Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    dirtbag

Bikepacking gear bags - who makes 'em?

Going throught the multiple threads here and I don't see one that has a comprehensive list of current bikepacking gear bag manufacturers. I've accumulated some bags from one source but have since found other places that offer them. So, in no particular order, here are some places that offer off-the-rack and custom frame and gear bags for your bikepacking rig.

Hope this helps for those looking into riding into the . Please add to the list as these are the one's I have come across so far.

*edit* cleaned up the list & consolidated in one spot

-Revelate Designs LLC
    -Cleaveland Mountaineering
    -Custom Bicycle Bags from Porcelain Rocket
    -Wildcat Gear, in the UK
    -Phantom Pack Systems
    -Bike Pack, from Poland
    -Bed Rock Bags
    -F3 Designs
    -Bike-Bag, another outfit outta the UK
    -Bolder Bikepacking Gear
    -Becker Sewing and Design https://www.facebook.com/beckerdesign
    -Savvy Sewing Custom Gear https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003513366918
    -J.PAKS_Adventure Cycling Frame Bags
    -Barking Bear Bagworks, jsnsnll@gmail.com
    -Nuclear Sunrise Stitchworks
    -OVEJA NEGRA threadworks
    -Lone Mountain Innovations LLC
    -Shift Bikepacking
    -Alpkit
    -SpoK Werks
    -Fun Works
    -Jandd Frame Packs
    -Bike Bag Dude Custom Frame Bags Australia
    -Wanderlust Gear (Wanderlust Bikepacking Gear and Fatbike Pogies)
    -Rogue Panda Designs

-Carousel Design Works (Moderator TobyGadd: After a growing number of reports of people paying for bags that were never shipped, CDW seems to have gone out of business, and their website has been taken over by squatters. I will keep CDW in the listing to inform anyone who might be searching for them).
    Last edited by TobyGadd; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:21 PM. Reason: More added.
    Amolan

A guy on a bike Moderator
    I just ordered a custom frame bag from Phantom Pack Systems. I don't have it yet, but Tim has been easy to work with so far. I'll post a review once I get the bag.

Phantom Pack Systems

mtbr member
    Carousel - I'm not sure I would include them anymore. Too many horror stories on that company.

Revelate Designs - I don't think Eric make's custom frame bags anymore, but makes high quality "off-the-rack" bags and accessories.

Woody

3 Legged Big Top
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by woody.1 View Post
    Carousel - I'm not sure I would include them anymore. Too many horror stories on that company.
    There is a lot of bad rep out there for Carousel right now. Hope they can get things corrected and get back on track if that's their hope.

There are a few individuals out there making quality gear on a smaller scale. They will build custom gear at reasonable prices.

Curtis

oops, double post due to system lag...

Woody
    I don't think that it's fair to take Carousel off the list because some people have had bad experiences. A lot of people have had good experiences as well. But the level of service isn't really the issue--it's whether they sell bags, which they do. The decision to buy from them or not should be based on reviews, word-of-mouth, etc.--not because they don't appear in a listing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TobyGadd View Post
    I don't think that it's fair to take Carousel off the list because some people have had bad experiences. A lot of people have had good experiences as well. But the level of service isn't really the issue--it's whether they sell bags, which they do. The decision to buy from them or not should be based on reviews, word-of-mouth, etc.--not because they don't appear in a listing.
    That's fair enough.

Maybe we need a sticky on gear review.

Woody

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    That's fair enough.

Maybe we need a sticky on gear review.

Woody
    That would be really helpful, especially for bikepacking gear bags. Finding a collective amount of information on them isn't the easiest.

Cumbria, England.
    Bikepack - Based in Poland.

I've been very happy with mine. Prices are spot on plus no import tax for anyone living in Europe!
    - The seasons blow away, but the love is just the same -

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hmmm.....doesn't seem like there are too many guys out there making custom bags anymore, with Revelate out of the game and people hesitant to purchase from CDW. I know someone who hopefully will be making a debut shortly who has been doing awesome work.

mtbr member

My Porcelain Rocket bags for my Surly Pugsley...very nicely made...

I'm getting another custom frame bag for my 29er MTB so I can use the seat & bar bags with that bike as well depending how fat a tire I want to run.

Custom Bicycle Bags from Porcelain Rocket

I'm not sure who else is making custom bags these days? Given the cost it's nice to get a bag that fits my frame perfectly and in the fabric I want.

He also made these custom bags for my Surly Big Dummy and Santa Cruz Nomad.

Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I'm not sure who else is making custom bags these days?
    I made my own kit and they're A LOT of work. Not only that but the cost of X-Pac has almost doubled this past month. I'm not surprised that there aren't a bunch of people wanting to jump into the market. Seems like the only real way to make it profitable is to stick to a particular frame line, stamp out all the fabric pieces and make them assembly line style.

I made one for my Salsa Fargo (medium) and love it. The learning curve was quick for me though because I have a small side business that involves sewing, so I have the equipment and the skills (The Kozie Canine - Handmade Collars, Harnesses & Leashes). If someone REALLY wants a frame bag for a Medium Salsa Fargo I could be persuaded to build one (since I have the template built already and know it's a perfect fit) but beyond that, it's just too much work.

mtbr member
    I'm in.

Just starting out.

Bedrock bags and packs
    Last edited by greenwater; 02-11-2012 at 03:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by thesergeant View Post
    I made my own kit
    Great looking bags! I particularly like the one made from pirated Tyvek bags from the USPS. You could play that one off as team issue. I recently stitched together my own teeny-tiny frame bag for a new Salsa Vaya. I wanted something small enough to just hold a cable-lock, a spare $20, and a couple of Gu packets. It turned out even better than I had hoped. I'm now going to make one for my wife's bike that will be a little larger. Not everyone is a DIYer, but if you can build stuff then the best way to get the bag you want is to just make it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bikepacking gear bags - who makes 'em?-vaya-bag.jpg  

Candlestick Maker
    F3 Designs makes custom bags...

Bikepacking Gear

I have one of their seatbags and it has been great.
    baker

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post

My Porcelain Rocket bags for my Surly Pugsley...very nicely made...

I'm getting another custom frame bag for my 29er MTB so I can use the seat & bar bags with that bike as well depending how fat a tire I want to run.

I repurposed my Pugsley's Porcelain Rocket bags to my 29er so I could go on an overnight ride this week. The bags were rock solid even when I did some stupid human tricks and crashed... I'm getting a frame bag for the 29er that will fit properly, but the Pugsley bag did okay even though I had to jam it in a bit...

It's nice to have a luggage system for my bikes that I can ride hard without having to think about my gear. Definitely an improvement over bikepacking with racks and panniers...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ConfederateLawyer View Post
    Great looking bags! I particularly like the one made from pirated Tyvek bags from the USPS. You could play that one off as team issue. I recently stitched together my own teeny-tiny frame bag for a new Salsa Vaya.
    Excellent work! Perfect fit and you can tell it was well made. I'm going to be making something similar for my Chili Con Crosso.

Does the velcro on the exterior have a function or was it just for aesthetics? Looks great either way.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I really would like to have one of those seat bags for my commute. The Porcelain Rocket by far is the most appealing. My backpack is really a pain since I always carry stuff which includes two heavy Kryptonite bike locks. I think if the seat bag can be customized to have an option for shoulder strap which resembles of a messenger bag then I would definitely have one of these.

mtbr member
    Good thread.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I went for kit through Cleaveland Mountereering.

And I wrote a review of it here;

Enduro Pulse - BikePacking Equipment 101
    ------------------------------------------------------
    http://thechargingrhino.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwanttorideatnight View Post
    I really would like to have one of those seat bags for my commute. The Porcelain Rocket by far is the most appealing. My backpack is really a pain since I always carry stuff which includes two heavy Kryptonite bike locks. I think if the seat bag can be customized to have an option for shoulder strap which resembles of a messenger bag then I would definitely have one of these.
    Scott at PR does full custom bags. You just need to explain what you want and he'll design/sew it.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    Quote Originally Posted by D45yth View Post
    Bikepack - Based in Poland.

I've been very happy with mine. Prices are spot on plus no import tax for anyone living in Europe!
    Right on !
    Getting a nice frambag (or any other gear for that matter) from the US can turn into an very expensive thing after taxes etc.

I ordered mine from : Bikebags And i am expecting it any day now.
    Communication and exchanging ideas have been great, just as the prices.
    I will post a some pics as soon as i have the oppurtunity.

Single Speed Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by TobyGadd View Post
    FYI. I actually have bar and seat bag by CDW and very happy with the quality of them. I've heard the horror stories as well, but the product really stands on their own.

Lighten up.
    Hadn't heard of Phantom Pack 'til I found this thread today. Really interested in those fendersóanyone here have a set?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Add me to the list. I've been making stock and custom gear for the past year and a half which has been used and raced on the Divide, Colorado Trail, Paris Brest Paris, Arrowhead 135, etc. I'm in the process of building a webpage but my contact info and some pictures are available in the Bikepacking.net classified.
    Saddlebags/Seat bags

Some additional pictures of the gear:
    bikepacking gear - a set on Flickr
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by 12wheels; 03-17-2012 at 04:24 PM.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast