Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Nevermind, I just found a vid of Tom hennessy himself demonstrating the Hennessy "kitchen"

mtbr member
    I'm building a custom ultralight hammock right now for a guy that's doing the AT in 2013, looking really good. Based on the Warbonnet design but lightening it up for him in certain areas. Should be really sweet...
    Clipless sucks...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    Same planet, I think.
    "This insect-killing repellent for your clothing is effective against ticks, chiggers, mites and mosquitoes for up to six weeks."
    Word on the streets is that they land on it and take off again right away, rather than sticking around and biting. But it sounds like your experience is otherwise.
    Mosquito Net Permethrin (Camping & Outdoor Equipment / Mosquito nets, netting and repellents / Insect Netting BedNets)

Yes, my experience is different. I use permethrin extensively on my clothing for ticks. It can be worthwhile to coat some gear with it to eliminate the hitchhikers that wind up biting you in the car when you're driving home (been there, done that).

But not once has Permethrin alone been of any use at all to me for mosquitoes. Some of them might get up and fly away, but it's not enough of a deterrent for quite a few of them, and you will still be bitten. It MIGHT kill most of the ones that land on you, but not until after you've been bitten.

I have had better luck with a number of other repellents for mosquitoes, but using them on gear has been met with mixed results. I haven't encountered too many repellent sprays that are worth anything for more than a couple hours. That won't get you a whole night's undisturbed rest without bites.

A physical barrier is really the only way to go. A double layer hammock with an integrated bug net will do the job. So will a hammock with a separate bug net that encompasses the whole hammock (like the ENO bugnet (even though it's heavy) and the Warbonnet Traveler bugnet - it's relatively easy to make one of these for yourself, too).

The Byer moskito hammock won't be enough to stop bites through the bottom. if you use one, you'll have to have something underneath you like a sleeping pad even when it's hot to stave off the bites.

As for circulation, it's an interesting thing. I used my hammock in Costa Rica in March and I had a nice hanging spot on a hill overlooking the Pacific in the distance. It got pretty durned windy at times. The bugnet blocked an awful lot of the heavy wind. But even with a light breeze, I could feel air circulation around me. The conductive heat loss through the bottom of the hammock is a huge advantage on hot nights, but it requires special attention with an underquilt or pad when it's cool. There are folks who hammock even in the dead of winter, and a huge tarp can really help with that. You can pitch the tarp like an a-frame tent with the edges on the ground, and with the right tarp cut, you can even close off the open ends to block even the light breezes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I made my own for half the price. Got a lot of info from hammockforums. The bug net zips almost completely off and goes in a stuff sack at the foot when not needed.

IMG_1317

IMG_1323

'Calm Down'
    Quote Originally Posted by YukonLT View Post
    You will find so many places that you could never put a tent, and you will get a better nights rest.
    I had never thought about the flexibility of where you can put a hammock until I started looking at photos at hammockforums.net of people hanging over water, rocks, etc.
    In the photo below, there were 30+ Boy Scouts in a field 50ft behind me when I took the photo. There would have been no way for them to tent in the woods due to the lack of clear flat ground. And they roasted all night while I was comfy and cool with just a slight breeze.

Quote Originally Posted by RiderInTraining View Post
    +1 for the Warbonnet
    +2 - I'm digging my Warbonnet Blackbird setup. I started down the hammock road due to a backpacking trip. But around here and for me, I can't think of a better setup for bikepacking.

jw
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bikepacking hammocks-bscampout_june2012.jpg  

Last edited by GrumpyOne; 06-26-2012 at 01:07 PM.
    -

"And single-speeding 29ers are mountain biking's equivalent of Scientologists..." - Captain Dondo

Dudette
    Great thread! I hope to start getting into bikepacking in the next year or so (I've been drooling over the Salsa Mukluk and like the idea of using it for this purpose and winter riding). I've been particularly interested in hammocks, but wasn't sure how their banana shape would agree with my back. I saw a great video review of this on Backpacker.com. Has anyone else had any experience with this product?
    Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock – Deluxe | Jacksrbetter

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    will it actually lay flat with a person in it? interesting design. i don't trust it.

my back feels better after a night in a hammock than after a night on the ground. do you live around here? i'll let you borrow one.

mtbr member
    Love my Blackbird Warbonnet and Grand Trunk Ultrlight!!!!

Flow like water
    Quote Originally Posted by petey15 View Post
    Great thread! I hope to start getting into bikepacking in the next year or so (I've been drooling over the Salsa Mukluk and like the idea of using it for this purpose and winter riding). I've been particularly interested in hammocks, but wasn't sure how their banana shape would agree with my back. I saw a great video review of this on Backpacker.com. Has anyone else had any experience with this product?
    Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock Deluxe | Jacksrbetter
    I have not tried the bear mountain bridge. I do have a homemade bridge hammock, which works well. All I can tell you is that the jacksrbetter guys are quite serious, do good design, and make good products.

Slothful dirt hippie
    Seems like every additional year I spend on this dirt ball, someone else I know succumbs to back injury. It was my turn in 2005 when my daughter was (reluctantly) born. I've now got some SI disk and nerve damage that causes sciatia that comes and goes. I used to be able to sleep anywhere on minimal padding, but these days even a BA air pad on the ground can result in very little (if any) sleep and severe pain the next morning.

Experiments so far indicate my back is waaay better after a night in the hammock than in my own bed. This is a HUGE breakthrough, as I'd thought that my days of camping might be terminated. I have a Grand Trunk for experiments, on the back porch, etc but a few weeks ago got a Blackbird.

I'm all for simple and light, but biking hard + getting no sleep + tying to get screaming body parts to function before I've even had coffee is a fekking torture. Since my PTO is measured down to 2 decimal points I'm not gonna waste it on that action. I'll gratefully carry the hammock and all its bits.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    ... I've been particularly interested in hammocks, but wasn't sure how their banana shape would agree with my back. I saw a great video review of this on Backpacker.com. Has anyone else had any experience with this product?
    Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock Deluxe | Jacksrbetter
    I can't comment on the Bear Mountain Bridge really, but it seems overkill. I use the Blackbird Warbonnet for years and even though you're not laying completely level, I sleep better in it then anywhere else. That includes my own bed as well. If I sleep to long in my bed my lower back hurts in the morning, not so in my hammock. I would actually hang one in my bed room if it wasn't for my wife.
    I'm Confused . . . Wait a Minute, No I'm Not . . .

Dudette
    Wow - lots of great information - thanks! Here in the east, our abundance of trees shouldn't make a place to hang one a problem. Does anyone have experience with hammocks in very windy conditions? Has anyone ever staked them to the ground to help stabilize them? It seems that most prefer the more traditionally shaped hammocks to those like the Lawson that have more flat bottoms (though they do seem very tippy).

Slothful dirt hippie
    The Blackbird has stake-outs to keep it from swinging around if you choose to deploy them. Having a little bit of swing is oddly mesmerizing though.

I suspect the shape of the bottom is more dependent on how you've rigged it up and how diagonally you're lying.

ColoradoCoolBreeze
    I love combining two hobbies like hammock camping and bikepacking.

Lunchtime bikeride, lunch, and nap.

Overnite

04 Azonic Saber
    08 Yeti AS-x
    12 Rocky Mtn 29er Alt 970

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Wow - lots of great information - thanks! Here in the east, our abundance of trees shouldn't make a place to hang one a problem. It seems that most prefer the more traditionally shaped hammocks to those like the Lawson that have more flat bottoms (though they do seem very tippy).
    If you look at SingleTrackLovr's "overnight" photo, you can see that the sides are pretty high. Mine has a similar shape. Rolling out of mine would require a serious effort, and isn't a problem when you move around at night or when you get in or out. Would you agree, STL? I have had all kind of kids and uncoordinated grownups in and out of mine, and have never had someone get dumped on the ground.

I have never known anyone who had one of those suspension bridge hammocks.

And you are right about it being easy to find a spot to hang. You can hang on all kinds of sideslopes and rocky places where a tent would be miserable. Plus, you don't squish all the vegetation, so if you like the LNT stuff, hammocks are good at that.

Slothful dirt hippie
    FWIW the GT Ultralight is really narrow, and the one time I slept overnight in it I just threw in the BA square pad + Marmot Helium sleeping bag. My back loved it but the whole ginormous pile of bag & pad threatened to ooze out over the side/end, lol. I probably could have mitigated this effect somewhat by raising the foot end more, but realistically a kit that bulky probably needs more than 54" wide.

I threw the exact same lashup into a borrowed ENO doublenest and had leftover fabric floating around at 74" wide. No escape issues however.

The Blackbird is 65" wide and from what I've seen and heard it should be a happy medium. A bug net is mandatory for most of our mountain travels anyway.

Dudette
    This is so cool! I hadn't heard of camping hammocks before checking out this forum. They seem to have so many more benefits to regular tent camping. Not that I have to worry about this much in the NE, but what about when camping in bear or mountain lion territory? Does anyone feel more secure in their hammock? Obviously you undergo the same precautions you would whenever you camp. I think I read somewhere about it being the perfect "bear toy", LOL, something to bat at between the trees...

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    people have suggested that a hammock looks like a giant burrito to a bear.

i expect that a tent might be microscopically safer than a hammock in bear country.

Dudette
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    people have suggested that a hammock looks like a giant burrito to a bear.

i expect that a tent might be microscopically safer than a hammock in bear country.

I had a friend suggest to me today that a hammock is a lot more ergonomically correct for the animals that wish to dine by putting you at mouth level

Slothful dirt hippie
    I had a friend suggest to me today that a hammock is a lot more ergonomically correct for the animals that wish to dine by putting you at mouth level
    Have you pointed out to him that carnivores typically eat their meal off the ground?!?

Here in central Wa we have a LOT of cats and they tend to be fairly densely populated due to the sheer quantity of game they have available, and I usually run across cat tracks on my lunch hour rides a few times a year on the ridge behind town. A few years ago I tangled up with a cougar while running my dog team at night, which got a little 'invigorating' but was resolved with a lot of cussing and rock-chucking. Washington state allows cougar hunting and biologists in the region have used hounds to tree quite a few for studies (tree-tanq-drop-record-collar). IMO this probably mitigates human/cat conflicts to at least some degree and allows the overall population to thrive, but that's another topic....

Our prolific black bears take town-trolling a step further and dine on apples, prunes, pears, etc. right from people's yards, usually at night. If you see one in daylight it's always just a very large hairy butt running away. They get hunted as well and tend to stay out of trouble on their own.

I am NOT worried about these critters. It's people that concerns me, hence my drive to get the heck away from them.

And to answer the eternal question... yes, the pope is catholic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I love hammock camping but the dirty little secret that hammockers won't tell you about from the outset is bottom insulation. Sure, you technically "can" use an pad and many have, with varying degrees of sucess, but the reality is at somepoint you're going too realize you need/want an underquilt. Here's the bummer, they start at around $175 for a good down model. Keep that in mind before you jump into it. Also, when you get down to it, they're heavier than their ground dwelling counterparts. So I suggest that you try and sleep a few nights in a cheap, single layer hammock before you jump all the way into it.

That being said, here's my DIY hammock setup. I had a Hennessy Hammock but didn't like it. My recommendation would be a Warbonnet Blackbird or a Switchback.

Flow like water
    I have to agree with most of what thesargent says.

My Warbonnet Yeti underquilt is my good buddy in any temperature below 60 degrees F. You can use a sleeping bag as a top quilt, but the under-quilt is not very negotiable if you are going to be comfortable.

I disagree slightly about weight. With lightweight suspension and down gear, a complete cold-weather hammock rig is about the same as an ultralight ground-dwelling tarptent.

Oh, and make sure you add the high-power flashlight to the cost. The astute hammock camper always surveys the upper canopy to check for dead limbs.

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    These are both more generic hammock questions, but there's a distinct lack of in-store places selling hammocks so I haven't had a chance to find out for myself.

I find that my feet get very, very cold if I have them too elevated above my heart. I'm 5'11.5" tall but 210 lbs; given the sag factor of hammocks I am a little cautious on looking in to hammocks lest I end up with a comfortable sleep but frozen feet. Thoughts/comments/anyone else have this issue?

Second question related to this is regarding what DavyRay and thesergeant say, the underquilt is there to provide under-body thermal insulation. Most emergency blankets (the reflective kind) pack down really light and small, but reflect body heat back. Could something like the heavy duty Sol Emergency blanket be a suitable alternative?

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter006 View Post
    ...Second question related to this is regarding what DavyRay and thesergeant say, the underquilt is there to provide under-body thermal insulation. Most emergency blankets (the reflective kind) pack down really light and small, but reflect body heat back. Could something like the heavy duty Sol Emergency blanket be a suitable alternative?
    It can be part of a solution, but isn't nearly enough insulation by itself.

I've been trading ideas on line with a local backpacker who like me discovered his back preferred the hammock so much that he started with some experiments to get it to work. It's a handy relationship since he's got more money for gear and time to fiddle with it, I just take what he's learned and go from there, lol. Anyway, he has a downmat 7 and added an underquilt this summer, and unlike a lot of other folks he went back to the downmat- less fiddle, less bulk, and can throw it on the ground if he has to. BUT, he modded his Blackbird with a pocket in the footbox to shove the mat into so it stays in place.

This fall I tore apart a SOL thermal bivy, turned one side upside down so the tapered foot is next to a head end, and duct taped it together to make a big rectangle blanket. I also used fabric repair tape to make some loops on the edge of my BA pad. Next spring I'll be doing some experiments with this lashup in multiple configurations, the idea being that the thermal bivy blanket + maybe some extra clothing that's always along can provide some shoulder insulation/windblock if needed. And if I get caught out in our vast sagebrush 'desert' without suitable trees, I can throw the blanket down under the pad as a ground sheet.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    I've used a hammock with a closed cell pad as my bottom insulation down to about 30 degrees without taking any heroic measures, and I'm not some kind of cold weather tough guiy, either.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter006 View Post
    I find that my feet get very, very cold if I have them too elevated above my heart. I'm 5'11.5" tall but 210 lbs; given the sag factor of hammocks I am a little cautious on looking in to hammocks lest I end up with a comfortable sleep but frozen feet. Thoughts/comments/anyone else have this issue?
    You will probably want some booties or loose very fluffy socks of some kind. A guy I know who has poor circulation admits that booties are a must for him.

And, yeah, in a race to super-ultralight, hammocks probably lose. I have seen pics of an ultralight rig that was a silnylon poncho rigged to enclose 3 sides of a tyvek groundcloth, using a narrow quilt as cover, and no pad to sleep on. So, yeah, if you can sleep like that, then, yeah, you will beat a hammock. OTOH, if you are looking for a little more comfort and can afford a underquilt and bag, you'll be competitive with lightweight groundsleepers pretty quickly.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast