mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Cycle South - fat bike to the South Pole

My good friend Eric Larsen has pulled the trigger on what is probably the holy grail of Fat Bike expeditions - solo out and back to the South Pole on a Surly Moonlander. He's leaving for the ice next month after over two years of planning and prep. Eric is probably the most capable (if not the only) person able to pull off this kind of bike adventure right now.

Lots of info on his site: Polar Explorer Eric Larsen

Outside Mag also has a decent overview: Expedition Watch: Riding a Fat Bike to the South Pole | Outside Magazine's Articles | OutsideOnline.com

If you happen to be in the Minneapolis area, he's presenting this weekend at the Midwest Mtn Expo, as well as hanging out in the Granite Gear booth - Stop out and say hey and check out the Moonlander. Event details for the presentation: https://www.facebook.com/events/425163414203621/

mtbr member

Wow

I will be whatching this.

mtbr member
    Sweeeeet....

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    This is wicked cool!!

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    +100

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Is he doing this supported? I'm guessing yes just for the food aspect alone.

mtbr member
    My brother is on his way to pole now, though he is driving, should be there in a week or so. I'll tell him to keep his eyes open for crazy dude on bike.

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
    Very cool adventure. I'll keep my eyes peeled for updates. I wish him well.

I'm attracted to Gravity!
    This is really sweet, even though I question the lack of frame bag and bar mitts.
    And, is he getting support drops for this?
    I wonder if he talked to Mr Curiak first?

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
    I had similar questions. I wondered about why he's doing panniers with so many high quality bikepacking bag makers around and the tendency for racks of any sort to break in "normal" weather let alone the cold down there. Also, no Poggies seems weird too. Could be just a publicity pic too.

mtbr member
    Not trying to start a racks vs bags war, but let me say that racks tendency to break is greatly inflated by the internet. True expedition grade racks like Tubus, OMM or Surly's own Nice Rack have low failure rates.

Bikepacking bags might be great but they are the answer for a specific problem. That does not makes them the universal solution for all touring conditions.
    A bikepacking seatbag has something like a 15l capacity. A good rack can carry 40l panniers and a 15l drybag on top, easly.

The way I see it, racks and panniers are still the solution for true long distance self supported expeditions

mtbr member
    If he can ride the whole distance panniers are fine, once the terrain requires pushing the bike, panniers get in the way. Once you start shifting your gait to accommodate the panniers you get in all kind of bio mechanical issues that will take you out of the running faster than the cold.
    “Singlespeed, build character, destroy ego”

mtbr member
    Check out his Facebook page. It's amazing. She has had panniers made for the bike as well as a custom rack system too. I believe it's an unsupported ride.

Erik Larsen is definitely the man for this. He also has a website for the ride too

two wheel whore
    Awesome! The best of luck to the guy.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hopefully the trip is documents well. Should be a good read once it's done.