mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Bike Case for International Travel

Hey Guys,
    Planning a 2-4 week bike trip in Morocco, from the USA. Here's the problem i've got an XXL (23 inch) Specialized full suspension 29er, I can't seem to find a bike case that will fit it. Any thoughts on getting a big ass bike out to Marrakesh?

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    The Thule roundtrip cases look nice but the only fit guidelines that list is wheelbase (~46").

mtbr member
    I have a Scicon AeroComfort Plus Bike Bag which has been replaced by the Aerocomfort 2.0 by the looks. That said I doubt it would take your mountain bike but Scion do do mountain bike bags.

What about just using a bike box? Cheaper and lighter. I have happily flown my Surly Long Haul Trucker + Extrawheel Voyager trailer with bike boxes, in fact got bike and trailer into one box for one leg.

Andrew

mtbr member
    Check out Pika Packworks. Phenomenal bag, great guy, he can modify the bag for you from what I've heard. Think I've even seen a case that holds 2 road bikes he did for a pro.

dirtbag
    I use a EVOC bike bag for travelling air/rail throughout and to Europe. It held my small 29er with 2.4 tires (though I had to deflate the tires some to get them in the side wheel pockets. It protected my bike over three years and I still use it to this day. It has a couple small interior and exterior pockets for small tools to partially disassemble/assemble the bike. Roller wheels on one end of the bag certainly makes lugging them across train platforms and airport concourses hella easy.
    Amolan

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeardsl View Post
    Check out Pika Packworks. Phenomenal bag, great guy, he can modify the bag for you from what I've heard. Think I've even seen a case that holds 2 road bikes he did for a pro.
    +1 on the Pika. worked great round trip to Peru and back.

jct
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DougA View Post
    +1 on the Pika. worked great round trip to Peru and back.
    another +1. just got mine last week from competitive cyclist for $340 delivered. they also offer a standard stretch model that may fit your frame....otherwise you can go custom.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Build your own out of Coroplast and you can match the dimensions exactly to your needs. Cheap (<$50 total) and not too difficult.

Better yet, remove the rear swingarm before packing, and you might be able to pack your bike and gear into two boxes (one frame + gear, one wheels + gear) that just meet the airline "normal" regulations, which should save you at least $400 round trip. I've successfully done this with XL bikes from Intense and Turner.