Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    R.I.P. Pugsley.
    That cut out for your hand is a great idea !
    I will keep that in the back of my head for my next one.

3 Legged Big Top
    Mar 2009
    Here's a setup that 12wheels built for my BigTop. Quality gear, worthy of being included on the list above.

Bikepacking gear bags - who makes 'em?-bikepacking-bikes-001-small-.jpg

Bikepacking gear bags - who makes 'em?-bikepacking-bikes-005-small-.jpg

Bikepacking gear bags - who makes 'em?-bikepacking-bikes-006-small-.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I don't want this to be controversial, but those that are looking to buy some new bags need to really look at the detailing and compare to others. Some of these makers are for sure making a good product that would without a doubt work, but there are a couple other makers out there that are making a product that are above and beyond the others. The devil is in the details. Look at strap placement, stabalizing features to prevent rear bag sway, internal dividers (that come standard).

Like I said, pretty much anything that holds something will work. But if you're going to spend some cash on something custom made or even off the shelf from a bag maker I would encourage you to do some research on who is providing, "the most bang for your buck."

A guy on a bike Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by sherpaxc View Post
    I don't want this to be controversial, but those that are looking to buy some new bags need to really look at the detailing and compare to others. Some of these makers are for sure making a good product that would without a doubt work, but there are a couple other makers out there that are making a product that are above and beyond the others. The devil is in the details. Look at strap placement, stabalizing features to prevent rear bag sway, internal dividers (that come standard).

Like I said, pretty much anything that holds something will work. But if you're going to spend some cash on something custom made or even off the shelf from a bag maker I would encourage you to do some research on who is providing, "the most bang for your buck."
    Good advice, but hard to follow. Almost all of the guys supplying this gear do so my mail, so there's no way to physically compare the different products. It makes choosing really hard.

Maybe somebody needs to convince these guys to send them a kit for comparison--and then write up a comprehensive comparative review. Consumer Reports style! Anyone work at a bike magazine that could take this up?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Yeah, I'm being vague for a reason. I just don't feel like starting a pissing match, but there is some major differences in engineering differences in some of these bags. I've been around for a while and have 2 rear seat packs from different builders and have physically tested (ridden with) bags from 2 others. There are glaring differences between the upper tier builders and others.

You're right though, it would be nice to have someone like Dave C do a gear review like he does on backpackinglight. I know he is writing an article about bikepacking but my "hunch" is that it's more about a "how to" instead of the more technical features of different builders.

You're right though, it would be nice to have someone like Dave C do a gear review like he does on backpackinglight. I know he is writing an article about bikepacking but my "hunch" is that it's more about a "how to" instead of the more technical features of different builders.
    Maybe I'll e-mail Dave C. I love his backpacking site, and I agree that he'd do an awesome job of reviewing bikepacking gear!

Candlestick Maker
    Yeah, I'm being vague for a reason. I just don't feel like starting a pissing match, but there is some major differences in engineering differences in some of these bags. I've been around for a while and have 2 rear seat packs from different builders and have physically tested (ridden with) bags from 2 others. There are glaring differences between the upper tier builders and others.
    I'd appreciate hearing the differences from someone with first-hand experience...not just insinuations, since I have no clue what you've used or been happy with.

Critiques from experienced users could help producers and consumers. Please detail the glaring differences that make a bag a great bag.
    baker

Quote Originally Posted by baker View Post
    I'd appreciate hearing the differences from someone with first-hand experience...not just insinuations, since I have no clue what you've used or been happy with.

Critiques from experienced users could help producers and consumers. Please detail the glaring differences that make a bag a great bag.
    I can understand why he's being careful. A guy had his post removed for stating his opinions about a couple of manufactures. While MTBR.com seems a little calmer about dissenting opinions, I think that a lot of people get pretty heated about these things...

Caveman
    Hey Toby,
    Dave did in fact conduct test / review last year of Revelate, Carousel and PR seat bags for BPL. I'm not sure what the publishing status is.

The BPL articles will be in three parts: introduction/basic how-to, backpack review, seatbag review. I have no insight into the publishing schedule. Should be soon(ish). The seatbag review is as much an overview of rackless carry systems as it is a head to head review. Such an approach dovetails nicely with BPLs mission exactly because you need a reasonably streamlined kit for the seatbag/framepack paradigm to work well. The piece needed to be as much about technique as anything because, horrid looking rigs at the TD startline nonewithstanding, you can't just buy a seatbag and call it good.

Revelate and Porcelain participated. Carousel was interested, but was not included. Jeff Boatman was rightly loath to provide just a seatbag, being concerned that this wouldn't represent his brand well. He offered to send me his personal bike/kit, which was very generous, and we had some very illuminating conversations about bikepacking. In the end I didn't have the (considerable) time it would have taken to do justice to something as complex as a full kit and a new-to-me bike.

To get the full scope you'll have to read the article(s), but I can say what most already know: that Revelate and Porcelain make extraordinarily high-quality stuff. I see a fair amount of gear, and in terms of design and execution would put either up next to any manufacturer of outdoor gear of which I'm aware. Mainstream or cottage, in any discipline. And much better than many well-respected brands in either category.

-Dave C, BPL staff, but not writing here as BPL staff

Thanks Dave C!

Now, you just need to add in the other little guys!

I knew this was an expanding area of interest, but hadn't kept tabs on how many "little guys" there were. More power to 'em.

I'll keeping making my own framebags, and made one seatbag that was pretty functional, but as Travis said this stuff is not simple. Small details are significant and turn good gear into great.

is buachail foighneach me
    https://www.facebook.com/beckerdesign

New company out of Fairbanks, AK. Tupps makes some pretty nice bags. His company was formerly: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003513366918

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ionsmuse View Post
    -Dave C, BPL staff, but not writing here as BPL staff
    Dave, your articles and joining of BPL Staff are the reason I'm actually (finally) sending in money to become a member. I really look forward to reading your thoughts on the different bags. As an owner of 2 of the 3 listed by you, I'm interested to hear your thoughts. Both have seen some pretty extensive use and I have a feeling you'll be pointing out similar details that I've noticed.

One thing is for sure, we've (bikepacking community) have a great thing going with plenty of options to support the local economy. Ultimately though, it's not about the gear one collects but the getting out and using what you have.

Cheers!

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
    I'm starting to make them but still in prototyping process.

Light freak

JPaks out of Denver/Golden area

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by scar View Post
    I just sent in an order today with JPaks. A frame bag for my Salsa Spearfish. I'm psyched to have a custom bag and not have to go thru the difficulty of making it myself.
    baker

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I might be better off starting a new thread but here goes:
    Do those of you who have used a handlebar bag/sling have to lengthen your brake/shifter cables or is there a workaround? Seems my cables are compressed to much by the sling to be effective...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    And a follow up question, do those of you who ride with seatbags have any issues getting behind the seat on technical sections?

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by scout View Post
    And a follow up question, do those of you who ride with seatbags have any issues getting behind the seat on technical sections?
    Ha! Yeah, the seatbag surprised me on the first technical descent. I got used to it fairly quickly, but I definitely can't get behind the seat as far/low with the seatbag there.
    baker

Quote Originally Posted by scout View Post
    I obviously can't drop my butt DOWN to the tire anymore. But I can get my weight BACK reasonably well.

I just bought a dropper seatpost, and I'll be testing it with my seat bag. Not sure if I'll race with it due to the extra weight, but it'll be interesting to see if it'll work.

Quote Originally Posted by baker View Post
    Ha! Yeah, the seatbag surprised me on the first technical descent..
    Ha, I remember the first time too.

I just received my custom frame bag from Phantom Pack (Phantom Pack Systems), and I am blown away. The construction quality is incredible–so much attention to detail, such as zipper-pull covers, reinforced stress points, carbon fiber side panels, etc. A perfect fit, and actually much lighter than I expected. Very simply, this is the one of the best pieces of gear that I’ve ever purchased–and an awesome deal at any price.

I’ve also got some gear from the “big” names in bikepacking gear, and Tim’s stuff is even better.

For those who aren’t into the default color scheme of the gear listed on his website, Tim will let you choose your own colors. I went with all-black, and it looks GREAT!

I'm attracted to Gravity!

Sounds about right.
    I'd tell anyone to go straight to Revelate for stock stuff and to Porcelain for the frame bag.
    And I just about say that on this page under Quality

Custom frame bags are the best niche I can fill, since some can no longer do them (understandably).

This is a part time gig for me alongside a busy engineering student schedule, although I will be full time this summer - bring on the custom orders.

Also, most of the seat bags out there look like direct copies of Revelate/Carousel designs. I've never seen them up close in person long enough to get the construction details, and I've never figured out why they all have a curve at the bottom - seems that would take away from vertical stiffness. My stiffeners butt straight into the seat tube.
    Do they move around a bit? Sure. Can I feel it on rough singletrack? Nope.

Experience Level - I have over 100 paid for items out there, plus early experiments myself, and a bunch of other personal sewing for ultralight backpacking.

This thread needs to be stickied...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast