Air Pirate

Crowdfunded bike expeditions...what do you think?

I saw this on Yehuda Moon today:

Crowdfunded bike expeditions...what do you think?-yehudamoon-05-18-16.jpg

It got me thinking about an article I read on the website for Outside magazine a few years back on the topic of crowdfunded expeditions. I understand everyone is free to throw their cash at whatever they wish, but a part of me does agree with the Yehuda Moon comic that it is a form of panhandling.

I am curious, what do you think?
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Pretty cheesy in my opinion.
    But if you want to pay for my next vacation feel free!

mtbr member
    I think it's lame, but heck I think charity rides are lame as well.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    For charity rides, I sign up, pay the fee, get the shirt and then go ride my own route. Usually a better ride.

But yeah. Digital panhandling.
    Help chart the mountains at www.appalachianbiketrails.org

mtbr member
    If you want me to give $100 to cancer research that's a reasonable request.

If you want me to give $50 to support a bike ride so $50 I can give to cancer research I'm not interested.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post

If you want me to give $50 to support a bike ride so $50 I can give to cancer research I'm not interested.
    Part of me agrees, but then I do support friends who do that kind of ride. Ultimately, yes, it'd be more productive if everyone put their money directly towards the cause, and cut out the ride, walk, run, or whatever else, but it's the activity that draws attention. Also, my friends that do these kinds of rides don't necessarily do a lot of other bike riding. I want to support their biking efforts as well as the charity they're pedalling for, because I like seeing more people on bikes.

And I would agree that those funding sites are basically digital panhandling. And I say this as a recipient. My apartment burned down, and some friends set up a site to let people contribute to getting things up and running again. They had to talk me into it, but I'm glad they did. It made the process of rebuilding much, much smoother. Still, there're some mixed feelings. It was a bad situation and a lot of people wanted to help, and I was definitely in a position where help was appreciated, but it took a pretty extreme situation for me to consider that. If the situation was "I want to go on a bike ride." I couldn't do it.

On the other hand, a friend of mine just did the same thing to fund her vacation. While I don't think I could do it myself, I did not think less of her for doing it. I know she's a good person who works hard and isn't in great shape financially. I'm sure it was a difficult decision, but she reached out to friends and family to say that she needed a break and if anyone wanted to help, it'd be appreciated. If my own situation weren't so weird right now, I would have kicked some in.

But it also helps if you're reaching out to friends and family. When a person I don't know suggests I fund their bike ride, that's a hard sell. I am trying to pay for my own next bike ride. More power to them, but I would not be comfortable with that.

Proper Gnomenclature
    I think it takes no small amount of hubris to think that other people are going to fund your trip for you.

Raising money for a specific and worthy cause is a different scenario.
    Last edited by Smithhammer; 05-18-2016 at 02:17 PM.
    Advocate Hayduke
    Surly ECR
    Surly Straggler
    Salsa Blackborow

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post

Try the Pan Mass Challenge. One of the oldest cancer research funding bike events. 100% of money raised goes to the cause. 0% overhead. 25+ years now?

Air Pirate
    Some clarification is needed here: the original post was not to question/discuss the fundraising events such as Pan Mass Challenge or Bike MS. This was focused on the people who decide they want to undertake an expedition or bike tour of some sort and request funding from strangers via Indiegogo, Gofundme, Kickstarter, and others.

This is NOT about people who solicit pledges and then ride to fulfill the pledged mile/funding for donating to research, medical care, etc.

It is about those people who have figured out how to use these social media investment generation schemes as a virtual beggar's bowl that funds their bike ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    AND the giant gorilla in the room finds that all those worthy causes go to research that will never offer a cure for cancer or whatever. How many years did Jerry Lewis do his sticht with no cure in sight?
    You want to stop Alzheimer's, cancer, diabetes and most diseases dead in their tracks? Then quit eating shit, improve your diet and take care of yourself. We are always looking for that magic pill.
    I guess if it was me, just be honest and beg for money for a vacation, and you will more likely get a contribution from me rather than supporting the big cancer money machine like Susan G Komen, which has coke, pepsi and other companies that have links to cancer as sponsors.
    I had my eye removed due to cancer but after doing a lot of research, I found most of our diseases are preventable mostly through diet and then exercise.

mtbr member
    Ignoring the irony of bikes on PCT by the way. I hope that is tongue in cheek. I don't know Yehuda Moon

Air Pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackies Pasture View Post
    Ignoring the irony of bikes on PCT by the way. I hope that is tongue in cheek. I don't know Yehuda Moon
    Must be referring to:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacifi..._Bicycle_Trail

As far as Yehuda Moon...Blackie...you must read it, you would love the humor.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by richwolf View Post
    You want to stop Alzheimer's, cancer, diabetes and most diseases dead in their tracks? Then quit eating shit, improve your diet and take care of yourself. We are always looking for that magic pill.
    I guess if it was me, just be honest and beg for money for a vacation, and you will more likely get a contribution from me rather than supporting the big cancer money machine like Susan G Komen, which has coke, pepsi and other companies that have links to cancer as sponsors.
    I had my eye removed due to cancer but after doing a lot of research, I found most of our diseases are preventable mostly through diet and then exercise.
    Not all cancer charities are equal. Susan G. Komen, I find to be pretty terrible. Others, not so much. It depends. As for the causes of cancer, your stance here is far too simplistic. Sure, diet and exercise help with many, but not even close to all cancers. Certainly not the one I had and was treated for in 2008. I have a high degree of certainty of what caused it, and diet and exercise weren't even factors. They probably were factors in my ability to recover from it, but not remotely factors in developing it. Most people don't get anything close to that, so they're left grasping at straws and a good proportion of them wind up falling for at least some of the utter bull$hit that's floating around out there.

I am currently raising money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, one of the better cancer charities out there. They are funding research that directly results in new treatments that results in better outcomes. They had a hand in the research that resulted in the treatments I received, and which put me into remission (where I have remained for over 7 years now). Yes, I'm doing a 100mi bike ride as part of it. No, LLS is not contributing anything towards that effort. I'm paying for my event registration and my 1 night in a hotel out of my own pocket. I have done a number of training rides with the local "team", but those are run by volunteers.

Crowdfunded expeditions that don't raise money for anything other than the expedition itself? Shady, panhandling, and I won't go near 'em.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokchoicowboy View Post
    Some clarification is needed here: the original post was not to question/discuss the fundraising events such as Pan Mass Challenge or Bike MS. This was focused on the people who decide they want to undertake an expedition or bike tour of some sort and request funding from strangers via Indiegogo, Gofundme, Kickstarter, and others.

This is NOT about people who solicit pledges and then ride to fulfill the pledged mile/funding for donating to research, medical care, etc.

It is about those people who have figured out how to use these social media investment generation schemes as a virtual beggar's bowl that funds their bike ride.
    Ya I get your point but the begging of individuals pales in comparison to most big charity organizations.
    I Shouldn't of brought it up here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Charity rides are different to expeditions

Holidays and trips are also different to expeditions

Very very few actual cycle expeditions actually happen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    AND the giant gorilla in the room finds that all those worthy causes go to research that will never offer a cure for cancer or whatever. How many years did Jerry Lewis do his sticht with no cure in sight?
    There is more truth to this than you know.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Not all cancer charities are equal. Susan G. Komen, I find to be pretty terrible. Others, not so much. It depends. As for the causes of cancer, your stance here is far too simplistic. Sure, diet and exercise help with many, but not even close to all cancers. Certainly not the one I had and was treated for in 2008. I have a high degree of certainty of what caused it, and diet and exercise weren't even factors. They probably were factors in my ability to recover from it, but not remotely factors in developing it. Most people don't get anything close to that, so they're left grasping at straws and a good proportion of them wind up falling for at least some of the utter bull$hit that's floating around out there.

I am currently raising money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, one of the better cancer charities out there. They are funding research that directly results in new treatments that results in better outcomes. They had a hand in the research that resulted in the treatments I received, and which put me into remission (where I have remained for over 7 years now). Yes, I'm doing a 100mi bike ride as part of it. No, LLS is not contributing anything towards that effort. I'm paying for my event registration and my 1 night in a hotel out of my own pocket. I have done a number of training rides with the local "team", but those are run by volunteers.

Crowdfunded expeditions that don't raise money for anything other than the expedition itself? Shady, panhandling, and I won't go near 'em.
    I think he was referring to diabetes and other lifestyle-related diseases and not so much cancer. Some cancers do have lifestyle risks associated with them; colon and lung cancer come to mind.

Beyond a shadow of a doubt most of the medical problems we see today are wholly or in part caused by bad lifestyle.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    So who wants to help find my Baja Divide trip for January 2017?
    I am riding it to bring awareness to old short guys!

mtbr member
    So who wants to help find my Baja Divide trip for January 2017?
    I am riding it to bring awareness to old short guys!
    Damn, I was going to ride it to bring awareness to old guys in shorts!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I thought saving up funds and arranging time off (additional lost wages) was an intrinsic part – and one of the most difficult ones – of doing a trip.

Not impressed with the new gen of digital panhandlers. A certain faction seems content to use any excuse to not get off their ass, work hard/smart and finance their own projects. Dignity fail, IMO.

b a n n e d
    Hey guys, my parents will only buy me the new carbon Tallboy with the Enve wheels, but they won't spring for the Di2 (pouty face!). I'm going to start a GoFundMe page for the rest and it would be super awesome if you guys would chip in. I would get a job, but the Porsche is in the shop (double pouty face!) and Geoffrey has to do my homework so he can't drive me either. Besides, I can't be seen in that stuffy old Rolls!
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

Ride More, Work Less
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Hey guys, my parents will only buy me the new carbon Tallboy with the Enve wheels, but they won't spring for the Di2 (pouty face!). I'm going to start a GoFundMe page for the rest and it would be super awesome if you guys would chip in. I would get a job, but the Porsche is in the shop (double pouty face!) and Geoffrey has to do my homework so he can't drive me either. Besides, I can't be seen in that stuffy old Rolls!
    I think your parents are wise beyond their years. Those di2 shifters require constant attention to their battery level. Just imagine being out of cell phone range at the bottom of a canyon and not having the battery power to shift. A hike a bike in carbon soled shoes is a pita. Go with cables.
    Craigslist & MTBR --free ads for all

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    I think your parents are wise beyond their years. Those di2 shifters require constant attention to their battery level. Just imagine being out of cell phone range at the bottom of a canyon and not having the battery power to shift. A hike a bike in carbon soled shoes is a pita. Go with cables.
    Hike a bike? Pfffft . . . I'd just page Geoffrey on the sat phone and have him pick me up in the heli.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I'm currently working two jobs, 65+ hours per week to fund my own "big ride" in 2018.

Because dignity.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    In the end, it doesn't matter what we think. If he, I or anybody else did a crowdfund for a ride and was successful, then, he, I or anybody else would try again. If it works it'll go.

mtbr member
    How come Team In Training is TNT and not TIT?
    Tequila is a pallid flame that passes through walls and soars over tile roofs to allay despair. A. Mutis

Perpetually Intermediate
    Not to sound high and mighty, but as a case manager who works with severely disabled and chronically poor folks in one of the poorest states in the nation, I'm pretty tired of seeing crowdfunding links for bike tours, Phish tours or most anything for adults capable of paying their own way.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I just decided to pull the trigger on a 3000+ mile triathlon tour of sorts that I've been thinking about for years.

I've been working to set pennies aside for this trip for a long time now and decided to reach out to the Tour de Cure folks about raising money for diabetes research and education.

My funds and my funds alone will finance my trip. It's a 5 month vacation. Vacations are selfish. That's something I struggle with sometimes because I hate myself and anything fun, but I've decided whatever, cool. I need my sanity and that's ok.

...but being that it is such a selfish thing that most people "cant afford to do", these kinds of adventures have the ability to attract a lot of attention. Attention means donations. I'm going to bet I can raise much more in donations than I will be spending on this trip. I've raised plenty in the past for a few one day century rides just soliciting donations from people I already know with minimal effort.

On top of that, as a type 1 diabetic myself, I see additional value is busting stereotypes and encouraging and empowering other diabetics to take on a more active lifestyle. It becomes a vehicle to reach out to other diabetics with an example of how we can live once we stretch our legs a little, and how to do this despite our condition.

I might also be reaching out to other charities that help with conditions that other family members are dealing with, but I'm taking it one step at a time.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    There's nothing selfish about taking a vacation. You can work yourself to death and The Man will just laugh and dance on your grave.

If I didn't have so many responsibilities I'd take a year off to do some big rides. I have received a little flak from The Man for taking a month off for the Tour Divide.

since 4/10/2009
    yeah, vacations are NOT selfish. if you plan and budget for the trip, then go ahead and do it, regardless of anything else. As Ailuropoda said, "The Man" will chew you up and spit you out if you don't force yourself to step back and take a break.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I agree completely. There aren't any organizations putting on charity rides (that I know of) that I am willing to support. At this point in my life, if I have some extra money for a bike trip I'm spending it on my bike trip.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    A lot of the people who do the charity bike rides are the people who wouldn't do it on their own and a lot get company sponsorship as part of their tax deductible corporate responsibility stuff so it's not really that bad a thing. At least some money is going to worthwhile causes and folks are doing something active and interesting for them.

For the others it's just a form of sponsorship. In a lot of ways I respect their entrepreneurship for putting it out there. Sue they wouldn't get any of my cash but just like folks are willing to spend their money on all sorts of crap then good luck to them if they can skim some of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk