Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Syb
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by thesergeant View Post
    I love hammock camping but the dirty little secret that hammockers won't tell you about from the outset is bottom insulation. Sure, you technically "can" use an pad and many have, with varying degrees of sucess, but the reality is at somepoint you're going too realize you need/want an underquilt. Here's the bummer, they start at around $175 for a good down model. Keep that in mind before you jump into it.
    Our secret is out and yes, most of the population requires some sort of under insulation. My first underquilt was $100 and I combined that with my already-purchased sleeping bag and that got me down to 30 degrees. Full-length underquilts will cost you more money but just like our bikes, it's all personal preference. All this said, thesergeant brings up great points to keep in mind when/if you jump in to a hammock. And thesergeant, I really like that DIY Hennessy you made. I'm jealous of those thread-injecting skills.

Me personally? **I pee on the ground, I don't sleep on it

Quote Originally Posted by thesergeant View Post
    Also, when you get down to it, they're heavier than their ground dwelling counterparts. So I suggest that you try and sleep a few nights in a cheap, single layer hammock before you jump all the way into it.
    Hammock rigs can be lighter than a comparable tent in my experience but where I find you really save is the bulk. My hammock is 9 ounces, tarp is 13, underquilt is 24 ounces and top quilt 22. 4.25 pounds. This all fits nicely in my 2300 TNF bag with room to spare as the down compresses at the bottom of my pack and I throw heavier things on top. My tent is just under that weight but I'm still sleeping on the ground and need to find a way to fit it all in my pack. Yes, there are lighter/different tent setups out there but this is what I happen to have. See ** above.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    I've used a hammock with a closed cell pad as my bottom insulation down to about 30 degrees without taking any heroic measures, and I'm not some kind of cold weather tough guiy, either.

You will probably want some booties or loose very fluffy socks of some kind. A guy I know who has poor circulation admits that booties are a must for him.

And, yeah, in a race to super-ultralight, hammocks probably lose. I have seen pics of an ultralight rig that was a silnylon poncho rigged to enclose 3 sides of a tyvek groundcloth, using a narrow quilt as cover, and no pad to sleep on. So, yeah, if you can sleep like that, then, yeah, you will beat a hammock. OTOH, if you are looking for a little more comfort and can afford a underquilt and bag, you'll be competitive with lightweight groundsleepers pretty quickly.
    Very well said. I once saw a guy who carried two 6" X 6" pads, 1 for his shoulder and one for his hip. That, combined with his ground cloth and a sleeping bag and very small bivy was his sleeping/shelter rig. Was it light? Absolutely. Was it comfortable? Prolly not.

Check out hammockforums.net and you'll get more information than you can imagine about all things hammock.
    Syb
    Enjoy the ride

ColoradoCoolBreeze
    I just added a 3rd hammock to my camping kit.
    This one is for winter and has a breathable top cover to block wind.
    Tarp and quilts are still required to stay dry and warm.

It was custom built to my spec's. Made in the USA from here:
    Dream Hammock

04 Azonic Saber
    08 Yeti AS-x
    12 Rocky Mtn 29er Alt 970

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleTrackLovr View Post

Dream Hammock
    One of Randy's Dangerbirds! I ordered tree straps, whoopies, and adjustable ridgeline from him. REALLY nice guy doing some very interesting things. His hammock sock is intriguing since we deal with a lot of wind.

The zip-on Dangerbird cover is really clever. What did you have customized?
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

Syb
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Dream Hammock
    Schweet!
    Syb
    Enjoy the ride

ColoradoCoolBreeze
    Quote Originally Posted by verslowrdr View Post
    One of Randy's Dangerbirds! I ordered tree straps, whoopies, and adjustable ridgeline from him. REALLY nice guy doing some very interesting things. His hammock sock is intriguing since we deal with a lot of wind.

The zip-on Dangerbird cover is really clever. What did you have customized?
    I started with his netted RomingGnome 11'x60" (1.8 tafata) and had him put a 1.0 ripstop cover vs netting on it. So no net this is a winter hammock.
    I had a second zipper pull added to one side so I could set a condensation vent at the top and be able to enter/exit on seperate zipper pulls.
    Randy names it The WinterGnome

04 Azonic Saber
    08 Yeti AS-x

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    These are pretty cool. I might have to try and look into getting one. About how much?

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    $20 tops if you make your own.

ColoradoCoolBreeze
    $20 tops if you make your own.
    2X
    If you're a DIY guys making your hammock camping kit can be a blast and for little money.

Check out this post for a great DIY gathered end hammock.

Instruction: Gathered End Hammock - Hammock Forums - Elevate Your Perspective

The hammock pictures I posted above with the cover is a gathered end.

04 Azonic Saber
    08 Yeti AS-x

ColoradoCoolBreeze
    deteted dup post sorry site is acting weird
    I keep getting 501 gateway time outs but then I see the post went thru.

Bill from Houston I sent you a PM but got the same 501 error. Afraid to send it again
    don't want to spam your inbox.
    Last edited by SingleTrackLovr; 12-13-2012 at 08:00 AM.

04 Azonic Saber
    08 Yeti AS-x

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    i got it, thank you.

need to watch that video on how to make the hammock later. i use a design with no sewing at all and want to see how similar the geometry is.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I use the ENO DoubleNest System. It does great for bikepacking, car camping and just general laziness around the house. I usually keep the hammock in the car and have used it at a friends house when he ran out of couch space. I know everybody loves to save a few ounces on an exetended tour, but I always prefer gear that fits into the rest of my life also.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    2X
    If you're a DIY guys making your hammock camping kit can be a blast and for little money.

Check out this post for a great DIY gathered end hammock.

Instruction: Gathered End Hammock - Hammock Forums - Elevate Your Perspective

The hammock pictures I posted above with the cover is a gathered end.
    The way I fold my hammock body material, I make the material on the sides a couple of inches shorter than the material at the centerline. For yours, do you do anything like that? Or is your material a big rectangle before you sew the sleeve in the end?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I'm planning to purchase DD Frontline Hammock from DDHammocks. Any thoughts on that? All I've heard have been praise. Price is decent 67 euros / 89 USD delivered to Finland.

Next summer it's going to be some serious bikepacking-time!! I'm also planning to craft DIY framebag and seatbag for my Salsa Spearfish.

Any thoughts on DIY-tarps?? DDHammock has some, but 48 euros / 64 USD for a tarp seems quite expensive for me..

Slothful dirt hippie
    $64 for a lightweight tarp is CHEAP! The least expensive silnylon I've been able to find was on Campmor, and I'd want at least 10' longways.

Someone warned me about silnylon absorbing water though so I've held off on going that route. For right now I'm just trying a chunk of tyvek I bought off ebay... if I really get into this I might break down and get a cuben fiber tarp next year, but it's a hella chunk of change.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Well, whats lightweight for a tarp? I really have no clue.
    DDHammock tarp should weight about 720 grams. Thats 3 m x 3m (9 ft x 9 ft).

It says on their website: "The fabric is PU (3,000mm) coated polyester. Seams are taped."

The DD Frontline Hammock is 820 gr + tarp 720 gr + webbing 230 gr = ~1770 grams.

ColoradoCoolBreeze
    The way I fold my hammock body material, I make the material on the sides a couple of inches shorter than the material at the centerline. For yours, do you do anything like that? Or is your material a big rectangle before you sew the sleeve in the end?
    Hi Bill, I am banded from the family thread injector after attempting to sew two tree straps and broke the machine. It cost me 125 bucks to get the machine fixed.
    So i now have to rely on the mom and pop shops around the U.S. to do my sewing.

More to your question. I believe the hammocks I have are cut to a rectangle 11'x60" and a channel is sewn in the ends for the rope (whoopie) to tree straps.

Does your cutting of the corners help with a flatter lay when lying diagonal?

04 Azonic Saber
    08 Yeti AS-x

ColoradoCoolBreeze
    Quote Originally Posted by kaakku View Post
    I'm planning to purchase DD Frontline Hammock from DDHammocks. Any thoughts on that? All I've heard have been praise. Price is decent 67 euros / 89 USD delivered to Finland.

Next summer it's going to be some serious bikepacking-time!! I'm also planning to craft DIY framebag and seatbag for my Salsa Spearfish.

Any thoughts on DIY-tarps?? DDHammock has some, but 48 euros / 64 USD for a tarp seems quite expensive for me..
    I've never heard of anything negative on DD hammocks. If you'd like to do a little reading on DD's give this link a look.
    Does this hammock have a bug net? Do you need one for where you ride?

DD Hammocks - Hammock Forums - Elevate Your Perspective
    Last edited by SingleTrackLovr; 12-21-2012 at 09:24 AM.

04 Azonic Saber
    08 Yeti AS-x

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    More to your question. I believe the hammocks I have are cut to a rectangle 11'x60" and a channel is sewn in the ends for the rope (whoopie) to tree straps.

Does your cutting of the corners help with a flatter lay when lying diagonal?
    Hmm, okay. I have never made one without shortening the sides, so I can't really comment on the flatness question. I lie right down the middle, as far as I know. Shortening the sides might make anything else impossible.

ColoradoCoolBreeze
    Quote Originally Posted by verslowrdr View Post
    $64 for a lightweight tarp is CHEAP! The least expensive silnylon I've been able to find was on Campmor, and I'd want at least 10' longways.

Someone warned me about silnylon absorbing water though so I've held off on going that route. For right now I'm just trying a chunk of tyvek I bought off ebay... if I really get into this I might break down and get a cuben fiber tarp next year, but it's a hella chunk of change.
    Tyvek sounds like a great way to go. Light weight and inexpensive.
    The only down side I could see is if it would hold up in heavy winds.
    If you selected your camp site for the best wind protection your tyvek should last for many years.

I have 4 sylnylon hammock tarps different sized depending on the time of year and a cuben.
    After owning a cuben for 2 seasons I am no longer a fan of this wonder material.
    It's negatives out weigh it light weighness (hope that's a word)

If weight is not too much of an issue the best deal I've found is a Kelty Noah's Tarp 9'x9' hung diamond shaped. This gives you 12' under the hammock.

Syl nylon tarps do adsorb a small amount of water if it's really raining.
    You get an effect called misting under it. Where hard rain hitting a soaked tarp
    causes some mist to form under the tarp. It's very minimal and has not been a issue for me and I've been in some real downpours.

04 Azonic Saber
    08 Yeti AS-x

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    And buy your wife a machine with metal gears!!

ColoradoCoolBreeze
    Hmm, okay. I have never made one without shortening the sides, so I can't really comment on the flatness question. I lie right down the middle, as far as I know. Shortening the sides might make anything else impossible.
    Hi Bill,
    In the hammocking world that is called laying banana style.
    Next time you are in your hammock try laying feet left or right about 18"s and head about 18" opposite your feet. (feet right head left)
    You body should flatten out quite a bit and reduce the hyper extension of the knees.

In my 11' hammocks I can lay almost flat when I lay a little asym.
    This also allows me to sleep on my side as well.
    If I want to lay on my left side my feet go right of center line and head goes left.

Give it a try I'd love to hear if that works for you.

04 Azonic Saber
    08 Yeti AS-x

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Syl nylon tarps do adsorb a small amount of water if it's really raining.
    You get an effect called misting under it. Where hard rain hitting a soaked tarp
    causes some mist to form under the tarp. It's very minimal and has not been a issue for me and I've been in some real downpours.
    Sometimes they go a little thin with the "sil" part of the silnylon. you can fix it by repainting it with a thin coat of caulk/spirits. of course that makes it weigh more...

tyvek seems risky. all those stitch holes look too much like perforations to me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I've never heard of anything negative on DD hammocks. If you'd like to do a little reading on DD's give this link a look.
    Does this hammock have a bug net? Do you need one for where you ride?

DD Hammocks - Hammock Forums - Elevate Your Perspective
    Thanks for the tip. I live and ride in Finland, so I definitely need a bug net. Mosquitos here can be a real pain in the ass. Last summer was hideous.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Hi Bill,
    In the hammocking world that is called laying banana style.
    Next time you are in your hammock try laying feet left or right about 18"s and head about 18" opposite your feet. (feet right head left)
    You body should flatten out quite a bit and reduce the hyper extension of the knees.

In my 11' hammocks I can lay almost flat when I lay a little asym.
    This also allows me to sleep on my side as well.
    If I want to lay on my left side my feet go right of center line and head goes left.

Give it a try I'd love to hear if that works for you.
    This isn't even possible in mine. I bend my knees and lay over to the side and it works great. I need to try a hammock like yours sometime.

ColoradoCoolBreeze
    This isn't even possible in mine. I bend my knees and lay over to the side and it works great. I need to try a hammock like yours sometime.
    If you have a 11'x60" piece of 1.5-1.9 ripstop nylon laying around you can sew one up pretty fast. My latest hammock was made from 1.8 tafata or if your ever in the Denver area and can spend a nite in the woods I'd be glad to show you around. The Colorado Trail seg 1-3 are great places to bikepack.
    I have 3 complete hammock kits with tarps and under quilts. You'd just need to bring a sleeping bag for the season.

04 Azonic Saber
    08 Yeti AS-x

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast