Ride da mOOn Moderator

Cool-blue Rhythm Bikepacking on a tandem

Anyone Bikepacking on a tandem? Would like to hear your experiences please as compared to a single bike.

Thanks!

Vincit qui patitur
    This is part 1
    Divided Together - Part One | Salsa Cycles

I spoke with him about it. He said it was toougher than he/they had thought.
    HAB on a tandem can really suck.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 GT Karakoram 3.0
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2013 Giant Defy
    2012 Access TCL

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Bought a tandem to take my kids bikepacking but haven't made it out on a trip yet this year. We have gone with a tag a long and that was a lot of work.

I can imagine that the tandem will be a lot harder than two separate bikes because of the weight and length of the bike. But, then again, a lot of people ride the tandem so they don't have to ride separate bikes in the first place.

As long as it's not a super technical trail, it's probably a doable bikepacking option.

mtbr member

Bikepacking on a tandem

I'm interested in doing the same thing, but my son and I are both new to tandem riding. Maybe load up the panniers and ride a few half-day out-and-backs just to get comfortable?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wxflyer View Post
    Maybe load up the panniers and ride a few half-day out-and-backs just to get comfortable?
    Yes, that would be a good idea. You might even want to do some long-ish rides without panniers and gear to get used to riding the tandem and getting your pedaling style down. With my son, I spin a lot faster than he does so it takes some time to find a good rhythm.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Have done a little more than shakedown on ours, but have the gear and mind to (not the time yet).

IMO it's just like with single bikepacking: Assuming one has the backpacking stuff down, it's more about simply doing the biking. You know you can figure out how to lash stuff to your bike. You know the bike will weigh more and be less nimble, and you'll be cleaning less than you would unladen.

The main issue for us was the drive and its reliability. I don't think a drive designed for a single bike is up to hammering on a mountain tandem, less so multi-day and loaded. I don't mind wrenching on bikes, but would rather not do it in the field, esp in the backcountry and far from parts sources. So we got a Rohloff-equipped tandem. No more bent cassette teeth, broken chains, heavy wear.

weirdo
    I thought somebody here had posted ride reports from a tandem bikepacking trips, but no first hand accounts in this thread. Is my memory out of whack, or does anyone else remember seeing some of those pictures? Maybe it was She&I`s shakedown trips? Any rate, I`m sure it can be done, however...
    Quote Originally Posted by amickDoubleA View Post
    Bought a tandem to take my kids bikepacking but haven't made it out on a trip yet this year. We have gone with a tag a long and that was a lot of work.

I can imagine that the tandem will be a lot harder than two separate bikes because of the weight and length of the bike. But, then again, a lot of people ride the tandem so they don't have to ride separate bikes in the first place.

As long as it's not a super technical trail, it's probably a doable bikepacking option.
    Must say that sounds right to me. My wife and I have a tandem and we do have a lot of fun on it, but after four years or so, we still haven`t taken any "serious" rides on it. For me, the tandem is too much work for a tough route and for my wife, her butt is killing her after a few hours anyway, so even if I had Eddy Merckx legs and lungs she`d be through before we got anywhere. We`re not alone in that respect. From occasionally browsing the tandem subforum on rbr, I get the fairly large percentage of tandemers (not all) use them to sort of even out two very disproportionate riders who want to ride together anyway.

If both riders are putting solid power to the pedals, probably a different story- Crazyguyonabike has a huge number of trip reports from tandem road tours, and I see a number of tandems in my semi-local rando series. Seems to work for all those folks even though it would be out of the question for my wife and me.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    I thought somebody here had posted ride reports from a tandem bikepacking trips, but no first hand accounts in this thread.
    The only tandem bikepacking report I've seen is the one linked to above for KR's TD race report.

I've considered getting my GF and I a MTB Tandem so we can tour dirt roads where we live. At this point the cost vs. her interest doesn't make it a high priority.

I can't see any issues for non-technical riding and I wouldn't even try to take one on a techy tour. I can't see how either of us would enjoy that.

That said doing FSR/logging road tours would open up a huge amount of awesome riding potential on our island.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com