Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TobyGadd View Post
    I just received my custom frame bag from Phantom Pack (Phantom Pack Systems), and I am blown away...
    That stuff looks great. I really like how they have used the flexible carbon fiber panels. Price is good too.

A guy on a bike Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TigWorld View Post
    That stuff looks great. I really like how they have used the flexible carbon fiber panels. Price is good too.
    Yeah, the panels, combined with an internal Velcro divider, really help keep the bag stable and trim. Great design! Tim must have a beefy sewing machine to get through all of that materiel!

dirtbag
    This thread needs to be stickied...
    Cool, can you update the first post as needed so all info is in one spot. I hate scrolling through threads to find info. I can't edit it. Something about being an old post.
    Amolan

Quote Originally Posted by ranier View Post
    Cool, can you update the first post as needed so all info is in one spot. I hate scrolling through threads to find info. I can't edit it. Something about being an old post.
    Good idea. I'll consolidate it later today.

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    Here are a few shots of the bags from Buggybags.
    I ordered a frambag from Jon, and i am happy to say that i am very pleased with it !
    The order took a bit longer than usual, but he made up for that big time !
    ( the delay was because Jon had to move, at the last moment i thought of some some changes, and there was an error made with the shipping adress that i use so it was returned to Jon twice....)

The righthand side of the framebag has 2 compartments, a small one for tools, pump and lock. (with black on black embroidery!)
    And a bigger one that has a smaller pocket inside for some small things, (pretzel M&M's in this case)
    And the Bottom of the upper compartment can be removed to create one big compartment.
    The entire left side is one big pocket for maps.
    As a bonus Jon made 2 gastank/TTbags that were a try out for some other things he's working on.
    The first one a a basic bag that is attached to the frambag with 2 velcro flaps, that will easily fit a 1.25 liter soda bottle. (the bottle in the picture is a 0.75Ltr one)
    And the second one is a bag with a window to put your phone/gps in and it will be protected from the elements and still see or use it.
    this one also attaches with 2 velcro flaps, but it has a extra piece of velcro so that it can be used on other bikes as well without having to use the framebag.

Jon has another satisfied cutomer that is already contemplating another order for a frambag..!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bikepacking gear bags - who makes 'em?-dscn0206.jpg  

Bikepacking gear bags - who makes 'em?-dscn0207.jpg  

Bikepacking gear bags - who makes 'em?-dscn0209.jpg  

Bikepacking gear bags - who makes 'em?-dscn0211.jpg  

Bikepacking gear bags - who makes 'em?-dscn0212.jpg  

Bikepacking gear bags - who makes 'em?-dscn0210.jpg  

Bikepacking gear bags - who makes 'em?-dscn0215.jpg  

Bikepacking gear bags - who makes 'em?-dscn0216.jpg  

Bikepacking gear bags - who makes 'em?-dscn0217.jpg  

Bikepacking gear bags - who makes 'em?-dscn0208.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I like the idea of that cell phone/gps window. That's neat. Haven't seen that before. Was there a reason why you chose to use that fabric and zipper combo? Seems like it would really soak up the water/let it through.

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    Quote Originally Posted by sherpaxc View Post
    I like the idea of that cell phone/gps window. That's neat. Haven't seen that before. Was there a reason why you chose to use that fabric and zipper combo? Seems like it would really soak up the water/let it through.
    I thought that it would be a usefull idea for when i am using a gps.
    And the fabric/zipper combo wasn't my idea, but it's suposed to be watertight.
    ( i will try that somewhere in the next days with a showertest.)
    Those 2 bags were just a experiment, and they were a "gift".
    And i guess i don't look a given horse in the mouth.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    This thread got me so fired up I bit the bullet and made myself a custom saddle pack for my Stratospire 2 tent. Did a proto in tyvek and then the final in 500d waterproof cordura reinforced with webbing at any wear points.

I've got plenty of detail on prototyping and assembly process here.

My aim was to get something light (finished weight 185g) that fits my tent and bike/seatpost/saddle combo perfectly. The pack replaces my tent's stuffsack and as I made all of the straps removable, they can be left on the bike or reused when its time to ditch the bike and hike up a summit to camp. I can't wait to try it out.

If I didn't have some pretty specific requirements I would have just bought one from one of the awesome makers in this thread. There's lots of work involved and the prices I've seen are cheap for what you get.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I just received my custom frame bag from Phantom Pack (Phantom Pack Systems), and I am blown away. The construction quality is incredible–so much attention to detail, such as zipper-pull covers, reinforced stress points, carbon fiber side panels, etc. A perfect fit, and actually much lighter than I expected. Very simply, this is the one of the best pieces of gear that I’ve ever purchased–and an awesome deal at any price.

I’ve also got some gear from the “big” names in bikepacking gear, and Tim’s stuff is even better.

For those who aren’t into the default color scheme of the gear listed on his website, Tim will let you choose your own colors. I went with all-black, and it looks GREAT!
    Did you order the bags from the within the U.S.? If so, was there any issue any duty fees?

"If ordering from outside Canada,Any Duties/Border fees are the customers responsibility" ?.

Thanks
    The truth will set you free... But first it will piss you off

Quote Originally Posted by b3ksmith View Post
    Did you order the bags from the within the U.S.? If so, was there any issue any duty fees?

