mtbr member

Bikepacking McCall's Hot Springs

Trip from few weeks ago. Fires really busted up our plans but still got in 4 good days:

Cumbria, England.
    Looks like it was a great trip! Thanks for sharing.
    - The seasons blow away, but the love is just the same -

mtbr member
    Great video! Thanks
    "Ride what you love, love what you ride"

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Nice job! Planning a 90 mile overnighter in two weekends. 4 days would be a dream - especially if I could fish, too! Thanks for the inspiration

mtbr member
    Thanks guy!

wahday: I brought my tenkara rod. The whole kit comes in at under 6oz. So, I've got no excuse not to bring it You guys have good fishing down there?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    flumphboy: Good fishing in the right places. But we have the second lowest land mass to surface water ration in the nation, so you have to search it out. Pecos, Jemez, Chama, and the Rio Grande (especially in the north of the state) have some great fishing. Never bikepacked near any of them though. And this time of year I like to go to places too hot to visit in the summer (meaning hot and dry).

mtbr member
    Ya, guess that makes sense. I'd wanna get outta that heat too.
    Casey Greene - Cartographer - Adventure Cycling Association
    http://greenecasey.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    I really enjoyed your video. Thanks for sharing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flumphboy View Post
    Thanks guy!

wahday: I brought my tenkara rod. The whole kit comes in at under 6oz. So, I've got no excuse not to bring it You guys have good fishing down there?
    Hey Casey, could you give a recommendation for a tenkara rod for bikepacking? Something that would collapse down shorter than most rods I would presume.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement." -- Mark Twain

I'm your density
    Quote Originally Posted by flumphboy View Post
    Trip from few weeks ago. Fires really busted up our plans but still got in 4 good days:
    I actually found this blog a few weeks ago from a Google search, looking for a route between McCall and Stanley. My in-laws have a cabin on Payette lake, where we go visit a couple times a year, and I wanted to do a little bikepacking next Summer. Looks like this would be more than adequate. Thanks for posting!
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    G'day.

That is a very enjoyable vid, with excellent ambiance. The trail looked to have a good variety of conditions. Congratulations on a good ride and an equally good adventure.

Warren.

mtbr member
    griz, Any of the Tenkara rods would be suitable, and be able to pack down for bikepacking purposes.

I used Foutainhead's StoneFly 360, which is a 12ft rod. For pricepoint/performance, you can't beat it. I have heard that the lilian has fallen off some of them, but never experienced that problem myself.

For smaller streams you might look at one of the rods over at TenkaraBum. Dave has a nice review of one here: Daiwa Soyokaze 27: putting the tenkara back in tenkara Bedrock & Paradox

And, you just can't go wrong with anything from TenkaraUSA.

ps. Let me know what you get.

mtbr member
    Thanks Casey, later this year, I'll pull it all together in the form of my first trip report. Cheers.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement." -- Mark Twain

hispanic mechanic
    Great video! We just moved to Boise in October, and I'm looking forward to finally experiencing the McCall area without snow.
    Oh, and thanks for opening my eyes to tenkara. Something new for me to play with this year.

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

mtbr member
    Right on Los, tenkara is definitely the way to go for lightweight fly fishing.

There's some really good stuff going on in the McCall area. And, they're getting crazy gov grants to build even more trail next summer. Can't wait to get back down there myself. How are the Boise trails?

hispanic mechanic

Trails here are really good! Foothill trails are fairly treeless and open, but there's a lot of good stuff a little higher.
    I plan on doing some bikepacking this summer in both the Boise and Owyhee Mountains, as well as trying to get up to the West Centrals some.
    I've been reading up on tenkara pretty much nonstop since watching your video! Seems like there should be some good freestone creeks in all those areas.
    If you're ever over this way, let me know.

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/