mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Bethel ME to Stratton Loop

I'm two weeks out from this trip. Roughly 200 miles over 5 days.

Bethel ME - Errol Nh
    Errol NH - Wilson Mills ME
    Wilson Mills ME - Rangeley region
    Rangeley - Stratton
    Stratton - Bethel

So going by the Delorme map there are plenty of "unmaintained" roads, though I know many of these roads are owned and maintained by logging companies and access is very limited. I have found a couple roads labeled "other passable" that seem to be open to the public. I would love to keep myself off paved surfaces but I know it's going to be tough. I'm from the mid Atlantic and don't have much experience riding in this area. Has anyone out there ridden this region? Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Hi DESurfer,

Try posting your question on the Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine page of MTBR too. You may be more likely to get local information there.
    Spinymouse

11 KM SS
    13 CC Rando-Check
    13 Pugsley

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Will do.

Two Headed Boy
    I have done some bikepacking out in the Wilton, Vienna and rangely area. Its pretty remote obviously but a lot of the roads are still passable, though some are quite overgrown. Didn't really run into any problems using the roads, some are pretty well kept up, and some are quite well used for blueberry picking, others for logging obviously. I would say plan for dead ends occasionally....

What are you using for a bike setup? Just curious;-)
    tSETFREEBYLOVEt

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Picked up a new Salsa Fargo 3. Stock-ish w/ a salsa rear rack, bedrock bag handlebar bag, anything cages mounted on front fork and depending on the route I choose either my schwalbe marathon plus 700/28 or or the schwalbe mtb tires that came with it. This is my first bikepacking/touring trip so I'll swap or modify the setup as time and bank account funds allow. Really enjoying this bike though! For paved and trail use. Definitely a jack of all trades.

Two Headed Boy
    Very nice! Those Fargo's are great bikes;-) I've gone out that way with a couple different bikes and the one I had the most luck with on the varied terain was a monster cross 29er with some tires similar to the rapid robs that came on your Fargo. Think those would be a wise choice to use for sure.

Best of luck with your trip! Hope to be reading more about it in a few weeks;-)

-Nick
    tSETFREEBYLOVEt

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Hey am Clint in Connecticut, have done a couple overnighters, am looking for others, as well as singletrack route in New England for multi-day trips, hit me up at 860 992-2441