mtbr member

New question here. BIG DUMMY??? Need Help?????

For about a year I have been wanting to get me a Big Dummy and Bill Trailer. A rider out of Spain I met let me ride his and it was great. He said he flew to the US to buy his and then just brought it back with him.

I have tried all dealers in Germany and France and none of them carry these or will order them, most of them do not know why their company name is even on the Surly website. Few of them tried to push me towards European made stuff claiming it was the equal to it (BS).

I live on my rig and have for many years, the only left on my rig that is Gary Fisher is the frame but that is 20 years old now next month. It is just time to move on.

I have tried the number listed on the Surly website and always get an answering machine.

So I know this may sound like a really really stupid question but if someone living in traveling around Europe wants to buy a Big Dummy and Bill Trailer without flying to the US what do they do?

I just want a 22" and a Bill Trailer. Do the Surly folks read this site, hell maybe a dealer here from the US who does not have an allergy to money could assist in the transaction, just shoot me the price so I can finally have a new home/rig.

mtbr member
    pm sent!
    "... Say you coming and took you for a spin like a stolen, rusty cruiser, boy. Yeah, I'm talkin 'bout a HARSH ride. "

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan67 View Post
    So I know this may sound like a really really stupid question but if someone living in traveling around Europe wants to buy a Big Dummy and Bill Trailer without flying to the US what do they do?
    Surly have European dealers you can buy from:

Dealers | Surly Bikes

It would be worth checking a few more European dealers to find one that's willing to work with you.

The cargo bike and trailer you want are going to be big boxes to ship from the US so even if you found someone who would buy it for you shipping it and paying taxes/duties on that end may not end up cheaper than buying from a dealer on the continent.

Not to mention if you end up with a damaged box at the far end or something is wrong with the bike or trailer your hassle factor with a local dealer will be a lot less than trying to sort things out via someone in the US that bought the bike for you. Since you would actually be the 2nd owner of the bike and trailer therefore not entitled to any warranty.

If the phone isn't working try emailing Surly with a title that stands out. I've had good luck getting a hold of them that way.

derby@surlybikes.com

BTW - Europeans make great bikes so I wouldn't assume cargo bikes you can buy locally are not the equal of a Surly product. I own a Big Dummy and like Surly bikes, but they are not the only game in town.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan67 View Post

I have tried the number listed on the Surly website and always get an answering machine.
    Hola Ivan
    sorry to hear of your difficulties.
    A consideration you may not have thought of.
    Do you know the time difference between where you are in Espaņa?
    I fall into this trap many times ringing Europe, United Kingdom or the USA from Australia.
    Even ringing the country next door (New Zealand) where my sister lives, I often get it wrong and call outside polite hours.
    I have rung Surly recently on their web page phone number as I needed frame tube dimensions to order a stand from Click-Stand The Only Portable Folding Bicycle Kickstand!
    Right now in Perth, Western Australia its 10.45pm.
    Its 9.45am in Bloomington Minneapolis USA where Surly is.
    Its 4.45pm in Madrid, Espana

Does this help?
    I imagine your getting the answerphone because its after hours at Surly

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Eric Soven (works at Surly) sov@surlybikes.com

He'll answer, I email him all the time and he answers questions.