mtbr member

Idea! Echo Canyon, Death Valley?

Hi all, and happy holidays! I am organizing a bike-packing trip through parts of the southern Death Valley (round trip from Rhyolite, NV, Titus Canyon -Artist -West Side -Jubilee Pass -Green Water Valley -Furnace Creek Fault/Zabriskie area -Echo Canyon -Amargosa Valley -Bare Mountain -Beatty ending at Rhyolite), 250 miles, 23K feet. I am familiar with all of the route EXCEPT for Echo Canyon over the Funeral Mountains. Anyone have any recent experience? I am leaving tomorrow morning (DEC 26, 2013) to pre-ride some of the course, but focus on Echo Canyon. Any information would be greatly appreciated, and the ride is open to any and all who are up to the challenge! Thanks!!
    "Bicycling...is the nearest approximation I know to the flight of birds." Louis Halle

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GilaMonster View Post
    Hi all, and happy holidays! I am organizing a bike-packing trip through parts of the southern Death Valley (round trip from Rhyolite, NV, Titus Canyon -Artist -West Side -Jubilee Pass -Green Water Valley -Furnace Creek Fault/Zabriskie area -Echo Canyon -Amargosa Valley -Bare Mountain -Beatty ending at Rhyolite), 250 miles, 23K feet. I am familiar with all of the route EXCEPT for Echo Canyon over the Funeral Mountains. Anyone have any recent experience? I am leaving tomorrow morning (DEC 26, 2013) to pre-ride some of the course, but focus on Echo Canyon. Any information would be greatly appreciated, and the ride is open to any and all who are up to the challenge! Thanks!!
    Any update on the ride?
    The LBS I support - http://atownbikes.net/

mtbr member
    eredinger, please see Death Valley 230 Miler, March 1 - 3, 2014. I'll be posting more info and developments about the ride in the Arizona forum. I did a pre-ride of some of the course between Christmas and New Years--I'm counting the hours. --Phil
    "Bicycling...is the nearest approximation I know to the flight of birds." Louis Halle

weirdo
    No idea about Echo, but I hope you guys have a blast. Teaser from a Titus Canyon ride a few years ago on Day 2 here:
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/DV2012
    I really want to go back for more one of these springs.

EDIT: I see you posted on the AZ thread that Beatty has no grocery store. Can`t say they still have one, but they did at the time of the trip I linked.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member

Echo Canyon, Death Valley?

Yeah, they used to when I worked out there, and oddly the sign is still out front. But when I was out a week ago I saw that the windows were empty. I asked the hotel desk person about it and she said they closed the store about 8 years ago. Bummer, especially if you live in Beatty!

mtbr member

Echo Canyon, Death Valley?

And I must say I REALLY enjoyed reading and appreciated your take on the Titus Canyon portion. Just re-rode that again last week, and cannot wait to do it again in six weeks! So much scenery, so much geology, so much uphill that the scenery seems to ameliorate, so many gravity-induced ear-to-ear grins. Any way you could join us for a day or two, if not the whole thing? Clearly you appreciate the grandeur of this place.

weirdo
    Thanks for the invite Gila, and I`m glad you liked the trip report. I`m going to have to take a pass on that ride, though. Even at full seasonal fitness level, the daily riding you guys are looking at would be pushing it for me, and just comming out of hibernation, it`s a definite no-go. You`ll be posting pics, I hope. Bikepacking or AZ section? Any pics from your recon trip?
    Recalculating....