Thread: Bike Generator

Harshing my mellow, man..
    Jun 2008

Bike Generator

I just watched this video and I was figuring out how I could use something like it in my life. I wouldn't need it to charge my phone or ipod or whatever, but I thought it could be really useful if bikepacking, to charge my lights during the day so I could go on longer rides without having to worry about my lights going out.
    Give it a watch and let me know what y'all think about it:
    https://vimeo.com/64067653
    Also, I have no connection to the owners in the video or the brand or anything. I just thought it was a pretty cool idea and wanted to share.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    More night riding for multi-day bike packing trips. Could see this being a useful tool during the warmer months to avoid day time heat.

Irritating.
    Mar 2004

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Also the Busch & Muller Luxos U if you want a headlight as well. I just received this but have not had a chance to thoroughly test it out. I still need a rotor for my newly built wheel SP dynamo wheel.

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods

Bike Generator

Supernova makes an amazing setup with their hubs (you can use others, if you like) and their E3 Triple is one of the best lights I ever used. Additionally, they are light AND it's made of metal, not plastic. It's sooooo cool not to have to worry about a place for your battery or how long you'll have power.

I'm using mine in a couple of weeks on the 1200 km Grenzstein Trophy along the old German/German border. One of my few regrets from the TDR last year was not taking it.....especially when my battery lights didn't work every time I needed them (Dinotte).

mtbr member
    May 2005
    don't waste your money on plastic add-ons.
    I have been using a Supernova Dynamo hub with the Supernova E3 light for a few seasons now for night rides on my MTB and it's such a great set-up that I recently built the same dynamo set up to use on my Fargo. I also added the Plug from Tout Terrain to charge phone, GPS and camera.
    its truly the best possible option for an easy power supply. German bult quality does not hurt either.

mtbr member
    ive got an exposure revo and its awesome, dynamo lights are charging is awesome
    Josh