mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Bikepacking: Coastal N. California/Oregon/Washington suggested routes?

I'm an experienced bike tourist, and most of my road bike tours have included some off-road fun. But now I have a dedicated bikepacking rig just itching to go on trips. Anyone have any suggested week-long (or so) trips in coastal California, say Monterey or north, or in Oregon or Washington? Bonus points for routes accessible from Amtrak.

Non-technical is best. I'm perfectly happy on gravel roads and fire roads. I love them. My idea of the perfect bikepacking trip is lots of time off in the woods and nothing technical.

I wish I could figure out an easy way to do the Lost Coast without having to drive up there.

mtbr member
    May 2013

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    That sounds fun! I'd do it at a sedate touring pace, though.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    What do you mean by coastal; you looking for lots of ocean views?

If you are looking to use Amtrak, might consider starting out from Seattle, going around the Olympic Peninsula, then going south along the coast. This time of the year, going south, the wind will be at your back.

Would also suggest getting a Road Atlas to plot your course. Between Hwy 101 and the actual coast there are some less traveled, narrow, rough paved country roads to take for some nice views.

With careful planning, and an eye on the tides, there are some sections where you 'could' travel on the exposed wet sand for some distance, if that appeals to you.
    "Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway" John Wayne

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I didn't mean ocean views, necessarily, and of course the cold foggy Pacific isn't always in view when we are close to it.

Rather, I prefer tours mostly in the wetter coastal range areas rather than in the desert beyond the coast ranges: the climate of Santa Cruz and San Jose rather than Sacramento; Eugene, Portland and Hood River rather than Bend and Spokane.

I was much taken by the Gifford Pinchot National Forest in southern Washington when I toured through there on road bike while doing the Sierra Cascades route. That may be a place I'll try.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    If you're considering Amtrak to Seattle you might be able to go just a little further north to Mount Vernon then you can hit the San Juan Islands for a day or two, then down Whidbey Island and cross to Port Townsend to continue around the Olympic Peninsula.

menace to myself & others
    Aug 2005
    If you're looking for coastal views, I'd skip the Oregon Outback thing. Ranges from high desert to rolling farmland. Definitely not on the wetter side of life.

mtbr member
    Olympic Peninsula is good, I like the western half. Well conected to Amtrak by county bus and ferry.

Jedediah Smith Redwood State Park, Del Norte Coast Redwoods State Park, Redwood National and State Parks, Del Norte County is good

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I live in Port Townsend and I think the San Juan's, Whidbey Island, Olympic Peninsula is an OK road trip but not for bikepacking. I am trying to find ways of connecting some of the forest service roads together but they aren't made for people, they are made for giving away our forests. You can't bike in the Olympic National Park which is a lot of the peninsula. I used to live on south Whidbey Island and there is no route down the island except the highway. Most of the side roads don't connect and the land is mostly private.
    There are lots of great places to ride in all these places but not to travel through the area.

Ariolimax columbianus
    Big Basin, some road riding involved. Henry Coe is always good but hot right now.

Another nice loop I've done from home (near Watsonville/Prunedale), down to Big Sur, up Nacimiento-Fergusson Rd, thru Hunter Ligget, Indians Rd, to Arroyo Seco, we took River Rd to Old Stage, Juan Bautista de Anza trail, making our way back to my house (but you could do Carmel Vly Rd then maybe cut through Fort Ord). A mix of road and dirt but Indians to Arroyo Seco is some of the nicest dirt/country around.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    So now about Big Basin. There's an almost loop: Gazos Creek & Butano Trail or Fire Road or whatever it's called, the trail that goes from just north of Butano Park out to China Grade Road. But. The part closest to China Grade is private property no bikes. How no-bike is that section?