mtbr member
    May 2013

Which Bike For Telluride to Moab

Hi All,

New MTB'er here but by no means new biker. I have completed century rides and IM triathlons. I am planning on doing a 7-day hut to hut ride this Summer from Telluride to Moab. I have a good understanding of all the required outdoor/foul weather gear. My issue is the bike. What entry level (<$2000) bike would you all recommend?

Any info or ideas would be welcome.

Thanks

RJ
    Last edited by gbclowes; 05-13-2013 at 05:11 PM. Reason: mistake

mtbr member
    I wouldn't embark on a 7day MTB tour on a sub- $200 bike. The likely breakdowns you'll experience will at best throw a damper on your trip and at worst force you to abandon.

I think your best bet is to see if you can rent/borrow a bike for the trip rather than buy.

If you have to buy something I'd hunt Craig's List for the best quality rigid MTB you can find within your budget. An older quality MTB is better than a newer department store level bike.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Vik,

So sorry, I meant $2000. I just corrected the posting. I couldn't imagine going to the corner on a $200 bike let alone on a 7 day trek.

RJ

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbclowes View Post
    Vik,

So sorry, I meant $2000. I just corrected the posting. I couldn't imagine going to the corner on a $200 bike let alone on a 7 day trek.

RJ
    Ahhhh - that makes a lot more sense!

You've got lots of options in the $2000 range.

Here is my bikepacking rig - Surly Krampus which can be had for $2K in the US.

If rigid isn't your thing I'd look at 29er hardtails from brands you like.

I'd rather have a $2K rigid/hardtail at a solid quality level than try and get a FS bike for the same budget which will entail some compromises.

If you gotta have a FS bike I would look for a lightly used one on Craig's List.

You'll get a better rigid bike/hardtail bike used for $2K as well, but it is nice to get a brand spanking new ride.

You could also hunt around and see what 20111/2012 stock you can find on sale. Everybody wants to get rid of these bikes and get their money out so they can buy 2012/13 product.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Ahhhh - that makes a lot more sense!

You've got lots of options in the $2000 range.

Here is my bikepacking rig - Surly Krampus which can be had for $2K in the US.

If rigid isn't your thing I'd look at 29er hardtails from brands you like.

I'd rather have a $2K rigid/hardtail at a solid quality level than try and get a FS bike for the same budget which will entail some compromises.

If you gotta have a FS bike I would look for a lightly used one on Craig's List.

You'll get a better rigid bike/hardtail bike used for $2K as well, but it is nice to get a brand spanking new ride.

You could also hunt around and see what 20111/2012 stock you can find on sale. Everybody wants to get rid of these bikes and get their money out so they can buy 2012/13 product.
    Depending upon what type of riding you are planning on doing after the trip, I would look at a short travel full suspension bike for that sort of trip. It will be a great trail bike for shorter rides, close to home, as well as being fine for a longer trip. If you have also not done loads of riding on trails, you might also appreciate the suspension both ends. I rode a hard tail for years and only recently got a full suspension bike, the difference is huge in terms of comfort.

You should check out the current edition of Mountain Bike Action, they have a Giant Anthem X 29er, which falls on your budget of $2k. I know in the US you often have to pay sales tax, but if it is last years model you may get a discount.

It won't be such a good dedicated bacbacking bike, but you can get light weight gear to take your stuff no problem. There are forums on this thread that make reference to the stuff that is a available.

mtbr member
    May 2013

One More Question

Thanks for all the input. I have a lot to think about. I have another question. Do I have to use panniers or can I just wear my backpack?

Quote Originally Posted by gribble View Post
    Depending upon what type of riding you are planning on doing after the trip, I would look at a short travel full suspension bike for that sort of trip. It will be a great trail bike for shorter rides, close to home, as well as being fine for a longer trip. If you have also not done loads of riding on trails, you might also appreciate the suspension both ends. I rode a hard tail for years and only recently got a full suspension bike, the difference is huge in terms of comfort.

You should check out the current edition of Mountain Bike Action, they have a Giant Anthem X 29er, which falls on your budget of $2k. I know in the US you often have to pay sales tax, but if it is last years model you may get a discount.

It won't be such a good dedicated bacbacking bike, but you can get light weight gear to take your stuff no problem. There are forums on this thread that make reference to the stuff that is a available.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbclowes View Post
    Do I have to use panniers or can I just wear my backpack?
    You can wear a backpack and you might want to even if you have some bags on your bike. Will it be comfortable is the question and the depends on how much you carry and your personal physiology.

Do you have a gear list worked out yet? If so load up a pack and go for a multi-hour ride - even a road ride. See what you think.

You can fit bikepacking style seat and bar bags on pretty much any bike FS or not.

OTOH if you own a rear rack and panniers they'll work on a lot of rigid bikes and hardtails.

Whatever you do - make sure you go on a long test ride with the bike you plan on using and the gear setup. A failure at home is a minor hassle. A failure on the trip will be a huge PITA.

I like to have most of the weight on my bike, but I do carry a small backpack on most tours. Some people can't stand to have anything on their backs and I've seen folks tour with expedition sized backpacks on.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    The Surly Ogre or Salsa may fit the bill. Both are sub $2,000 and can be configured many different ways to fit your needs. In terms of carrying gear you will be most comfortable if you place most of the weight on the bike rather than your bike. Telluride to Moab sounds like a fantastic trip!