mtbr member

Burley flatbed trailer for touring?? Any thoughts??

Hey guys wanted some opinions on doing a transamerican tour next year with a burley flatbed trailer and some ortlieb waterproof bags. Have any of you toured with a flatbed? Also what are our opinions on the ortlieb big zip travel duffel and also a ortlieb rack top bag?? Thanks guys
    Last edited by sc10pc; 05-11-2014 at 07:51 AM.
    14 years, 6 bikes, 1 ambulance ride, 12 medals, 4 ribbons, 2 trophies, and some cool scars = BIKING ADDICTION!!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Personally, I would be reluctant to tour with a two wheel trailer unless there was a compelling reason to have major carrying capacity. It encourages over-packing, had significant wind resistance, and is extra drag on the road. I have done weekend mini tours with a burley kid trailer, and it is significantly more work to pull than a similar load in panniers.

I for sure would test any system you settle on on at least a long weekend before heading cross-country, though I am guessing you have already considered this. Good luck!

Sent from a one-finger keyboard...pardon my autocorrect

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fotooutdoors View Post
    Personally, I would be reluctant to tour with a two wheel trailer unless there was a compelling reason to have major carrying capacity. It encourages over-packing, had significant wind resistance, and is extra drag on the road. I have done weekend mini tours with a burley kid trailer, and it is significantly more work to pull than a similar load in panniers.

I for sure would test any system you settle on on at least a long weekend before heading cross-country, though I am guessing you have already considered this. Good luck!

Sent from a one-finger keyboard...pardon my autocorrect
    Well I guess what I was thinking is that because of the size of the ortlieb bag it might actually be the equivalent to front and rear panniers on my bike. I have been practice touring around and even made a few supported trips from north to south along the east coast. What I was finding is that going up very steep grades such as that in pa or wv I was having trouble with finding a good balance of my panniers on either my bianchi volpe or trek cross rip while on steep inclines. I borrowed a trailer for a tour it was I believe the croozer cargo and I like how easy it was uphill and the fact that I just flipped it and it was my camp table lol. I guess what I'm asking here is if anyone has toured with the burley flatbed and if it's any good? I'm pretty sure I want to trailer it across the us!!
    14 years, 6 bikes, 1 ambulance ride, 12 medals, 4 ribbons, 2 trophies, and some cool scars = BIKING ADDICTION!!!!

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    I have a guy that comes in about twice a year that'll ride from Chicago to California and back pulling a Bob. I brought up trailers the last time he was in and he mentions how much he likes the fact that the Bob is so narrow for riding on narrow shoulders, and that he can ride outside the rumble strips with it.

I personally like how simple the Bobs are. Less stuff to break down.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I'm not doing 1,000 mile trips but I've put about 400 miles on this so far and absolutly love it.

Amazon.com: Allen Sports Explorer Bicycle Cargo Trailer: Sports & Outdoors
    2014 Surly "OPS"
    2013 Scott Scale 960
    2012 Trek 3900 Disk

I'm a beer drinker with a mountain bike problem...

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Not a Burly, but I rode across Australia from East to West (Mudgee NSW to Adelaide SA to Perth WA) using a two wheeled Carry Freedom Y-frame trailer (Carry Freedom Website | a bike trailer revolution).
    You feel it on hills and head winds are a b#@ch!
    Saying that, if its tarmac touring your doing (two wheels are not great off road), a two wheel trailer is damned practical, albeit with the caveat of resisting carrying too much weight or bulk.
    Keep your heavy stuff (like water) as low as possible as handling is adversely affected otherwise.
    If you plan on "any" off road or poor surface touring, I strongly suggest you consider looking seriously at an Extrawheel trailer or Bob. (Bike trailers - Extrawheel.com)
    I own and use both the Y-frame and Extrawheel and happily recommend them.
    I bought my Y-frame from CRC (Carry Freedom Y-Frame Trailer | Chain Reaction Cycles).
    The Burly was going to be my first choice but at the time the Y-frame was much better bang for buck taking into account shipping to Australia.

Also I'm a huge fan of Ortlieb, utilizing front and rear Roller Classic panniers, Ultimate 6 bar bag and 31 Liter rack bag on my Ogre.
    Having swapped my Bob trailer for the Y-frame trailer, I hung onto my Bobs wet sack.
    If I was buying new, I'd have no hesitation in buying an Ortlieb version.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    I have a guy that comes in about twice a year that'll ride from Chicago to California and back pulling a Bob. I brought up trailers the last time he was in and he mentions how much he likes the fact that the Bob is so narrow for riding on narrow shoulders, and that he can ride outside the rumble strips with it.

I personally like how simple the Bobs are. Less stuff to break down.
    Absolutely correct...took the words right out of my mouth.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I made a custom two wheel trailer that has a very low center of gravity and holds a huge amount of stuff....too much. Here is the deal....a trailer adds weight. If your empty trailer is 25 lbs, that is 25 lbs that could be used in a better way. Such as water. I carried a lot of water and let me tell you...many times it was still not enough. The rumble strips are a problem with a two wheel trailer, as the space between the shoulder and the rumble pads is often very small. Many times I had to "thread the needle" trying to stay in between the shoulder and rumble pad. I got many flats on the right trailer tire, because it would inevitably pick up the crap on the shoulder...mainly goats head thorns.
    What you may not be thinking of is the downhill runs. If you think running 35 plus MPH down a hill on a loaded touring bike is scary, then try it pulling a trailer. When you are heading down a grade on a two lane highway, the bottom usually has a bridge. The problem is that the shoulder disappears as you get to the bottom, which means that at speed you need to cross the rumble pad. Not just the bike, but the trailer, which has two wheels. This shakes the crap out of you and a few times I almost lost it. Not fun.

The bob is great...but IMO it is still to heavy. The roll top bags that go on it are not light. If you want to try something, do a extrawheel trailer. You can make that very light and use any pannier that you want. It will trailer fine, and it won't cost you in terms of wasted capacity. And it will allow you to run on narrow shoulders.

OSRL