Bikepacking hammocks

Printable View

• 12-21-2012
    Bill in Houston
    thanks for the offer. I'll have to find some material and try it out. although colorado does sound like a lot of fun... :)
  • 12-22-2012
    SingleTrackLovr
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    thanks for the offer. I'll have to find some material and try it out. although colorado does sound like a lot of fun... :)

For me bike packing is best Summer to Fall in Colorado.
    It's really nice escaping the heat at 10,000 feet.

That said I hammock hang year round and have a group hang scheduled Feb 1,2,3 at Kenosha Pass if you want to play in the snow come join us.
    This hike/snowshoe hang is open to all hangers with winter gear.

Planning and additional info thread;

CO > Front Range > Jan-Feb: Fourth Annual Colorado Winter Hang Planning Thread - Hammock Forums - Elevate Your Perspective

Photo's of last years Kenosha winter hang. Should have snow this year.
    If there is no snow mtn biking seg 6 of the CT is very do able...

Kenosha Winter Hang 2012 - a set on Flickr
  • 12-22-2012
    Central Scrutinizer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SingleTrackLovr View Post
    After owning a cuben for 2 seasons I am no longer a fan of this wonder material.
    It's negatives out weigh it light weighness (hope that's a word)

STL, curious what you didn't like about cuben...
  • 12-22-2012
    verslowrdr
    Quote:

...tyvek seems risky. all those stitch holes look too much like perforations to me. :)

DO NOT SEW TYVEK- that's an invitation to disaster, just as you describe! Use carpet tape or tyvek tape on it. Stuff supposedly bonds w/ adhesives super well. One of my last steps in getting my kit together will be getting some tyvek tape and making loops for tying off, they're supposedly a whole lot sturdier than attempting grommets.

It's reasonably light but is hard to pack down small. But for the price.....
    Quote:

...Sometimes they go a little thin with the "sil" part of the silnylon. you can fix it by repainting it with a thin coat of caulk/spirits. of course that makes it weigh more...
    Interesting.
    The beef I heard w/ silnylon was that it tends to absorb water and become much larger/heavier. And packing up a large water soaked piece of fabric would seem sub-optimal.
  • 12-22-2012
    Bill in Houston
    Quote:

Originally Posted by verslowrdr View Post
    The beef I heard w/ silnylon was that it tends to absorb water and become much larger/heavier. And packing up a large water soaked piece of fabric would seem sub-optimal.

I had not ever heard that. But, it's been about 4 years since I really followed backpacking forums. If it's true, yeah, that is no bueno.
  • 12-22-2012
    verslowrdr
    Quote:

I had not ever heard that. But, it's been about 4 years since I really followed backpacking forums. If it's true, yeah, that is no bueno.

I think it's fair to point out that I'm from Washington state and you're apparently from Houston... "different horses for different courses" may apply.

Recently there was a thread on a local hiking board about using a poncho as shelter. Apparently it worked for some other folks until moving to Washington, where our infamous storms that roll in off the ocean killed that notion pretty quickly.
  • 12-22-2012
    Bill in Houston
    ya, i hear ya. i had the same thought on the poncho as a shelter around here. in a storm the only hope would be to roll up like a burrito and hope you don't suffocate.
  • 12-23-2012
    SingleTrackLovr
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
    STL, curious what you didn't like about cuben...

Cuben Pros:
    1/2 the weight of sylnylon.
    No stretch when wet. Retensioning during a rain storm not required.

Cuben Cons:
    Very noisy in wind and rain. I always pack ear plugs when using my cuben.
    Rain drops hitting the tarp sounds like little fire crackers.
    Provides very little shade in fact it lights up when sun light hits it.
    Longevity is not proven yet. I've seen one AT thru hiker report/post picts of delamination with continued use.

Note sunglasses worn under cuben...
    I hope these P/Cs help you in your research into cuben YMMV of course.
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8444/7...b6765602_z.jpg
  • 12-28-2012
    Dusto
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    then consider yourself lucky

Why does VikB need to consider himself lucky?
  • 12-28-2012
    verslowrdr
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusto View Post
    Why does VikB need to consider himself lucky?

Let's go back to the original statement:
    Quote:

Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I haven't found a night in my Hennessy hammock to be any better than a night in a tent. I sleep fine in either one.

Note added bold emphasis. There are some people that DO NOT "sleep fine in either one". I have a back injury that has made laying out on the ground even on a BA insulated aircore a non-sleeping torturefest, whereas the hammock is actually better on me than my own bed.

If you can "sleep fine in either" it means you have a whole lot more options open to you. I used to be one of those folks, and now I'm not, and I never knew how lucky I was until I was introduced to a whole new world of pain. :(
  • 12-28-2012
    Dusto
    Maybe VikB is just normal and you are a special needs person.
  • 12-28-2012
    verslowrdr
    Quote:

Maybe VikB is just normal and you are a special needs person.

Well since reading comprehension doesn't seem to be your strong suit... join the special club!
  • 12-28-2012
    Bill in Houston
    Probably he just got back from some time away. Cut him some slack until he reacclimates.
  • 12-28-2012
    Dusto
    Quote:

DO NOT SEW TYVEK-

Why are you yelling? You should take a time out and ride your bike.
  • 12-28-2012
    Dusto
    Quote:

Let's go back to the original statement:

Note added bold emphasis. There are some people that DO NOT "sleep fine in either one". I have a back injury that has made laying out on the ground even on a BA insulated aircore a non-sleeping torturefest, whereas the hammock is actually better on me than my own bed.

If you can "sleep fine in either" it means you have a whole lot more options open to you. I used to be one of those folks, and now I'm not, and I never knew how lucky I was until I was introduced to a whole new world of pain. :(

What a drama queen. Seriously, do you even ride your bike(s)?
  • 12-28-2012
    Dusto
    Just kidding. You are probably really cool.
  • 12-28-2012
    verslowrdr
    Quote:

Just kidding. You are probably really cool.

I'm not very cool today, my apologies.
  • 12-28-2012
    Dusto
    I accept and am sorry if I came off funny. It was not my intention for sure. I try to be aware of the fact that my words can hurt others. I am still open to some sort of friendship. Life is too short. Plus the list of dedicated bicyclists is really short. Do you know what I mean?