mtbr member

Child Bike Trailer for Bikepacking Cargo?

is using a child bike trailer for a cargo trailer a good idea? i dont want to buy all these saddles cuz i wanna tow it behind a road bike maybe

Slothful dirt hippie
    Maybe on really mellow dirt for a short distance, but you'd need a pretty wide path and a well built trailer to survive more than that. A BOB trailer might be a reasonable alternative.

P.S. watch the clearance underneath. I know our old kid's trailer canvas tended to sag fairly low if anything was on the floor.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I think a kids trailer would be perfectly fine for dirt/forest road situations. As verslowrdr noted, the width will be an issue in tighter trails/singletrack, but depending on where you plan to go, it could be just great (and free). I am also more inclined to use/reuse items I already have to avoid buying new crap. I have an older Burley trailer that I removed the fabric from (it was sun damaged and tearing) and now that the kids are too big for it, have been contemplating converting it to a grocery hauler or similar. Also looking to go on a short, forest road-type bikepacking excursion with my kids this summer and am contemplating using that to keep their load light and since I won’t be doing a lot of climbing.

If you are on singletrack, climbing, or on steep terrain, it might not be the best choice, but you just need to consider where you would be using it to see if it will work. I have also thought about whether I could cannibalize the Burley to make something along the lines of the extrawheel.

mtbr member
    I have been using a kiddie trailer for a cargo trailer for several years. I recently rebuilt it using a site box from Home Depot. From fall through spring I do all of the grocery shopping with the cargo trailer, and it is still going strong. Sometimes I haul very heavy loads.

See my build articles in this forum for more info.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I'm in the process of rebuilding 2 kids trailers. The first one I got was one of the cheapy canvas types, I took the canvas off and intending to redo it in a better color as a regular kid hauler. The second one is a solid 1 peice plastic shell with 2 seats and mag wheels, I got this one 2nd, and I have painted it to match my SE So Cal Flyer with 24" skyways on it as a kids cruiser.

Once I got the 2nd one, I decided that I would rebuild the steel framed one sans canvas and make it a utility trailer. I cut a piece of plywood to fit and bolted it down. I then put a 2 eyebolts on each side, so I could tie or bungie down any size loads. I'm thinking about permanently attaching a larger rubbermaid container, but I'm thinking it may limit the flexibility of the trailer for things like garbage cans, game(if I ever take it hunting), or a cooler for the beach.

Thinking of also making some sort of bars or poles with ropes in the corners that I could put the dogs trapped in. As finding someone to watch them if we were to go camping for a weekend is the most difficult thing to arrange the whole trip. Have you seen the prices for dog kennels? ouch.

I think it would be perfectly fine for a rail to trail or fireroad type trip, but for a singletrack with alot of climbing I wouldn't use it. But I don't really plan on taking the kid out bikepacking until they are confident enough riders of their own, so I have a few years still.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by wahday View Post
    I have also thought about whether I could cannibalize the Burley to make something along the lines of the extrawheel.
    I'm not sure thats the best idea, in my area, you can get tag-alongs, or extra wheels for kids for $50 or less, wouldn't that be alot easier to modify for that purpose?

I'd opt to do something like that, and convert the burley to a smaller flatbed utility trailer, requires no custom fab work, and then you got the best of both worlds IMO.