mtbr member

Bikepacking South America!

Hola, greetings from Buenos Aires!

Im a photographer, soon to be cycling South America to make & print family portraits for those who've none.

First Ill cycle Argentina, 3000 miles along the Andes (the entire Ruta 40 and beyond) and then a new Country every other year.

In the next couple of months, Ill start cycling 1000+ miles through Southern Patagonia and other remote locations, as bikepacking warming trips. Any tip/suggestion will be very appreciated...

MUY FELIZ 2015!!!

Best regards,

Federico
    Their Only Portrait. Portraits & Cycling
    Soon to be bikepacking South America making & printing family portraits for those who've NONE. www.theironlyportrait.com

saddlemeat
    Sounds like a fascinating mission and a great journey! Are you carrying all your camera and printing gear on your bike?
    The way you can tell a man has an objective independent existence is by how well he knows the night sky.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bsieb View Post
    Sounds like a fascinating mission and a great journey! Are you carrying all your camera and printing gear on your bike?
    Looks like going from the gear list. Sounds like a great idea and ride.

Andrew

saddlemeat
    Seems like alot of gear (2 printers!) to carry with bike packs. Just curious...
    The way you can tell a man has an objective independent existence is by how well he knows the night sky.

mtbr member
    Hola Andrew,

Ill definitively be carrying everything I need to make, print, and deliver the portraits to the families right after they're made... but Im not 100% sure if Ill be carrying a smaller/lighter backup for every item, yet.
    In a month or so, Ill start the bikepacking warming trips with different gear setups in order to find the best option for the trip.

Ill also have a rear rack with small panniers, in case the bikepacking bags + backpack setup isnt enough to carry all the gear.

Saludos,
    Federico
    Soon to be bikepacking South America making & printing family portraits for those who've NONE. www.theironlyportrait.com

mtbr member
    Hi Andrew,

The printer is the most important piece of this Project and I want to have a backup just in case it fails.

Saludos,
    Federico
    Last edited by TheirOnlyPortrait; 12-31-2014 at 10:53 AM. Reason: I forgot to add the quote

mtbr member
    Seems like alot of gear (2 printers!) to carry with bike packs. Just curious...
    Hola Andrew,

Im afraid the main printer fails during the trip and thats the only reason why Ive chosen a second smaller/lighter printer.
    During the bikepacking warming trips, Ill check how the printer holds in its case (packing cube with pelican casess foan inserts). If I think it might survive 3000 miles along the Andes, Ill leave the backup printer at home (carrying just a backup camera & flash)...

Saludos,
    Federico

saddlemeat
    ^I have a feeling you are going to acquire a lot of knowledge about carrying a printer into remote country... such an awesome idea. I am a photog/inkjet printer in addition to bikepacker so I will be following your journey with interest.

mtbr member
    ^I have a feeling you are going to acquire a lot of knowledge about carrying a printer into remote country... such an awesome idea. I am a photog/inkjet printer in addition to bikepacker so I will be following your journey with interest.
    Hola Andrew,

I carried a Studio flash (+ travel pack) with the packing cubes & Pelican foam setup, in an overlanding/backpacking trip to Patagonia 3 years ago... and the studio flash seems much more delicate than this printer. I guess well know for certain in a couple of weeks

MUY feliz 2015!!!

Saludos,
    Federico

Did I catch a niner?
    I did not bike while there but just returned from Chile (gf is from there). Went as far north as Zappar and as far south as Concepcion. An amazing place to visit with ever changing landscape.

Until you get to Santiago from the South it is going to be comfortably cool the whole way. Once you start rolling North of Santiago it is going to be uncomfortably HOT.

Going from Santiago to Zappar I noticed a lot of service type dirt roads through the rolling hills on Ruta 5 and I think this would be a great area to ride through to see the countryside.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57 View Post
    I did not bike while there but just returned from Chile (gf is from there). Went as far north as Zappar and as far south as Concepcion. An amazing place to visit with ever changing landscape.

Until you get to Santiago from the South it is going to be comfortably cool the whole way. Once you start rolling North of Santiago it is going to be uncomfortably HOT.

Going from Santiago to Zappar I noticed a lot of service type dirt roads through the rolling hills on Ruta 5 and I think this would be a great area to ride through to see the countryside.
    Hola Mr Pink57,

Thanks for the message! Im not concerned about the weather as Im from Buenos Aires and I spent a lot of time travelling through South America (everywhere but the Guayanas)... and Patagonia is one of my favorite places

Saludos,
    Federico

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheirOnlyPortrait View Post
    Hola, greetings from Buenos Aires!

Im a photographer, soon to be cycling South America to make & print family portraits for those who've none.

First Ill cycle Argentina, 3000 miles along the Andes (the entire Ruta 40 and beyond) and then a new Country every other year.

In the next couple of months, Ill start cycling 1000+ miles through Southern Patagonia and other remote locations, as bikepacking warming trips. Any tip/suggestion will be very appreciated...

MUY FELIZ 2015!!!

Best regards,

Federico
    Their Only Portrait. Portraits & Cycling
    Hola!

I just returned from my first warm up trip, bikepacking Northern Argentina. I'm still backing up photos, videos, and tracks... but as soon as I'm able to put together a decent off-road touring bike, I'll be heading to Chile to ride Carretera Austral as my 2nd warm up trip!

Saludos,
    Federico

Bikepacking South America!-dscf4004.jpg