mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Dream bike and components for bikecamping / UT's

I'm not much of a component guy, so looking for a dream-build, so I can, umm.. dream about building one

Frame / fork / handlebars / seat / wheels / brake system / other stuff that I have no idea about / bike-gadgets / bags / racks

Of course, the end-design would be used for bikecamping. I would assume each component would need to be perfectly blended to maintain durability, weight, and how much weight it can support. Reliability is also a huge factor I would imagine, wouldn't want a catastrophic failure when you're 100-200 miles away from anywhere. Not that couldn't happen anyways...

I'll do some research over the weekend to see what I would build, but what are your thoughts? What would be your dream bike?

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    I feel (hope)this is going to become a long thread.

I actually think about this stuff a lot and can get pretty carried away but when it comes down to it the things I really want are pretty simple.

I'd really like a steel seat post with Thomson guts. With a nice curve like the moots posts. My hope would be to get some of the compliance of ti without the cost, although I understand that getting the tubing made up would be cost prohibitive.

I would love some steel h-bars for the same reasons stated above.

I'd also like some rubber hoods for mtb levers as I find myself using them as one would use road levers, riding on the hood, with h-bars.

I like a very simple/slim friction twist shifter set. Although I may just wind up with a rohloff and that'll work itself out.

I've been meaning to draw up some plans for a space frame with integrated rack similar to the axiom streamliner series. The idea would be to have some custom bags made up to make use of all the space around the rear wheel, from the seat down.

I like to have a downtube bag made to carry water, may have to add some braze ons down there though.

I'd like to see more cvt options. Nuvicis are amazing they just don't have enough range.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Dream bike and components for bikecamping / UT's

Ok, start first with a bob trailer.

A good sleeping pad
    Appropriate sleeping bag
    Tent
    I like a small collapsible chair

Bill

mtbr member
    Opinions will be broad and varied on this particular subject I am sure, but I thought I would throw in my .02 for what it's worth. When I built up my bike I did so with the intention of alleviating as many problems as I could for the type of bike I had chosen. With that in mind, a few items I chose and would place if "I" were to build the most potentially problem free bike:

-Thompson stem and seatpost
    -Chris King headset
    -Chris King bbb set (at the time it was the known best choice and although I have been well pleased with it, when comes time to change I'd highly consider Phil Wood square taper and a White Industries crankset)
    -ROHLOFF!!! Have had one on a Moonlander for just over a year now, ridden all year in all types of weather from below freezing to 100º+ temps and all types of terrain. Love the hub and wouldn't change it...period!
    -Selle Anatomica is my current saddle, but I like the Brooks and Rivet leather saddle offerings.
    -Ergon Grips
    -Jeff Jones Loop H-Bar
    -Revelate Designs bike bags-I have a full set of them and have been well pleased with their performance. That said there are other players in the game I would like to own bags from, Porcelain Rocket (Scott Felter) and BIKEBAGDUDE (Kath n Kedan Griffith based out of AU)
    -Dogwood Designs Pogies if you intend to do any cold weather bikecamping

Items I'd like to have or try:
    -SON Dynamo hub (they now have a 135mm hub that will fit on my Moonlander, due out in July!)
    -I ride flat pedals and would like to try some Heiruspecs/Helvas from 45NRTH

mtbr member
    I'll play since I'm spec-ing a build right now with hopes that if/when cash becomes available, I'll make a move. "Dream bike" to me isn't necessarily the most expensive but one that is reliable, durable and easy to service:

Frame - Surly Ogre or Salsa El Mariachi (steel)
    Fork - Salsa Enabler (steel, 135mm)
    Shifters - IRD or Paul Thumbies w/ Dura-Ace barcons (light, simple)
    Brakes - Avid BB7
    Derailleurs - Shimano XT/SRAM X.9 level hardware
    Stem - Thomson
    Handlebars - Jones Loop H-bar
    Seatpost - Cane Creek Thudbuster
    Headset - Chris King
    Cranks - Middleburn
    Bottom Bracket - SKF square taper
    Saddle - (something that works well for my rear end)
    Hubs - Hope Pro2 cassette rear, Hope Pro2 SS front
    Pedals - Crank Brothers Candy
    Rims - Velocity Blunt 35
    Tires - varies for terrain but most likely Continental X-King w/ Protection
    Bags - Revelate or Porcelain Rocket (full set)

I'm intrigued by Rohloff hubs but have read they can be quirky and there is almost no options to do repairs in the field. This and the cost spook me.

I'm exploring the merits of different shifters. For touring/bikepacking, I'm reading good things about thumb shifters versus standard trigger shifting. Plus, you have the option to run friction or indexed.

People are probably scratching their head over the square taper BB. I have more trouble-free miles on these than any other design. Phil Woods are nice but a proprietary tool is needed. I just found these SKF models that come with a 10 year warranty and use standard tools.

IMO
    Last edited by zanq; 06-23-2013 at 05:19 PM.
    Ventana El Rey
    Felt F35
    Schwinn High Plains

Project - Surly Ogre

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Vassago Bandersnatch
    White Bros. Rock Solid Fork (yes, a rigid bikepacking rig)
    Ragly Luxy drop bars (think Salsa's Woodchipper but a tad wider and a tad shallower in the drop) with straight bar extender to attach the bag to.
    Retroshift CVX Brake levers and shifters (bar ends kill my knees, brifters are too easy to break and mtb shifters are too small for my hands)
    Brooks saddle
    Thudbuster seat post
    Single crank, 26t up front
    MSP G2 Bash guard
    10 spd gearing (have no diea which...would need to work with the retroshift levers [friction])
    AvidB7 mechanical disc brakes
    Phil Wood Hubs
    Velocity rims
    King tires.

Of course all of this is completely and utterly subject (and will) change as budget and new shiny thingies come on the market...I swear I'm part bass, shiny things always get me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Re: Dream bike and components for bikecamping / UT's

I recently built my bike packing dream bike

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    nice bike!

still trying to get a build here :S Between getting trip reports finished, 2 different UDK games prepped and finished, and normal work.. even sleep is getting hard to get these days ><

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by murf99 View Post
    I recently built my bike packing dream bike

Any chance you can share details on this?
    Ventana El Rey
    Felt F35
    Schwinn High Plains

Project - Surly Ogre

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Re: Dream bike and components for bikecamping / UT's

Sure...
    18" vassago optimus ti
    Arch ex rims american classic hubs and super comp spokes
    Reba fork (but I just put a lefty on today).
    Seven cycles ti bar
    Lynsky ti seat post
    Hayes prime pro brakes
    X9 crank with graphics removed and an hbc spiderless chainring
    And all the bags are made by nuclear sunrise stitchworks

Handle bar stuff sack has a tarptent contrail , static v sleep pad and a deuter dreamlite sleeping bag

Bar pocket has hygiene products first aid kit and batteries. ..its about half full

Front gas tank has a pocket knive , phone , ipod and head phones

Rear gas tank has repair tools

Frame bag has a 2L bladder , 2 tubes and food

Feed bags have a 25 oz water bottle on the right side and the left side has a few gels and trail mix

Another 20oz water bottle on the underside of the downtube

The seat bag has a different mix of clothing depending on the weather and a diy penny stove cook kit

I've probably omitted a few items but that's the jist of it.

Depending on the terrain I will switch between the lefty and a niner carbon fork.
    My gearing changes from anywhere between 32x18 and 32x22

Ahhh the pain....
    Generally, a dream bp bike would be....
    Ti frame (w water bottle mounts under down tube)
    Ti seat post
    Ti bars
    Super reliable brakes (bb7 or xt's)
    Fork depending on terrain but adjustable for load
    Tires depending on terrain
    Good reliable hubs (hopes, kings, etc)
    Stan's rims(model depending on bike, gear, and rider weight)
    Whatever saddle fits your a$$
    Etrex30 GPS
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    +1 on the ti.. definitely a dream-build material.

That said, I dream about custom steel too. At this point, I think the ability to fit 29+ would be a huge plus. With or without the clearance though, 135mm front and rear, non-suspension corrected, with a spare SS wheel up front.

I think for a bikepacking build practical simplicity and durability should trump the blingy and excessively weight-weenie parts adorning some other "dream-builds". BB7's (although I don't have much experience with the durability of hydro), 9-speed, and thumbies.

There's some Jonesbar fans around here, eh?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I would definetly list an Jones H-Bar as the go-to for the handlebars. Much more real-estate, and I hear its comfortable too.