of clothes for that night in town. I'll get a hotel or hostel every night.

Given the sustained effort levels I'll take mechanical help when it's easily available to start my ride higher. I'm not a purist.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    A trip we did in 2012 - French Alps trip - Pictures from bivi-biking between Geneva and Nice. Geneva-Nice mainly off road in 11 days I think.

Try a search on singletrack world - 'Transalp ChrisE singletackworld' in google should find a couple of good threads.

The route you mention would be a long one and a logistical challenge, but given time and/or fitness you'll get much of that done, or a more involved route over less distance.
    The MTB Haute Route may be perfect for you, worth looking that one up too.

lives to ride
    Feb 2005
    Awesome info so far, thanks to the both of you.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Hey,
    I live in switzerland and do a fair bit of touring both on the MTB / singletrack side as well as the full on touring bike side.
    the best bang for your buck as far as maps and info goes is this website...pure gold:
    SwitzerlandMobility – Cycling in Switzerland - Schweiz Mobil - Veloland
    the blue routes are road / touring and the yellow ones are more MTB oriented. the print function alone will save you $100's

good luck