This place needs an enema

Bikepackrafting Westwater.

Full TR, stills, and vid can be found HERE or HERE.

Cheers,

MC

mtbr member
    that made my thursday sitting at work while the rain dribbles on *so* much more bearable! thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Every time I convince myself that I don't need to buy one or more packrafts, you put one of these out and start lusting for one again. These trip reports are like some kind of good-for-you crack.

Quote Originally Posted by coldbike View Post
    Every time I convince myself that I don't need to buy one or more packrafts, you put one of these out and start lusting for one again. These trip reports are like some kind of good-for-you crack.
    I live in the heart of a desert and I've found a few (dozen) uses for 'em. Chances are you have more local water than I, and could find even more!

Honestly my only regret with packrafts is waiting so long to dive in. Fresh way of looking at maps, as well as (bonus!) a fresh way of looking at bikes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Why yes Mike, Canada is blessed with a (metric) whack of recreational waterways, and it is unpatriotic of me to make such poor use of them.
    So, here is a question that pops in to my head. I like to bring my kids with me. Tadhg can paddle his own raft, but... Am I on drugs to think that I might be able to haul a 5 year old and a bike with tag-along on say a baylee 2? We would not be hitting anything tougher than class 2ish water.

Haven't paddled a Baylee, so i really don't know.

You + kid? No problem on any reasonably sized boat.

You + kid + bike? Doable for sure. The boat can handle the load, it'll just require creativity in loading everything so that you can take unhindered paddle strokes.

+ tag along? Lots more creativity required. But I think it's doable. Again I don't think the weight is much of an issue, it's the size of the (stacked) load that's worrisome. You might find that the level of contrivance required to execute a trip like this outweighs the enjoyment. Just lots of stuff to carry and stow, and to certain mindsets the hassle factor would be huge.

One way to find out.