Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    mosquitohammock.com

Best non-biking kit I own. On the CT, it was completely covered with hundreds of mosquitos trying to get me and none did. I was happy and comfortable.

Wanderer
    Quote Originally Posted by Toff View Post
    My experience may be an anomaly but my ENO only lasted maybe 6 months until it ripped one day when I got in it and got dumped on the ground. Luckily just soft grass.

I still need to get another hammock as I loved it.
    Finally got around to sending my ENO in and they warrantied it. I got a new one coming in!

Quote Originally Posted by Toff View Post
    Finally got around to sending my ENO in and they warrantied it. I got a new one coming in!
    good to hear. I haven't had any trouble with mine. I HAVE had tree straps pull apart in the past and send me to the ground, but never with the hammock.

and I dearly love my Amsteel whoopie slings

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I switch between a hammock/underquilt/tarp set up and just a bivy/tarp set up. Just depends on the mood I guess...

or

That was a crazy windy night.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trail_junkie View Post
    I'll never spend another night on the ground if I can help it. Takes some getting use to, but once you get it right it's worth it.

The Warbonnet is a great hammock, don't write it off too quick. I love mine, and couldn't imagine calling it a "no frills" hammock. The foot box and shelf are pretty nice features and the fact it can be set up easily doesn't hurt either.
    +1 for the Warbonnet
    I'm Confused . . . Wait a Minute, No I'm Not . . .

mtbr member
    I have the Warbonnet Blackbird DL 1.1, and just got a new Dangerbird from Randy at DreamHammock.com. Both are awesome hammocks, and nice and light. I have an ENO doublenest that I take sometimes to lounge in on day rides, or one of the many hammocks I have made myself.
    Clipless sucks...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Anyone tried a Byer? I ran into this one at REI the other day. I was about to pop for a hennessy exped asym zip but saw that this is much cheaper and decided to hold off...
    Anyone?
    Byer Moskito Traveller Hammock at REI.com

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    have not used the byer, but it looks promising, and the price is right.

mtbr member
    Not a fan of the Byer myself. I have tried every company, and owned 90% of them. IMO, there is no better hammock than the Waronnet Blackbird right now. Brandon (Warbonnet owner) is a real cool guy too...
    Clipless sucks...

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I like the byer mosquito hammock. I've had it for about 4 years now, and never had a problem with it. I'm a big guy at 6'2" @ 210 lbs and i've been very comfortable. However, I do own an eno doublenest deluxe and its way more comfortable, but doesn't have a bug net.

Quote Originally Posted by alpka View Post
    Anyone tried a Byer? I ran into this one at REI the other day. I was about to pop for a hennessy exped asym zip but saw that this is much cheaper and decided to hold off...
    Anyone?
    Byer Moskito Traveller Hammock at REI.com
    I have one. It's okay. Because it's so light, it's not the most durable option out there.

Also, the netting only covers the top. Your underside is unprotected. Expect many bugbites on your backside in the morning.

The ENO is SUPPOSED to not have a bug net, so you can use a separate one when you want one. I use a Warbonnet Traveler bug net, as I mentioned before. I like this system since the bug net protects my underside, also.

I love my cotton Byer Amazonas for the yard, though.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    Also, the netting only covers the top. Your underside is unprotected. Expect many bugbites on your backside in the morning.
    little bit of this ought to do the trick, if you are okay with chemicals.
    Sawyer Permethrin Pump Spray - 24 oz. at REI.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    little bit of this ought to do the trick, if you are okay with chemicals.
    Sawyer Permethrin Pump Spray - 24 oz. at REI.com
    I dunno what planet you come from but IME permethrin is only any good for ticks. Useless for flying insects because it is a contact insecticide, not a repellent. Not enough contact time for skeeters

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    As mentioned previously the ENO hammocks are fantastic. I have ENO's double which is very comfortable for one person. I don't have any of the ENO accessories like the rain tarp or bug net, I sourced those separately to save money. The quality of the hammock is really great, I don't know how others in the industry could surpass the quality, it seems like they have reached the pinnacle of what a hammock can be.

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    I am completely new to hammocks and think i want to give it a try.
    Has anybody got any experiences with these : DD Hammocks - Camping & Travel Hammocks & tarps, Jungle Hammocks ?
    They have a bugnet and are nicely priced and since i will be using it maybe 3 times a year i thought these could be interesting.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    I dunno what planet you come from but IME permethrin is only any good for ticks. Useless for flying insects because it is a contact insecticide, not a repellent. Not enough contact time for skeeters
    Same planet, I think.
    "This insect-killing repellent for your clothing is effective against ticks, chiggers, mites and mosquitoes for up to six weeks."
    Word on the streets is that they land on it and take off again right away, rather than sticking around and biting. But it sounds like your experience is otherwise.
    Mosquito Net Permethrin (Camping & Outdoor Equipment / Mosquito nets, netting and repellents / Insect Netting BedNets)

mtbr member
    Don't bother with the chemicals, all you need is a double layer hammock...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Clipless sucks...

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    Thank's for the link.
    I think i am going to try one of these in the near future : Proforce Jungle Hammock -- Barre Army/Navy Store Online Store
    It's big (i'm 6'5) and can hold 400pounds (i'm260)
    And the price is right as well.
    Since it will be my first go at this, i don't want to spend to much.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    For any netting-equipped hammock, the bug netting will cut down on air circulation a lot more than you might expect. Any time there are not bugs, you can flip the hammock over to allow more airflow. This may require modifying the netting support lines so that you can detach and reattach them.

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    How much restriction is there compared to a small 1 person tent ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabies010 View Post
    How much restriction is there compared to a small 1 person tent ?
    Depends on what you mean by restriction. When it comes to finding places to camp, there is MUCH less restriction. You will find so many places that you could never put a tent, and you will get a better nights rest. As far as space, well, you are enclosed in a hammock. You can move around and all that, but it will be different than sitting on the ground. This is where your tarp will come into play. If you use a tarp with built in "doors" on the end, like a Warbonnet Superfly or a HammockGear Cuben four season, you have plenty of room to move around underneath with complete privacy. One thing you will love is waking up in the morning and being able to just swing your legs out and automatically be sitting in a chair. Cook your breakfast and get ready for the day! Hammock camping is the best

Clipless sucks...

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    Thank's for the answer, but i was actually refering to the previous post on air circulation.

Your info is apreciated, but i already knew most of it though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabies010 View Post
    Thank's for the answer, but i was actually refering to the previous post on air circulation.

Your info is apreciated, but i already knew most of it though.
    Ah well in that case, there would be different variables involved, same with a tent. How close you have your tarp set to the ground, whether you set the tarp up in "porch mode", whether you even bother to use the tarp...etc etc. you have a lot more options with tarp set up than with a fixed rain fly of a tent. Some tents have vents on the ends to help with airflow, some don't.

Clipless sucks...

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Air circulation in a hammock with a bug net would be better than in a one-man tent. Plus, in warm weather, you would sleep without a pad and would have air underneath you cooling you off. It makes a big difference down here when you are trying to sleep with an overnight low around 80 degrees.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Is there anyway to sit in a Hennessy Expid Asym classic as a normal hammock?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast