Professional Crastinator

Bikepacking "Dabbling"

This weekend I picked a safe route to test my mettle.

The idea was to navigate ~50 miles on my 29+, hauling just water, food, medical, and spare clothes - with the normal bike tools and spare tube. Mixed terrain with a 9 mi. road prologue, 27 mi. of off road/doubletrack/gravel, and 14mi. on rural roads to the Southern Tier Brewery in Jamestown, NY. I was fine, but...

- The trail was harder than the first 2 miles I'd surveyed last year. It was humid and it took me over an hour longer than planned to cover the 27 mi. It is a beautiful, well-maintained, well-marked trail - with some serious grunt climbs and plenty of roots, random rocks, and groundhog holes where it traverses a couple cow pastures. Oh, and on the cow pastures - there are ladders to negotiate the electric and barbed wire fences, which are very tricky with a heavy bike. There is an easy road bypass for each, but that's not what I was out for.
    - I ran short on water due to the overage on time. Thankfully, there are water stops and camps within limping distance of each end of the trail. No problem, but I need to carry more water. I was very happy to not use a CamelBak, though. I had a 2-bottle fanny pack (48oz), and more water on the bike.
    - One of my electronic maps failed. The trail itself offered but one single navigational challenge (out of ~20 crossings and turns). My downloaded map (pdf) kept me on course. I exited the trail to find my last 14 mi. was now electronic vapor. Probably my incompetence, but nonetheless, I very much needed navigational support. Paper map next time.
    - The trail would have been even harder, and maybe not even fun in some places had I been carrying camping gear and more food. I was popping off mounds and roots clusters everywhere - it was soooo fun. The fence ladders would have been much more difficult - even risky.
    - The idea of stopping eventually felt very weird. I think this is something that experienced bikepackers know; but you are carrying only so much water and food, which limits your range. If you come up short, you will become very uncomfortable. Again, my route was very safe in regards to retrieval or bailout had anything happened, but stopping immediately brought thoughts of the sun setting, water running out, bugs eating me alive...
    - My choice of food was positively awful: a stack of 300 calorie peanut butter protein bars. Worst food ever invented. I've tried them several times already, and they were tolerable, but it always becomes harder and harder for me to eat when I am working hard and going longer. Trying to eat these things while still covering ground was pretty sucky. I'm going back to liquid calories, or just full-on sandwiches/bagels/wraps.
    - My speed was gauged on whether the flies were biting my triceps. They got me a few times pretty good.

Overall, it was an incremental (I stress the mental part) victory. At no time did I feel bad and I never cramped (which, unfortunately, lends some credibility to those awful protein bars). At 50 miles and 4500' it's a layup shot for most experienced bikepackers, but I needed to find my style and my weaknesses so I can plan better next time. Mission accomplished.

-F

PS - If I had to do it again today, I think I could have, but my butt was unusually sore so it woulda been more like work. Still doable, though. I would have needed a LOT more calories today, though. Or maybe a lot more yesterday.(?)

PPS - I think I would be better writing down all my route cues by hand and keeping them on paper. It seems more reliable, and chances are I would remember it all.

PPPS - The guy who posted pictures on MTBproject did the same thing I did: he never stopped to take a picture at the fun parts because he was having too much fun - so all the pictures look like flat doubletrack. There were some blistering downhills with root balls, jumps, berms, and short drops. Someone who really knows it could rip some of those sections rightly.
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

Co Springs
    Nice write up and accomplishment, thanks for sharing.

I did my first bikepack w/ camper stuff a few weeks ago with some friends. About 30# worth.
    We topped off water everywhere we seen it and I planned and did end up carrying 3 liters plus a 20 oz bottle thinking 3 L could cover a day of riding.
    We were a bit sketchy on maps and write ups of the trails versus our climbing abilty and needs on a variety of connections around Pikes Peak. Was blistering hot and steep hike-a-bike but we got our taste of adventure.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

Professional Crastinator
    Hey, I started this thread as a place for beginners to maybe post some lessons learned. I haven't even done an overnighter on the bike yet, but I am learning fast.

My latest triumph? By ditching some of the nice little bags that everything seems to pack into individually, I grouped them into sleep, food, clothes, tools, and other. Now all my sleep stuff fits in one bag (tent, sleeping bag, etc.), all my cooking and food fits in one bag, clothes are a little more scattered... but I don't have to unpack one to get to the other. Lots more room, and I can ride no hands fully loaded.

Baby steps...

-F

edit: I read back on ramblings and it sorta missed the main objective: By removing certain items from their individual pack bags, they can be re-configured into a different shape (shorter and fatter, or longer and skinnier). In addition to the reduced overall volume, it also increased the packing density, and somehow even balanced the load better.
    Last edited by Fleas; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:02 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    Hey, I started this thread as a place for beginners to maybe post some lessons learned. I haven't even done an overnighter on the bike yet, but I am learning fast.

My latest triumph? By ditching some of the nice little bags that everything seems to pack into individually, I grouped them into sleep, food, clothes, tools, and other. Now all my sleep stuff fits in one bag (tent, sleeping bag, etc.), all my cooking and food fits in one bag, clothes are a little more scattered... but I don't have to unpack one to get to the other. Lots more room, and I can ride no hands fully loaded.

Baby steps...

-F
    I would assume with Bikepacking the 'journey' is more rewarding than simply getting it right the first time, and every time after. Keeps you interested.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Nice dabble, fleas. TFPU.

So many tricks everybody's got em...

- Bivy low, climb high; the old mountaineer adage. Position for AM sun.

- Disregard what racers do.

- Take a rest day or super light day every week or two if you're on a long one.

- Plan for stuff to go wrong. Whether you can fix it, or someone else has to, you'll get back on the route less worse for wear if you aren't fixated on everything being perfect.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I find that my setup is constantly evolving -finding more effective and ingenious ways to pack, cut weight, leave stuff behind and integrate new ideas and gear. I do like and need to eat plentiful amounts of food and also need quality food or I feel like shit, so quality nutrition gets a priority for me. Any weight penalty there is made up for with performance.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by 101 View Post
    I find that my setup is constantly evolving -finding more effective and ingenious ways to pack, cut weight, leave stuff behind and integrate new ideas and gear. I do like and need to eat plentiful amounts of food and also need quality food or I feel like shit, so quality nutrition gets a priority for me. Any weight penalty there is made up for with performance.
    Yeah I hear all about people fueling on gummy bears and gas station burritos. Not sure how long I'd last like that.

-F

Professional Crastinator
    Just a short excursion today/tonight, with 2 days of "stuff" to get a feel for the weight, but no extra clothes, and I discovered something: contrary to my OP, the idea of stopping - now that I was "stocked" - was a non-issue! With what I had on board, I could have stopped literally anywhere, and not gone home for 2 nights. I also figured out how to secure all my stuff, including what seems to be a heavy handle bar roll, on rooty singletrack. ...and handling was heavy, but still fun. Really enjoyable.

-F

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I hear you on good food. Are you cooking? Stuff like dried salami, almonds, dried fruit work well for me. Salmon( or other fish) in foil packets as well. I have a trangia alcohol stove and do breakfast of rolled oats, raisins and ( be kind) starbucks via instant coffee. Those little shelf stable 1/2 oz creamers are great. 3 in the coffee, 2 in the oatmeal.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    I hear you on good food. Are you cooking? Stuff like dried salami, almonds, dried fruit work well for me. Salmon( or other fish) in foil packets as well. I have a trangia alcohol stove and do breakfast of rolled oats, raisins and ( be kind) starbucks via instant coffee. Those little shelf stable 1/2 oz creamers are great. 3 in the coffee, 2 in the oatmeal.
    I think I can go really far on just bagels, peanut butter, and honey - not sure how long before I get sick of it. But beef sticks, corn/bean salsa, flour tortillas, Fig Newtons, dried meals - and my downtube bag holds several beercan-sized containers as well.
    Coincidence? Not.
    Still not sure what to do about cheese in hot weather. I do love me some cheese.

Not very light yet, but I like a full tent and decent food, so it will be a long time before I decide what I'd rather not lug up the hills.

-F

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I dont scrimp on food. My tent is like 3 lbs or so. Just got a 1 lb sea to summit air pad , nice stuff. Thought about say a tarp with a bug net for light weight stuff? Got bugs to deal with? For my 5 day trip in NH, I carry 2 sets of cloths for on bike, 1 for off, plus a full warm layer and a raincoat. Been cold and wet, not a good combo. One night was 48 F, lots of days in the 80-90 F range. Love my wool base layers. Most of my trips in New England, lots of resupply spots, food, water, sit down places to eat etc. So take say 1 corn, bean, cheese wrap and freeze. Eat that the first day. Hard cheese like parm should last too. I tend to seek out dirt roads, bike paths and such as opposed to really tech single track on my trips, longer flatter miles that way.

mtbr member
    I ditched my tent a couple years ago and went to strictly hammock camping. My hammock packs up into a ball the size of a grapefruit and weighs nothing, and my rain fly packs up small and is also way under a pound. The biggest bonus is that I also find it more comfortable than a tent.

I am not sure I could ever see myself going back to carrying a tent around with me. Once it's gone you really realize how much space they take up.

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    Yeah I hear all about people fueling on gummy bears and gas station burritos. Not sure how long I'd last like that.

-F
    Haha !! No kidding.

We had some good food and top notch coffee on or first outing. The guys even hid some beers a few weeks earlier on a hike part we intersected with. Found beers went in the creek to get a nice chill.

I too re-did my packs and made them longer / skinnier so as less bulk. Most everything could be reconsidered and moved or reshaped.
    The time spent to 'play with the stuff' and experiment is well worth a better, sturdier pack and less fidgeting or fixing on the trail.

Any bike and gear weights ?

Mine is 31# as steel h/t and plus tires,

Gear weight with a 3 liter frame bag of water and a fork cage bottle ( 1 gal total), tent, sleeping bag, tools, food, sleeping mattress, clothes, rain gear, etc.... 32 / 34#
    Total bike was 65 # or so.

Converting to tubeless this weekend.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'