mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Bike packing a fatty

Would like a thread to collect some fatty bike packing info. Especially beach riding. I am interested in how the fatty compares to a regular bike in terms of speed and which types of sand the different wheel option will handle. Also would love to see a video or hear first hand experience comparing the ride of fatties and regular size tires.

Peter

mtbr member
    Your thread subject could be interpreted in a couple of funny ways, btw. Sorry, I have nothing useful to add. Good luck.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement." -- Mark Twain

slow:biker
    Dec 2009
    Thanks for the laugh, Grizzattack!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Pun intended! My wife is a beast :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzattack View Post
    Your thread subject could be interpreted in a couple of funny ways, btw. Sorry, I have nothing useful to add. Good luck.

mtbr member

I've got road touring bikes, a Big Dummy I tour with, a Pugsley I've toured with and a 29er hardtail I've toured with.

There is no easy answer to comparing all the permutations and combinations of terrain and gear and tires/rims that would determine how they are performed relative to one another.

Bottom line you can tour on a fat bike. I've done up to a 70km paved day on a fatty with dirt at both ends. It wouldn't be my first choice for that, but it worked fine.

I've done a 140km+ day up and over a mountain pass on dirt with camping gear. I'm not a super fit rider so the Pugsley didn't hold me back.

No normal bike is going to work in beach sand of any significance. That and deeper snow is fat bike terrain 100%. If you want to specialize in the really soft stuff get a Moonlander with 5" tires & 100mm rims. If you want a more versatile fat bike get something like a Pugsley with 4" tires and 65mm/82mm rims. The Pugs can run up to 5" tires on 82mm rims.

I just came back from 7 weeks in Baja riding 4" tires and 65mm rims on the beach. It works fine, but if I was going to carry a bunch of gear I'd bump the tires up to 5" and rims to 82mm to get the most floatation my frame can handle.

For dirt tours a fat bike would work fine. The softer conditions and the rougher the terrain the more it would make sense. If things were pretty smooth a 29er MTB would probably be faster.

I'm taking my GF on her first bikepacking trip this spring [her first bike camping trip of any type] we'll be riding Pugsleys because that's the only MTB she has besides a 6"+ FS rig. She'll do fine and probably appreciate some of passive suspension she gets from the tires.

If you are interested in using a fat bike for bikepacking it will work no problems.

Surly Pugsley - a set on Flickr
    Last edited by vikb; 02-07-2013 at 04:01 PM.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Alaska Turner Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by pvbower View Post
    Would like a thread to collect some fatty bike packing info. Especially beach riding...... Also would love to see a video or hear first hand experience comparing the ride of fatties and regular size tires.
    Peter, my beach riding experience proved that the fatbike was the perfect choice if you wanted to cycle sand. Four of us did a recreational beach ride a couple of summers ago here in Alaska, not full on bike packing for any length of time as it only lasted two days. But here's a video of our trip.

Clam Gulch to Homer, Alaska on fatbikes on the beach - YouTube

Enjoy, and get out there.
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

Vincit qui patitur
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 GT Karakoram 3.0
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2013 Giant Defy
    2012 Access TCL