mtbr member

Building new FS bike: suggestions? Rocky Element

Hi, I'm piecing together a new exploration/bikepacking bike, and starting with an Element 29 (Element | Rocky Mountain Bicycles)

If you were to spec the ultimate trail slaying adventure bike, what would it look like?

I don't want any funky bars (jones loop bars etc) because I want to confidently ride this on any trail, as it were a normal e29. Full 780mm bars...

Wheels? Tires? Widgets? Drivetrain? Gearing? Will be sporting full frame / seat/ bar bags when necessary.

Most bomber / rebuildable hubs?

I have plenty of personal opinions, but want to crowd source some ideas!

A
    Product Manager
    RMB
    Main Rides: 14 Proto - 13 Element RSL 29 - 13 Altitude MSL - 13 Prestige RSL

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Building new FS bike: suggestions? Rocky Element

Wide carbon rims and a 1x10 drivetrain with a one-up 42 rear and a wolftooth 30 or bigger front. I like to leave a granny ring on and finger shift on the big climbs or whenever weakness strikes. Can't see using a front d on a mtb ever again, love the 1x.

Sweet frame. Good luck with the build!

mtbr member
    I would just buy whatever build kit best fits your budget and ride it. You don't need any special parts to bikepack.

Spend your extra $$ now on quality bikepacking bags and you'll figure out if any parts need replacement as you ride the bike.

A quality build kit from Rocky should be more than good enough for the first year of riding unless you are way to the Clydesdale side of the rider spectrum.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    But given the freedom to do a "dream build" what would it be? And by dream build I don't necessarily mean carbon everything, but widgets from scratch? Weird spec combos? Nothing??
    Product Manager
    RMB
    Main Rides: 14 Proto - 13 Element RSL 29 - 13 Altitude MSL - 13 Prestige RSL