"If ordering from outside Canada,Any Duties/Border fees are the customers responsibility" ?.

Thanks
    Nope, didn't pay anything extra. It shipped quickly and problem-free. I'm in Colorado.

mtbr member
    Good informative thread. And nice bag, Rabies. I've got to see the bags and bike irl at a Benelux-meeting sometime soon!
    Fat-bike.com is awesomely delicious!

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    For us Europeans, i think the bags Jon is making are some of the nicest and cost friendly options.
    Every bag is a one off, and custom wishes are possible and cost very little.
    I have also suggested some other designs and bags, and he is taking them in consideration.
    So if enough people will ask for them, i am sure he will come up with a new and improved line of products.
    I really like ordering and working with small company's/fabricators like this, and that's where i like to spend my money as well.
    I currently am in the proces of ordering a set of custom fenders for the Pugsley from someone else, and communications with this guy is also very good.

FrankZ, where are you located ?
    Last edited by Rabies010; 03-28-2012 at 05:56 AM.

mtbr member
    @Rabies:
    M'tricht.

I've got a 'saddlebag' from BP, Poland, and I like the finish and communication too. I'm tempted to order a framebag from him. Just have to choose between the Pugs and my Fargo. Leadtime is now approximately 6 weeks.

mtbr member
    @Rabies:
    M'tricht.

I've got a 'saddlebag' from BP, Poland, and I like the finish and communication too. I'm tempted to order a frame bag from him. Just have to choose between the Pugs and my Fargo. Lead time is now approximately 6 weeks.

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Z View Post
    @Rabies:
    M'tricht.

I've got a 'saddlebag' from BP, Poland, and I like the finish and communication too. I'm tempted to order a frame bag from him. Just have to choose between the Pugs and my Fargo. Lead time is now approximately 6 weeks.
    FrankZ, the prices of those bags are very good as well.

BTW.
    Is it possible to go camping in the wild anywhere in your area ?
    Or maybe some farmer that have a small camping place out in the back ?
    I have been thinking about taking a small trip to Limburg (or maybe Terschelling) for a while now, but i don't like the idea of having to stay at a regular campground with all the screaming kids, (drunk) parents etc...

mtbr member
    Pb-ed you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I just got all my gear from Revelate. Pika seat bag, the Sling for the front of the bars and a Jerrycan rear gas tank. Everything looks top notch and is a great fit. Also was shipped super fast. The Sling will hold an REI dry sack, and I'm also going to get a cheapo gas tank (Revelate one won't fit, as my stem has no spacers under it)

-Tom

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    Quote Originally Posted by sherpaxc View Post
    A quick update on this..:
    The bags are watertight (yesterday my waterbottle got opened by accident, and wothing came out of the bag !) , the zippers are not.
    Jon is not used (yet) to making bags with finer zips, because for his normal bags he uses other bigger ones.
    But ihe asked me to return them to him, and he would do some opgrades en them at no charge.
    I am happy to do this and help him with the furthe development of his products.

Also i had a great idea that i am working out with him that will probably will be a great bag for the shorter rides on my SS in the summertime.
    I hope to reveal it in the very near future.

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    Here is are 2 pictures of the template that i made up for a very special bag for my Summer-SSer.
    It may look like nothing fancy, but it will end up being one of the coolest bags around.

More of this in a few weeks....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bikepacking gear bags - who makes 'em?-dscn0376.jpg  

Bikepacking gear bags - who makes 'em?-dscn0378.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2011
    What's the best fabric to use if I'm going to build my own? I'm wondering if a tarp like material would work if I sew a liner in it.

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cup View Post
    What's the best fabric to use if I'm going to build my own? I'm wondering if a tarp like material would work if I sew a liner in it.
    Most people would probably recommend XPac. Just type it in Google. There are a number of US outlets.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I bought all my packs from Greg 12 Wheels, Bolder Bikepacking Gear and have loved each bag. They all fit teh bike perfect and Greg was great to work with. All bags arrived on time and were exactly as ordered. All my bags in the future will come from Greg and I highly recommed his services...

mtbr member
    May 2012

Barking Bear Bagworks

Just a quick post about my bags. Barking Bear Bagworks is the name I sew under. I've been doing framebags mostly but, I just made a seatbag and tested it out. It looks and works great if I do say so myself. Anyway, I don't have a website but, if you are interested check out fat-bike.com, they did a nice little write up on me a month or so ago. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by barkingbear View Post
    Just a quick post about my bags. Barking Bear Bagworks is the name I sew under. I've been doing framebags mostly but, I just made a seatbag and tested it out. It looks and works great if I do say so myself. Anyway, I don't have a website but, if you are interested check out fat-bike.com, they did a nice little write up on me a month or so ago. Thanks
    Good to hear that there's another gear maker out there. PM me your contact info, and I'll add you to the first post in this thread.

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
    There's a bunch of us as of late. The number keep growing. I too, am doing mostly frame and top tube bags. I will attempt the bar and seat bags when I get back from the TDR. We'll see how my own frame and top tube bags hold up to the punishment.

Maybe we need to have a world-wide bag makers summit! :-)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast