mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Dura ace/Thumbies Sram 10 speed compatibility?

Has anyone tried running Shimano Dura ace bar end shifters (set friction) on Pauls thumbies with the newer Sram x9/x0 10 speed derailleurs/cassettes?

I'm starting to think about my bike set up for an upcoming international trip where I want to bring my mountain bike combined with some proven (to me) parts that I have off one of my touring bikes. Before I go start frankensteining things it'd be nice to hear if anyone has experience with any of this.

Thanks in advance!
    Adam.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    if you set it at friction mode, no problem using shimano shifters for sram rear derailleurs

shimano and sram shifters use the same indexed cable pull for front derailleurs, but i suppose you'll be going friction mode in front too
    biker boy

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks bb1mina. That's kind of what I thought. It makes sense that it would work in friction mode. I'll just have to set it up one day and give it a try.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    welcome

you might be interested to know that indexed shifting is far better for the rear, compared to friction mode; in the days of indexed shifting vs friction mode, it was very reassuring to hear a "click" into the right gear especially in technical situations, rather than "feeling" your way to the next gear

on the other hand, friction mode works best for the front because it allows you to "trim" the movement of the front derailleur to the 3 chainrings, removing the noisy "chain rub" that sometimes comes from less than ideal/ not properly tuned front derailleur
    Last edited by bb1mina; 10-13-2012 at 12:52 AM.
    biker boy

CS2
    mtbr member

Well Said

Quote Originally Posted by bb1mina View Post
    welcome

you might be interested to know that indexed shifting is far better for the rear, compared to friction mode; in the days of indexed shifting vs friction mode, it was very reassuring to hear a "click" into the right gear especially in technical situations, rather than "feeling" your way to the next gear

on the other hand, friction mode works best for the front because it allows you to "trim" the movement of the front derailleur to the 3 chainrings, removing the noisy "chain rub" that sometimes comes from less than ideal/ not properly tuned front derailleur
    +1.
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I've been actually wondering now that Shimano has changed the pull on their new shifters/derailleurs are mountain/road rear components still compatible (same speed to same speed)? Currently I'm running 9sp Dura-Ace bar-ends on a a Paul Thumbie with XT 771 RD on my Trek Marlin (1x9). If I want to try the new clutched mountain 10-spd RDs will the Dura-Ace 10-spd barends index-shift them?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hyperfocal View Post
    If I want to try the new clutched mountain 10-spd RDs will the Dura-Ace 10-spd barends index-shift them?
    Unfortunately that is a no. The 10 speed shimano mtn and road cable pulls are different. You can run 10 speed indexed with the new DA shifters and a 9spd shimano mtn derailleur, but you cannot run 10 speed indexed with DA shifters and 10 speed mtn rear derailleurs. That mean's no shimano clutch derailleurs with thumbies and indexing.

You can run sram clutch ders with sram tt levers on thumbies. SRAM made their 10 speed road and mtn cable pulls the same.

*this all assumes there's not some sort of jtek like adapter designed to do such things that I don't know about