A guy on a bike Moderator

Colorado Trail 2013

While re-working my GPX track for next year, I learned that the Colorado Trail will likely have a major re-route around BV next year. It not finalized yet, and the Colorado Trail Foundation is asking for people to wait for a couple of months until they get all of the details worked out.

From what I can tell so far, the CT will pass on the west side of the Mt. Princeton, Antero, and Shavano--putting Buena Vista pretty far away, possibly out of easy re-supply range. But it's hard to tell if this might have any effect on the Colorado Trail Race (CTR) course, since it's not yet possible to determine where and/or how much of the new trail passes through wilderness areas, etc. It could end up that bikes continue to take the same route as they have been. For that matter, Stefan (CTR organizer) will need to decide what to change, if anything--and he can't do that until the CTF finalizes their maps.

Even though so much is unknown, I still figured that it is worth putting this out there for anyone who is making plans for 2013. While nothing might change, don't get too focused on your strategy just yet.

As soon as the CTF gets their maps completed, I'm going to start exploring. Maybe on skis if it's still winter.

On a related note, I'm not going to post my updated GPX track until I know more. I had just finished making some tweaks using the data that I collected this year, but now it looks like I might need to start again in a few months.

I'll post more when I hear more!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Not a re-route. An addition. New 80-mile addition to CT will follow the CDT in the Collegiate Peaks area. Long-existing CT route in Segs 11-15 will continue to be CT.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoTrail View Post
    Not a re-route. An addition. New 80-mile addition to CT will follow the CDT in the Collegiate Peaks area. Long-existing CT route in Segs 11-15 will continue to be CT.
    Interesting. It hadn't crossed my mind that there would be two different ways to hike the CT. Sounds like it's becoming the Colorado Trail Network!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    New route goes into the wilderness south of Winfield, and there is no practical alternative route for bicycles. Any detour to the west would have to go through Taylor by way of Aspen, which is way off trail. The CT bike route will have to remain as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by bearcreek View Post
    New route goes into the wilderness south of Winfield, and there is no practical alternative route for bicycles. Any detour to the west would have to go through Taylor by way of Aspen, which is way off trail. The CT bike route will have to remain as it is.
    Thank for the clarification, Jerry! Looks like much ado over nothing...