Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trower View Post
    What bars are you using on your bike in this video? They Look like some really comfy dirt drops! Really great video, so beautiful!
    I'm using the Salsa Woodchipper bars, the wider version, and wouldn't switch for anything.
    My bike blog: www.yetirides.com

IoC
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    I think those are the default Woodchippers on a Salsa Fargo. (I have Fargo, and they're great.)

Two Headed Boy
    I might have to give those a try!
    tSETFREEBYLOVEt

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Great videos. I'm just curious what cameras people are using? If they're not too pricey I'd be interested in making a few videos of my own, though I know nothing about filming videos or the equipment involved.

mtbr member
    I'm currently using a Panasonic GH2 with a few lenses, which is not too expensive for what it is. Earlier I had a Canon 60D, which was also ok, but not as good. I've even seen some good stuff filmed with a GoPro, even though it would be a little limiting.

A decent compact camera would also be a good alternative. I've seen good quality from a Canon S100.

I've never checked out pure video cameras, but I guess a decent HD video camera wouldn't be too expensive either.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jbphilly View Post
    Great videos. I'm just curious what cameras people are using? If they're not too pricey I'd be interested in making a few videos of my own, though I know nothing about filming videos or the equipment involved.
    I would look at the "rugged" series of cameras before you make an impulse buy for a standard camera. While most will offer less "features" of your standard cameras, the benefit of them is (or should be) that they're shock-resistant and water-resistant. Most, if not all, standard cameras are succeptible to shock forces that are inherent in any type of outdoor sport, such as mountain biking. This will result in a lower life expentancy for the camera.

I'm not saying go out and purchase the most expensive GoPro or another camera, but it is something to keep in mind when making an informed purchase on any camera (or electronics in general) for intensive outdoor recreation purposes.

As I am a.. "video" guy myself, I have a Canon T2i with access to a Red One camera + modules... but I'm probably going to invest in a couple of GoPro cameras for video, and a "something-or-another" still camera for pictures. I don't want to put the cameras above at risk.

To start out with, any video editting / publishing software should work for you, such as Microsoft Media Maker; although, if you find that you want to make more professional-like videos, you will want to do research on codecs/compression as well as a professional grade video editor.

You may also want to do some research on cinematography, color, and lighting theory.

If you want, shoot me a PM and I can give you a couple of links that I've found useful.
    Last edited by RandomGuyOnABike; 03-15-2013 at 10:29 AM. Reason: English grammer ftw

mtbr member
    These videos have me planning a trip in the interior of BC for the summer:

Chilcotin BC Bikepacking Videos… | The Lazy Rando Blog...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    bookmarked and subscribed thx all

mtbr member

Bikepacking film thread

For my McCall Hot Springs video posted in this thread i just used a Canon 95, with no accessories or stabilization.

Here's my camera equipment right now:

Sony Nex 5n camera
    Sony E-mount 18-55mm
    Sony E-mount 16mm
    Sony 14mm Ultra-Wide attachment for 16mm
    Sony 10mm Fisheye attachment for 16mm
    Glidecam 1000 hd
    Manfrotto 561bhvd-1 Monopod
    Zoom h1 mic

While I haven't made a bikepacking video yet with the new stuff, I just put together a ski overnight video (check it out here), and I have to say even though they are ridiculously heavy, the monopod and steadycam really improve the stabilization. Which, is the main thing I've been trying to improve on since the McCall video.

I'm also thinking about grabbing a few Sony Action Cams to use for different angles. Especially, riding downhill.
    Casey Greene - Cartographer - Adventure Cycling Association
    http://greenecasey.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flumphboy View Post
    While I haven't made a bikepacking video yet with the new stuff, I just put together a ski overnight video (check it out here), and I have to say even though they are ridiculously heavy, the monopod and steadycam really improve the stabilization. Which, is the main thing I've been trying to improve on since the McCall video.
    Nice video. It makes me want to get a GlideCam.

mtbr member
    That ski overnight video rocked! Nice work.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys.

Outsider, The Monopod was way more versatile for the ski vid, and I only used the glidecam for 3 shots, but 2 of those are (i think) are the best ones in the whole thing. It was just too hard to operate on the snow. So, I had to relegate it to stuff around the lookout. hopefully that'll change this summer.

The glidecam is also really fickle to operate. It goes outta wack extremely easily. Even putting the lens cap on will throw it completely off balance. But, the shots are incredible if you can get them.

mtbr member
    One from last week:

mtbr member
    An overnighter on the Mule I got away with last summer.

mtbr member
    I finally produced my own!

Full write up located here: North Rim Grand Canyon - Kaibab Plateau - Post-Trip Report
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement." -- Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    [QUOTE=Outsider;10308833]One from last week:

Beautiful man... beautiful!! Keep on truckin' brother!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Munda Biddi adventure

Not a movie but some pictures I have taken while riding my singlespeed for over 900km along the Munda Biddi (www.mundabiddi.org.au) in Western Australia in 8 days. Pretty tough ride but a lot of fun.
    Last edited by shogun9; 06-09-2013 at 07:49 PM. Reason: embedded video

mtbr member
    A Midsummer outing from two years ago:

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    At 2:14 in the video, it looks like the camera is rotating with you. Do you have a little gadget between the tripod and camera that roates or was this done post processing?

mtbr member
    Its not my video, but its a good one:
    The Road from Karakol - YouTube

mtbr member
    I love this thread, thank you!

mtbr member

North Country Trail

My youngest son's 1st trip, he's 11.. He takes a nice tumble but gets up and keeps going... Sorry about blur forgot to clean lens..

ballbuster
    It's is great! Y'all are getting me fired up to actualy get out and do a little overnighter.

In building up my old Access29er right now out of parts from the bin. I'm just waiting for a set of bb7s to show up and I can finish her. Throw some racks on, some panniers, I got a bud interested in trying out a bikepacking trip with me. Probably a 15 mile out, 15 back kinda trip. Try out the rigs, make some adjustments, go on a longer run.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Thyer View Post
    An overnighter on the Mule I got away with last summer.

Great Vid! Gonna share this....

Heh... anybody else think at 4:11,"Hey! You forgot your camera!"

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Idea! Designed a tripod, Went for A ride and then we Filmed it for you to see

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast