Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Not an O2 thief.
    Feb 2004

Nuclear Sunrise Stitchworks

Hey guys and gals. Thought I'd put myself out there since I'm getting pretty quick at constructing sweet gear for myself and my friends.

I make custom frame bags, top tube bags, and a nifty and super secure bar harness/bag system. I've been making bags for a year now and have dabbled off and on with a sewing machine for my entire life....even spent a bit of time in a not so sweaty custom manufacturing shop. I use an industrial machine, quality materials, and have some techniques that set my bags apart from other manufacturers.

I do NOT make seat bags since others are mass producing those now. I've even debated not making the bar harness, but I like my design much better than the other stuff out there.

You can check out some of my work and starting prices at Nuclear Sunrise Stitchworks.

Here's a pic of my kit that I used to successfully complete my first CTR attempt. (4 days 21 hrs of some serious pounding on that gear). The frame bag is a modular 2 piece system that is bolted in to the bottle cage mounts. I can remove the lower part and use 2 bottle cages with the upper bag. Just a small sample of what I've produced.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bikepacking gear bags - who makes 'em?-2012-06-27-12.09.00.jpg  

Last edited by TobyGadd; 12-03-2012 at 02:32 PM. Reason: member request
    Roll over the weak and bunny hop the dead!

Blog this...!

El Paso Puzzler 35 or 50 miler

A guy on a bike Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by fastmtnbiker33w View Post
    You can check out some of my work and starting prices at Nuclear Sunrise Stitchworks.
    You've been added to the top list!

Cheers,
    Toby

mtbr member
    After much work refining the design of Bike-BAG over the last year we have finally developed a "generic" method to manufacture frame bags for Any Frame, we still need a template but there are many less measurements to worry about, this includes the conical frames which are becoming more prevalent.

Here is our latest offering.

Colour Options are available along with custom embroidery for Teams/Culbs etc...

The improved design is lighter, and much less bulky round the attachment points.
    What's in your Bag?
    http://www.bike-bag.co.uk

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    Hi Jon, and welcome to this part of the forum.
    I hope you will find more info/inspiration for your future products over here.
    Then i finally can go for a complete BikeBag setup.

P.

Get out there!
    Sep 2012

another for the list

Craig Fowler
    aka Scatman
    Adventures of scatman
    @Scatmanat
    Get out there!

mtbr member

Ovens Negra Bags

I've got a bag from Oveja Negra and it's awesome! They're making another one for me right now to turn my Mukluk into a hunting bike. Great product and people to work with.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I own a Revelate Designs Pika saddle bag for 4 months now and am very pleased with it. I bought mainly to use it for full day road rides or audax rides. But as I also commute everyday and also use my bicycles to go shopping, I also use it as a bicycle box to carry many things. The Pika did the job to carry 3 bottles of wine and some roquefort cheese last week !

I am not a bikepacker at all, but I really appreciate the style and modernity about this bag. I don't like old school bicycle bags like Carradice and Gilles Berthoud that force you to install plenty of other metal supports. This can swap from a bike to another in less than a minute without any tools or added parts.
    Chistole Audax Club - "Unity, Pride and Charcuterie"

mtbr member
    Anyone knows why the industry big guys like Topeak don't jump into this market?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    maybe too small market for a worldwide company like them.......

and that's a good point. I am really glad to buy handmade quality products.

mtbr member
    I wonder if the market is still that small...
    This came to my mind wile checking Topeak webside. They already have some reasonable looking fuel tanks and some of their saddlebag designs could easly be made into a bikepacking seatbag form:

TopeakŪ Cycling Accessories

Not saying that I want them to jump on the train, as having numerous smaller brands working is always better. I'm just curious why don't they do it

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
    Topeak is in a small way. Thanksfully, for those of us that make bags, they don't take the market too seriously. What I've seen that they do, design-wise, is pretty good but the material selection is typical German and quite unattractive. Timbuk2 does a better job with their top tube "Bento Box". Salsa is about the only major manufacturer but they've just employed a hand maker to do their stuff for them. Beyond that, I don't know of anyone.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

$20 (free shipping) waterproof panniers and rear rack from aawyeah.com

Cross post from "deals" section:

I just finished a one week bike tour and am very happy with the deals I got on the rear rack and waterproof panniers (free shipping on both):

Waterproof Bicycle Touring/Shopping Panniers Large Yellow/Black - AAWYEAH Bikes and Bicycle Parts

Bicycle Alloy Rear Rack for Touring Panniers - AAWYEAH Bikes and Bicycle Parts

I used to have Ortlieb panniers (which got stolen along with my bike) and would rate the aawyeah panniers at the same level, but at 1/4 the price. They also have the panniers in all black and in red.

ColoradoCoolBreeze
    A large handlebar harness was crushing my cables so my fix was to go to 10L drybag strapped on the bars under the brake and shifter cables.
    Last edited by SingleTrackLovr; 11-04-2012 at 11:19 AM.

04 Azonic Saber
    08 Yeti AS-x
    12 Rocky Mtn 29er Alt 970

mtbr member

BikePacking Gear Builder

Hello to all you Cyclist's and Bikepacker's,
    Got to love this new sport of Adventuring the Backcountry and getting out there for days on end. I have been building Bikepacking gear for a year now and wanted to introduce myself and my new company. My name is Torin Browning (T-manTorin). I live in North Idaho and am helping our Inland Northwest Community become more aware of the Bikepacking world. I love how you all are so passionate for the sport and am enjoying all the innovations that are happening on building the equipment. Amazing ideas and products out there! I'm serving the Inland Northwest and will also build equipment nation-wide. My designs are a little bit different for the Handlebar Pack and the Seat Pack. They have proved to work really well, hold a lot of content, and are very stable on the bike.

My company is called Lone Mountain Innovations.

Here is the link to my website: Lone Mountain Innovations LLC | Builder of Top Quality BikePacking Accessories

Let me know if I can help out
    Thanks and enjoy the ride of life!
    T-manTorin
    North Idaho

Quote Originally Posted by T-manTorin View Post
    My company is called Lone Mountain Innovations.

Here is the link to my website: Lone Mountain Innovations LLC | Builder of Top Quality BikePacking Accessories

Let me know if I can help out
    Thanks and enjoy the ride of life!
    Welcome! I just added you the to master list at the top.

mtbr member

Thanks TobyGadd

Hey Thanks Toby,
    Appreciate the listing. I hope to encourage our Inland Northwest Communtiy to get out there and explore our area here in the Inland Northwest using the sport of Bikepacking. We have massive opportunities and lots of trails and routes that are ripe for this sport of adventure and exploring.
    Will try to be more of a contributor in the close future with information and shop talk to help our fellow Cyclist's.
    Have a great day and enjoy the ride!
    T-manTorin
    North Idaho

mtbr member
    Hey there, FastMtnbiker33,
    I like your set up. Nice job on the two peice system. Makes for adaptability! I also like the RED material..... Nice!
    T-manTorin
    North Idaho

mtbr member

Bike-Bag Man

Hey there Bike-Bag Man,
    Greetings from North Idaho, USA.... Really nice Framebag, great looking, clean and nice lines. I love the colors Grey and Black.... I use the same colors on my bags. Keep up the great work! Every now and then I view some of your trails and adventures that you guys have over there in the UK. Beautiful area and love your enthusiastic personalities. You guys Rock!
    T-manTorin
    North Idaho

Howdy all,

It's great to read about people making their own gear. But for the sake of keeping this forum organized, I've created a new DIY/MYOG thread so that this one can remain open for commercial vendors. Please post your projects to: Make Your Own Bikepacking gear

EDIT: I moved a few threads over there to get things rolling!

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    just a short return about the Revelate Designs Tangle frame bag.

This bag is marvellous, only thing that disappointed me is that the velcro straps that are in contact with the frame tend to spoil the paint. They are very rubbish.

So I fitted a Re-load frame pad 19 inches long in black color and no more problem ! I think all bikepacking framebags whatever the brand, that use velcro straps in cordura will spoil the frame's paint, so go for a frame pad

I too make bags and I have to come to the defense of my brethern. The cordura is for durability. I sew my velcro to cordura everywhere but the top tube. The Relevates are somewhat similar if I remember correctly. It's always a trade off. I try to tell people that if they're more worried about the paint than the bike, they might want to get another bike.

To be quite honest, you'll probably never find a bag that doesn't rub the paint. No matter how tightly or of what material the bag or attachments are made you'll have that problem. The best thing to do it either put tape or protective film on your frame between the bag and the frame.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I agree with you in the way that using a frame bag will rub the frame, you cannot take this off. But there are solutions, like you said using duct tape, clear vynil sheets sticked on the frame, or simply use a frame pad when installing the bag.

To me using a frame pad is not ugly as it is black like the bag. And it stays relatively discreet and well assorted to the frame bag.

The best alternative to this is using a seatbag. But I really appreciate to have things falling just right under my hands with the frame bag when I am rolling.

I am not a bikepacker, rather more an audax randonneur rider. And all these brands mentionned are a good alternative to classical randonneur bags without needing special mounts or support (like carradice).

I was on the way to request Revelate Designs to make a custom order, but I just read their warning on their website that they no longer procuce custom orders..... too bad !
    My project was a kind of Pika seatbeag but twice wider, to be able to contain 24 liters. I wanted it to have as much space as the Carradice Super C saddlebag or Camper Loongflap.

Brigadier... I'll shoot you a message via PM as I live in Germany it's possible that I might be able to do something for you as I do mostly custom bags.

Yukon Rider

very nice set up

Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post

My Porcelain Rocket bags for my Surly Pugsley...very nicely made...

I'm getting another custom frame bag for my 29er MTB so I can use the seat & bar bags with that bike as well depending how fat a tire I want to run.

Custom Bicycle Bags from Porcelain Rocket

I'm not sure who else is making custom bags these days? Given the cost it's nice to get a bag that fits my frame perfectly and in the fabric I want.

He also made these custom bags for my Surly Big Dummy and Santa Cruz Nomad.

Scott of Porcelain Rocket is just finishing up my last 2 bags, (the frame and a tank) in the new white material like yours for my recently shipped Sasa BearGrease. Saddlebag and Handlebar bag are amazing and his attention to detail is awesome I'll post a couple pics once I have all the bags on the bike!

2013 Salsa BearGrease
    2010 Surly Cross Chek
    2008 Santa Cruz Superlight (regular tweaks)

29" french team
    Alpkit with the sting ray.
    www.vingtneuf.org : 29" pour toujours !
    http://giustobici.wordpress.com

http://bikepacking.free.fr

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast