Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Do it all tire 38mm-45mm size range

What do you like for addventure / tour , mixed surface, air up/down in this fast rolling size range?

Thanks

Big wheels keep on rollin
    best tire on the market is the Bruce Gordon Rock n' road at 43mm wide. The Clement MSO at 40mm is a good mixed surface tire. Both are only available in 700C size.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Rock N Road is excellent for one tire to do it all. I am using Bontrager CXO 700 x 38 cross tires, as I am on a good deal of pavement at times, and my touring bike won't quite clear the big 'ol Bruce Gordons in the rear. CXOs are lightweight (if that matters) and the tread seems to be wearing a little bit slower than most.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I'm running Schwalbe Marathon Mondials in 40 on a Surly Ogre. Very stout, good hard pack tire not a mud tire though. Very comfortable ride on paths and rough roads.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Continental tour guard, 26 x 1.75, good for paved/ smooth dirt road.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I've been using Schwalbe Marathon Plus 47-622 (28x1.75) tires. Heavy but virtually flat proof & the use of a relatively lightweight tube somewhat compensates for the added weight. I tried quite a few alternatives, including tubeless, before finally settling on the Schwalbe Marathon Plus. Would've preferred the Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tour since it has a bit more aggresive tread but the widest width is only 42-622 (28x1.60) so I opted for the Schwalbe Marathon Plus instead. FWIW, the tires have been slightly redesigned for 2014.

And despite an advertised minimum recommended pressure of 47psi I've been riding with the front at ~16-18psi & the rear at ~20-24psi. Bicycle riding weight is ~170 lbs & the bike outfitted as it is weighs ~26 lbs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks all,
    Please keep them coming.
    Currently I running Specialized Trigger (file tread / CX tire) in 700x38 (1.5") front and rear. This is a good gravel,pave,H.P. tire that comes in 33,38 & 42 FWIW. I would like to experiment with others, in particular the front (larger). I have seen the Bruce Gordon Rock & Roll x 42 , interested and thought it would make a nice front tire but, a bit concerned with roll speed on hard. Continental , has some new one's in this range for 2014...........

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    My two favorite tires in the size on my Fargo are the Clement Xplorer and the Bruce Gordon Rock and Road. I ride pavement of all types, gravel roads and farm field roads. The Clement is faster on pavement and very good on most gravel; the Bruce Gordon is terrific on all gravel and field roads/double track. For an adventure tire I believe that it would be hard to beat the Bruce Gordon tire. Both of these tires make the Fargo shine for my riding style.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    @ Rjl33
    Thanks very helpful / similar terrain, etc.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I just discovered the Rock 'n Roads today. They look like a great tire, but based on the commentary I've read they also seem to be flat-prone. I'd love to know what the recommended PSI range is and how often they flat.

I'm spoiled: I've never had a flat on either the Hutchinson Chameleons that came OEM on my old bike or the Marathon Cross that I replaced the rear with when it wore out. I'd love to keep it that way.

I'm looking for a balloon tire for my new 29er build that's flatproof, aesthetically pleasant, and suitable for both city riding and singletrack. I'd seriously consider the Rock 'n Roads if they weren't flat-prone. They seem great on the other two counts.

The Big Bens could be a good fit, but I've heard that the rubber they use in the colored versions is less durable/more flat-prone. The Fat Franks use premium rubber for their colored editions, but the tread is less suitable for offroad use.

I'd love to hear your experiences using the Rock 'n Roads, Big Bens, Fat Franks, or any other suitable options. What's the best choice for a nice looking mixed use commuter tire?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I will be interested to see how the Rock 'n Roads hold up for me-if they prove to be durable they would be nearly perfect on the Fargo. These tires have a more aggressive tread than the Clement Xplorers, so they are not quite as fast on pavement. The Xplorers have proven to be fairly flat resistant, but they do wear fast and I have had a couple of flats when the tire is showing wear. I probably only get 1500 miles or so on the rear tire-I am 220# and ride a fair amount of pavement. The Rock 'n Roads are more stable on loose gravel, the Xplorer wants to drift/slide more on the front in this situation. I have been running the Rock 'n Roads at 65psi on the road, slightly lower on gravel/field roads. I toured across Iowa last October on the Clement Xplorers-425 miles with over half of them on gravel and had no flats or problems at all.

mtbr member
    i've been very happy with the Kenda Happy Mediums in 40. they have low tread in the middle and more aggressive tread on the edges. the only flats i've ever had on them were pinch flats that were basically my fault for running too low pressure. they have been great for riding a few miles to the trail head, riding some singletrack and riding home.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Another one at 45mm / 1.75" I now see is the Panaracer Fire Cross. They made their XC MTB tire available in 45mm and typically list it under CX tires.

I had a look at the Clement Xplorers noted by a few. Nice "file tread" very file tread to the Specialized Trigger I have been running (400 miles) in 38mm. The triggers also come in 42mm I believe. Have ran pavement, gravel,fire/forest, dual track with them. No flats to date, air up on pave, down on dirt. Fast yet grippy, hard pack tire. Winner's choice of some recent large gravel grinder events I notice. I like them but, think I may want to put a 42-45mm knob'ish tire on front.

IMO- The B.G. Rock and Road's are cool from a retro pov. But, to me the tread is a bit dated and I suspect the roll resistance greater than what I want. Might make a dandy front tire.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    ONE TUBE FOR 38mm-42 to 45mm?

Anyone know one tube that handles this range rather than packing two? The cut off appears to be 38mm from most maf'ers.

I would like to run a 38 file tread rear tire and a 42 or 45 mild knob front........yet, prefer not to pack two different size tubes for flats. I prefer to pack one spare tube.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    You will have no problems using a 38-43 tube for both tires. Tubes expand and will work fine if the size is this close. Many mountain bikers running 29er tires still run 26" tubes without any difficulties.

The BG Rock 'n Road may be perfect as a front tire for you. I will try to update my experiences with them as I get more miles on them. So far, all good with the exception of a slight rolling resistance penalty which is understandable because of the knobbies. In mid October I will be riding forest roads in northern Minnesota and look forward to running these tires.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    @Rjl33
    Thank you,

My current spare tube is a 700x28/38 - 33mm, Schrader.

If I purchase a Rock & Road x42 or Pana Fire Road x45 for the front, this tube would be o.k. and I would not have to carry another spare?

If so I will order one for the front.

mtbr member
    I've had nothing but solid experiences with Schwalbe Marathons in 38mm and 47mm. They're great tires for road and dirt. I think in 5 pluse years of using Marathons in various sizes I've had a total of 3 flats. And these weren't even the "Plus" versions, just the standard. They can be a bit sluggish. Hell, I even rolled 32mm Marathons on a rainy 600k brevets twice just because I'd prefer the dependability of the tires and their sluggishness to dealing with tube changes and fixing flats in the rain, especially in the dark. Also, they're very reasonably priced.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Clement X'Plor MSO 700x40c is AWESOME. The Schwable Marathon Cross 700x38c is nice too, but a trades a little speed for quite a bit of durability.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I thought the Marathon Cross had been discontinued.

I have one in 42-559 that replaced the knobby Hutchinson Chameleon when I wore the tread off of it. The Cross was noticeably much heavier and had more rolling resistance. That said, I've never had a flat on either the Chameleons or the Crosses. Never had a problem with traction either (though the Cross occasionally looses its grip and spins in place when I try to start pedaling after taking a break on a steep offroad hill).

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    [QUOTE=
    IMO- The B.G. Rock and Road's are cool from a retro pov. But, to me the tread is a bit dated and I suspect the roll resistance greater than what I want. [/QUOTE]

You might want to try them rather than "suspect" they have greater rolling resistance.
    People who have tried them report that they are the best, and roll amazingly well on the road.
    Regards,
    Bruce Gordon

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    @ S-Trail,

I will keep that in Mind.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    The other day I purchased one of these from my local bike shop, as a front tire.

Specialized Renegade 1.8" / 45 - six low profile knob patten, fast roll, hard pack , xc tire.

I mounted it up and have done about 50 miles of mixed terrain. I left the rear trigger / 38 / file tread tire on the rear.

I am happy.

I like the speed of changing out a front tire only and for what I do (ATB,APB,ATT to utility / non mud) it has max impact versus minimal time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kingsqueak View Post
    I'm running Schwalbe Marathon Mondials in 40 on a Surly Ogre. Very stout, good hard pack tire not a mud tire though. Very comfortable ride on paths and rough roads.
    I've also been running the Mondials (700x40) on my cross bike the last year and a half. They really started to shine after mounting them up tubeless:
    - DSCF1446

Agreed on the mud, not a lot of grip there, but I don't see a lot of mud where I ride.

mtbr member

Do it all tire 38mm-45mm size range

Has anyone had success setting the BG tires up tubeless?

mtbr member
    I toured for 5 days the Great Divide Tour in Colorado with the BG Rock n Roll tires and they were tubeless too. I loved them and they provided enough grip and rolled really well. My buddy had much wider tires and I almost wished I had a bit more wide tire comfort. The tires kept the air well and I'd use them again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast