Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Enjoyin' life....

Bikepacking hammocks

I've noticed that hammocks are very popular with those that like to bikepack and those that like to stealth camp as part of their tours. Hopefully this part of the forum is a good place to ask my question.

I notice that only the Hennessy models are reviewed, used or talked about. I'm just curious in wondering if anyone has used or uses a Clark Jungle hammock instead?
    http://www.junglehammock.com/models/...ican/index.php

Weights are similar, size, etc. One is more tent like in entrance. I'm going to be purchasing a hammock and would appreciate any input. Thanks.
    Wally

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You might google ENO hammocks as well (Eagle Nest Outfitters) never used mine bike packing but did sleep on it all over Iraq. Its modular in design, a three part system; hammock, bug net, rain fly, so you can just bring what you need for your given conditions.

mtbr member
    I use a Hennessy and enjoy it, although I didn't have any exposure to other hammock types and bought what I could find at the time.

There's quite a few reviews and discussions about the various hammock types over at hammockforums.net, although it is very hard to find any information relative to bikepacking there (most of the peeps are backpackers, although they do have very similar concerns).

Also, check out bikepacking.net to see what other bikepackers are using to sleep, although it is again a bit difficult because not many are on hammocks over there.

Hope this helps.

Enjoyin' life....
    Thanks to you all for responding. I neglected to mention that I have researched bikepacking.net already and am active there. I have now checked out hammockforums.net and there is a decent amount of info but not all of it works for bicycling. Crazyguyonabike also has some info.
    I keep hearing about the weight and cost of the Hennessy being primary factors but the Clark is just as light (some models lighter) and cost is pretty much a wash. Both the Hennessy and the Clark have some nice attributes. Warbonnet, Speer and others seem less developed to me and what I'm reading or maybe they are just no frills, get the job done simplified. Its all good though. All your help has opened up some nice new reading for a cold day and helped broaden my options.
    In the end I might just go with a Tarptent, or maybe both. I've already got a nice light BA tent though and for some uses the hammock seems perfect. I've got time to figure it out.
    Wally

mtbr member
    I'll never spend another night on the ground if I can help it. Takes some getting use to, but once you get it right it's worth it.

The Warbonnet is a great hammock, don't write it off too quick. I love mine, and couldn't imagine calling it a "no frills" hammock. The foot box and shelf are pretty nice features and the fact it can be set up easily doesn't hurt either.
    "If we don't change the direction we are headed, we will end up where we are going." [SIZE=1]Chinese Proverb[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    I have both a Blackbird Warbonnet hammock and a Henry Shires Tarptent. I prefer the comfort of the Warbonnet, but if I am in a desert situation or where suitable trees are not available, I will take the HS tent. Total weight is slightly less with the hammock, but they are close enough.

-mud

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Thanks to you all for responding. I neglected to mention that I have researched bikepacking.net already and am active there. I have now checked out hammockforums.net and there is a decent amount of info but not all of it works for bicycling. Crazyguyonabike also has some info.
    I keep hearing about the weight and cost of the Hennessy being primary factors but the Clark is just as light (some models lighter) and cost is pretty much a wash. Both the Hennessy and the Clark have some nice attributes. Warbonnet, Speer and others seem less developed to me and what I'm reading or maybe they are just no frills, get the job done simplified. Its all good though. All your help has opened up some nice new reading for a cold day and helped broaden my options.
    In the end I might just go with a Tarptent, or maybe both. I've already got a nice light BA tent though and for some uses the hammock seems perfect. I've got time to figure it out.
    What makes you think other models are no-frills?

I have hung with folks at hammockforums.net and have seen Hennesseys, Clarks, Speers, Warbonnets, Grand Trunks, home-sewn, and I hang in an ENO. None of them are "no frills" to be completely honest with you. "no frills" is sleeping in the dirt with a wool blanket a-la 1850.

the great thing about hammocks is the ease of customization. You can change the entire suspension setup simple. I hang my ENO Doublenest on whoopie slings made from 7/64" Amsteel blue and tree straps. I also have an Amsteel structural ridgeline to ensure a perfect hang every time. I use a Warbonnet Traveler bug net when I need bug protection (the ENO bug net sucks), and I can sleep under any tarp I choose.

Hennessey, Warbonnet, and others have integrated hammock-bugnet systems that reduce the amount of material. They're slick.

There are gathered-end hammocks and bridge hammocks that offer a different style of lay. The only difference is personal preference.

You only notice Hennesseys more because they're popular. If you spent more than an hour at hammockforums, you'd realize that your assessment of hammocks is incomplete.

Wanderer
    My experience may be an anomaly but my ENO only lasted maybe 6 months until it ripped one day when I got in it and got dumped on the ground. Luckily just soft grass.

I still need to get another hammock as I loved it.

mtbr member
    I have found Tenth Wonder hammocks on ebay the look very well designed and I am thinking of getting one. The Hornet model Im looking at have 3 layers and have a bug net that is lifted up by poles. Has any one heard of them or used them.

mtbr member
    I've got a Hennessy hammock. It's useful for certain situations where trees are plentiful and you don't want to sleep on the ground, but they aren't particularly light or compact and given the need for insulation under the hammock in cool climates I think a light 1 man tent is going to give it a run for it's money in space/weight. If you can split a 2 man tent with a friend you'll definitely be ahead in those areas compared to 2 Hennessy hammocks.

Ultralite Backpacker Asym Classic: Product Specs -- Hennessy Hammock

I haven't tried any other brands of hammock.

The Lazy Randonneur: Search results for hennessy

For shelters I have a bivy sack, hammock and 2 pers ultralight tent. I grab whichever makes the most sense for as given trip. My last bikepacking trip I used the bivy.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    I have a speer type hammock that I made myself, and I string a tarp over it. Works great. Much more comfortable than sleeping on the ground. Easy to set up if I just want to catch a nap in the hot part of the afternoon.

Big B's Trails
    love my ENO double....
    carry the tarp and bugnet only if needed...
    hammockforums.net is a great site for info
    I dig dirt!

Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I've got a Hennessy hammock. It's useful for certain situations where trees are plentiful and you don't want to sleep on the ground, but they aren't particularly light or compact and given the need for insulation under the hammock in cool climates I think a light 1 man tent is going to give it a run for it's money in space/weight. If you can split a 2 man tent with a friend you'll definitely be ahead in those areas compared to 2 Hennessy hammocks.

Ultralite Backpacker Asym Classic: Product Specs -- Hennessy Hammock

I haven't tried any other brands of hammock.

The Lazy Randonneur: Search results for hennessy

For shelters I have a bivy sack, hammock and 2 pers ultralight tent. I grab whichever makes the most sense for as given trip. My last bikepacking trip I used the bivy.
    I will take a small increase in overall weight to have a more comfortable night's sleep anytime. Hammocks for me are not about shedding weight. They are about getting quality sleep.

A more efficient way to handle 2 hammocks would be to sleep under one tarp. i've seen several ways to do this, but the easiest would be to string up the hammocks side-by-side. I have seen them stacked before, also.

mtbr member
    I hav an ENO double, it's held up geat so far. Bike have not bikepacked with it yet. This summer I hope!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    I will take a small increase in overall weight to have a more comfortable night's sleep anytime. Hammocks for me are not about shedding weight. They are about getting quality sleep.
    I haven't found a night in my Hennessy hammock to be any better than a night in a tent. I sleep fine in either one.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    If you can sleep decently on the ground, especially without a pad, then you can come up with a tent/tarp system that is lighter than a hammock. I doubt anyone is in the mood to argue that. For me, I just sleep a lot better in the hammock, and maybe the whole homemade hammock setup weighs 1 lb more than a really expensive tent/dirtsleeping setup.

Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I haven't found a night in my Hennessy hammock to be any better than a night in a tent. I sleep fine in either one.
    then consider yourself lucky

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    then consider yourself lucky
    Indeed, I've met people like that, but it is definitely the exception. I've heard regularly practicing yoga really helps one to sleep anywhere on anything quite comfortably. I just haven't gotten around to testing that yet.

I guess hammocking in warm weather you don't have to deal with a pad either.

I have a Nemo backpacking 2man tent as well for when a hammock isn't practical.

Posted w/ Tapatalk via Android

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    hammock ftw

mtbr member
    I have a Hennessy Asym and love it. I have a tendency to sleep on my side and it's a heck of a lot more comfortable than any cot, or pad. 3 minutes to set up and take down. Best piece of camping gear I've bought in 10 years.
    Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Make sure you can sleep well in a hammock before spending a bunch of money on a fancy one. I have an ENO double I've tried to camp with on numerous occasions and for me, it's less comfortable than sleeping on bare ground. I've had my ENO for 5 years now and it's held up to my big frame (6'5", 250+). I use it almost daily in the summer on my porch.
    Just saying, hammocks seem like a great idea, but they're not for everyone...

mtbr member
    I just use a cheap fold-away nylon hammock I bought at wal-mart. Works like a charm. I can sleep all day in it.
    I live in Maine and I hate lobster.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironchefjon View Post
    I just use a cheap fold-away nylon hammock I bought at wal-mart. Works like a charm. I can sleep all day in it.
    We have way too many biting, flying things here to get away without netting.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    A mosquito bar (net) is inexpensive, and you can spray the body of the hammock with a permethrin solution. I forget the commercial brand name of that stuff right now. But, yeah, bugs are a hassle, and prolly moreso with a hammock.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ridemtn View Post
    We have way too many biting, flying things here to get away without netting.

Oh, believe me, we have enough skeeters, black flies and horse flies to go around here in Maine. I usually I put on a healthy coating of bug spray and wrap the hammock around me. Buying a mosquito net never crossed my mind, but that's a good idea. I usually always keep a rip-roaring fire going as well, and that seems to help with the bugs.
    I live in Maine and I hate lobster.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast