Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

bike packing for elk, anyone else doing it?

Any other bike hunters out there, I have been having a ball packing elk camps in, and coming out with some great meat.

Lets see some of your setups.

mtbr member
    I've seen someone on here that uses a BOB trailer to pack the meat out. Don't remember who it was though.
    2015 Ghost Kato 5
    2016 GT Traffic 3.0 (commuter)
    1988ish GT Mach One

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Uncommon ground video-mountain bikes and elk hunting

I helped a guy at work fix up his old bike for hunting duties. We rigged by a Bob trailer, rear rack, and a front rack with a Cogburn "gun rack". I thought it turned out pretty good but he returned with a list of short comings he wants to address, only problem is he doesn't wanna spend any money.

Rocks belong
    Just don't hunt in a Wilderness...

(Going in on horseback vs. bike is, IMO, the same damn thing. The bike wilderness ban is stupid.)
    '15 Ibis HD3
    '15 Surly Instigator 650b & 26+
    '13 SC Juliana 650b'd (wife's)

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I deer hunt off a bike. Not very exciting I hunt my own land so to get anything out I use a 4 wheeler, horse, or truck.

mtbr member
    We've got quite a few customers out there now and/or preppin' to fill their tags this season.

One of the nicest setups out there has to be the 'Outfitter' by Felt Bikes.

bike packing for elk, anyone else doing it?-felt_outfitter_side.jpg

Whatever your rig maybe, the point is to get out there and not to come back with an empty trailer.

Robert Axle Project: thru-axles for trailers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bike packing for elk, anyone else doing it?-felt-trailer.jpg  

seedub
    you may have come before us on no bicycle, but that does not say you know everything.

mtbr member
    Awesome. That blows up a couple stereotypes, huh.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    last years pack out
    I got a bunch of photos like these
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bike packing for elk, anyone else doing it?-img_0246res.jpg  

Ologist
    Kenai mountain hunts for caribou and bear are often hunted with a BOB trailer. Fat bikes has made this a more common and efficient endeavor.
    2014 Fatback Corvus
    2010 Ellsworth Epiphany

mtbr member
    Been using a simple saddle scabbard camstrapped to the frame for a couple years, no issues. Just ordered a bob trailer to haul meat for the upcoming season (and to entice my wife to go bikepacking). Hope I didn't jinx the hunt!

Name:  20141015_142956.jpg
Views: 1086
Size:  134.3 KB

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    ntmboy
    sweet, like the nrs straps

Robert axle
    nice set up, ebike? we can't use ebikes on gated roads or anywhere a motorcycle in not allowed.

mtbr member
    Tim,

Yep it's an (gasp) e-bike. Certainly not allowed everywhere, nor appropriate for everywhere. Gotta appreciate the custom touches regardless.

Ntmboy,
    Keeping it (mostly) silent with the SS setup, respect.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Robert
    I wonder if you can get that set up with out the e side of things. I like the look of the set up. especially the trailer behind the fat bike.

mtbr member
    I have hauled out 2 deer (quartered) using my walmart instep trailer. The most weight i got to was around 130lbs with my gear.

bike packing for elk, anyone else doing it?-31.jpg

seedub
    That's awesome!
    you may have come before us on no bicycle, but that does not say you know everything.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    bike packing for elk, anyone else doing it?-img_0143.jpg
    this years pack out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I would really like to turn my pugsley into a hunting machine. I just don't know how to attatch a bob trailer to the bike. The trailer is key for packing meat out.

as far as weapons, eberlestoc makes a backpack that looks and feels just like a hydration pack with a scabbard attatched. So the weapon is on your back vertical. works exetremly well.

But if anyone can help me get a trailer for my pugsley, I would be very grateful, deer season is coming and I like the fat tires for the muddy gated roads.

mtbr member
    When I lived in Idaho in the summer I always wanted to go elk hunting and never got around to it. Now I'm not in a good situation to hunt at all.

But I'm really enjoying seeing the hunting rigs you guys are using. Thanks for posting your stuff.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tim208 View Post
    I would really like to turn my pugsley into a hunting machine. I just don't know how to attatch a bob trailer to the bike. The trailer is key for packing meat out.

as far as weapons, eberlestoc makes a backpack that looks and feels just like a hydration pack with a scabbard attatched. So the weapon is on your back vertical. works exetremly well.

But if anyone can help me get a trailer for my pugsley, I would be very grateful, deer season is coming and I like the fat tires for the muddy gated roads.
    Can't vouch for this (and wouldn't allow for bike swapping)

Wileydog Cycle: Surly Pugsley NR + BOB Trailer

After I got the Neck Romancer I hooked it up to my BOB trailer and was disappointed to find the knobs on the left side of the Nate 4.0 tires rubbed against the trailer yoke/fork.

Last weekend I gave it another try. I've read where some people hooked their Pugs right up to the BOB, while others did some bending of the trailer yoke and/or modifications to the BOB axle. I got out the crowbar, wonder bar, pliers, and workmate. I didn't need any tools, though, because all it took was some pulling with my brute strength on the trailer fork while it was attached to the bike. It worked best to pull on the stem (the part where it swivels). I also flipped over the BOB QR Sleeve at the end of the axle on the left side, which gained me maybe a micro-millimeter of clearance by the tire.

I didn't gain much clearance but it was enough. I figure I can work on it a bit more. Ignore the duct tape, that's where I planned on using the crowbar.

Yessiree I test rode this around the neighborhood with a kitty litter bucket filled with water. Always willing to entertain the neighbors.

If you want to spend $:
    https://www.biketrailershop.com/bob-...ck-p-1239.html

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Another perspective:
    Name:  deer.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  52.4 KB

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Geeze6700 View Post
    I have hauled out 2 deer (quartered) using my walmart instep trailer. The most weight i got to was around 130lbs with my gear.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31.jpg 
Views:	860 
Size:	258.5 KB 
ID:	1021644
    My neighbor has a trailer he is willing to let me try this year. The enclosure is no good. He said if it works for me I can have it.

Any suggestions on things to change or avoid on setup? Planning to tow it with my DB Atroz Comp. Hoping to have a fatty next year. If not, I'll be at least replacing the Rock Shox Monarch R with a Rock Shox Monarch RT3 so I can lockout the rear suspension.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tim208 View Post
    I would really like to turn my pugsley into a hunting machine. I just don't know how to attatch a bob trailer to the bike.
    Have a look here; a couple of my friends, including Coastkid, who wrote a blog article about it has done this successfully.

coastrider: Fatbike Trailer...

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    great photos!!

elk. i'd imagine there are multiple trips to bring out all the meat anyways right? everytime we had an elk tip over, there were no trails. but dang that looks so fun.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    boom

multiple trips is always on the menu with elk. big bulls can be 5 trips. It also depends on how much uphill I have. But I quarter the animals, and sometimes bone them out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast