mtbr member
    Apr 2014

East Coast Trail Recommendations?

Planning about a two week road trip starting in Florida up to New York. The goal is to do some mountain biking on the way up. Any trails you would recommend as a must ride? We will be riding hard tails but would like to get into some easy downhill and anything in between. We are also intermediate riders but have done some advanced trails. Any advice? Thanks

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by c0nb3n View Post
    Planning about a two week road trip starting in Florida up to New York. The goal is to do some mountain biking on the way up. Any trails you would recommend as a must ride? We will be riding hard tails but would like to get into some easy downhill and anything in between. We are also intermediate riders but have done some advanced trails. Any advice? Thanks
    I would suggest posting this question in the regional forums for the areas you will be passing through. Or just search through them, this gets asked a lot on the regional boards.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Sorry. Just joined and didnt know there were regional forums. Thanks for the info

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Pinhotti Trail/Mulberry Gap in GA.

FATS in Augusta, GA.

Pisgah/DuPont in NC.

Not sure about points farther North, but that should get you started.
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Harbison

Quote Originally Posted by c0nb3n View Post
    Come through Columbia, SC and try out our Mountain Bike Trails at Harbison State Forest on Broad River Road!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Metze View Post
    Come through Columbia, SC and try out our Mountain Bike Trails at Harbison State Forest on Broad River Road!
    Good riding in Columbia? Shoot, I'll have to bring my bike next time my work takes me down there!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Harbison and Sesqui

Quote Originally Posted by willapajames View Post
    Good riding in Columbia? Shoot, I'll have to bring my bike next time my work takes me down there!
    Harbison is awesome. If you want highly technical, kick you kind of trail, then go to Harbison and ride Spider Woman. I have yet to make it through the rocky part without a descent. Check it out and you will be glad you did. Also, you will want to check out F.A.T.S. (Fork Area Trail System) in Augusta, Georgia. I rode "the Wall" once and it was fantastic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    If you find yourself in Central PA, I'd be happy to show you around Bald Eagle State Forest and Rothrock State Forest.

Rothrock has a collection of really amazing and well maintained trails, especially in the Cooper's Gap area. Bald Eagle has a decidedly more primitive character, but it's still some great riding.

The Allegrippis Trail System at Raystown Lake is a must ride in PA.
    "...when I stand to climb I'm like the Hulk rowing the USS Badass up the Kickass River."
    -michaelscott

IoC
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    To echo someone else: don't miss DuPont/Pisgah in Western NC. I'm a little biased because I live there. Post in the North Carolina forum and you'll probably find folks willing to guide you or give advice.

Summary:

DuPont has great scenery and good intermediate trails, along with the only expanses of slickrock I know of on the East Coast. [http://www.bikerag.com/images/PICTUR.../DSC02156.JPG]

Bent Creek, near Asheville, is the most popular trail system that's not too technical but all-around fun.

Pisgah is beautiful, rugged, and gnarly. Plan to divide your normal average speed by two or three.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Check out the area around Blue Ridge, GA: Aska Road trails, Tanasi trails (across state line in TN), Chilhowee (SP?)(Across line in TN), Jack Rabbit (across line in NC), and the famous Pinhoti is right down the road.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    George Washington National Forest West of 81 around Staunton and Harrisonburg has to be included in the list as well.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

Dinner for wolves
    If you are sticking to I-95, consider Delaware: White Clay and Middle Run. Also, Fairhill. Further up in Philly (where I live and play), find some locals to show you Wissahickon and/or Belmont, and then hit our new pump track before settling in for fresh beer and pizza at Dock Street.
    Responds to gravity

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Where in Florida are you starting from?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Well be starting in the Central Florida/ Orlando area. I have already ridden Santo's a few times so we probably wont start riding until we hit the Georgia/Carolina area. We are definitely going to hit Dupont, Bent Creek, and Fats System. Any opinions on those? Those are the only ones have planned so far but we will be checking out others too. Are these trails to much for hardtails?

Thanks for all the feedback! I really appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    DuPont and pisgah are not too rough for hard tails. I was riding my hard tail up here for the past eight months or so. If you are coming up that way I would think you are also passing through greenville. Paris mountain state park can be fun but some of the trails are pretty rough.
    Favorite trails
    Pisgah: explorer loop, hard times connector is a ton of fun and short, lower side hill, greens lick is very popular.
    DuPont : hit the slick rock trails and my favorite is ride includes reason over creek trail and airstrip trail(you ride on an old airstrip then descend into fun and flowing singletrack). If you are there high falls and triple falls are worth a visit if that's your thing too.