Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ahhh the pain....

Best kind of water bottle cage for strapping to fork leg?

What's your favorite type of cage for strapping to fork legs? (with zip ties or hose clamps)
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

banned
    Sep 2012
    As for anything cages I've heard of a few breaking, definitely for light and bulky items. For water lots of people go with a bottle cage strapped on each fork leg and a camelback or platypus inside the framebag if more capacity is needed.

it's all here :Sedona restaurants l Cathedral Rock

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Two fish makes cages with rubber pads and straps .

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    The supports on these Specialized cages are tongues, that allow hose clamps. These hose clamps for the Fox fork were 304 grade stainless, at 21-44mm.

35mm maximum, would have been a better size hose clamp, giving less tail to catch in the grass.

Leeboh mentioned rubber pads, I cut the pads from an old inner tube.

Warren.
    Last edited by Wild Wassa; 09-21-2012 at 12:44 AM.

Sup
    cool set up Wild
    just what I need for my fat bike

Sj
    I am slow therefore I am

mtbr member
    Salsa Anything Cage

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Never thought cages like that would be able to hold bottles with the vertical movement of a suspect fork.

sent from one of my 4 gold leafed iphone4s's

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Salsa stainless cages actually have slots for hose clamps/zip ties. I have one zip tied to my down tube, but for a fork I would use hose clamps and rubber pads.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Where do you guys get the hose clamps for attaching cages to the fork? And what kind?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    any hardware store carries hose clamps...who cares what kind...its not like you need a bike specific hose clamp. Just buy the one that fits your fork/cage combo the best.

Lone Wolf McQuade
    I would think mounting the cages pointing backwards (behind the fork leg) would be better for weight distribution than up front?? Just curious.

Matt
    I should be out riding....

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I just did a trip with the integrated bottle cage/strap mount from Two Fish and found it to perform very well, (they have just the bottle cage mounts only via strap as well, it just looked less streamlined than what I was aiming for) I was quite impressed.

Posted w/ Tapatalk via Android

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowerJoe View Post
    cool set up Wild
    just what I need for my fat bike

Sj
    Sj, G'day and thanks for your note.

This shot from the August 2012 issue of Tracks magazine, Australia's Bicentennial National Trail magazine, prompted me to set up my fork, for this coming Summer. The article by Dave McLeod is about mountain biking on the BNT during extreme weather conditions ... like during heat waves.

The photo shows from L-R Brad McCullach, Terry Montgomery and Jeff Coward hiking and hauling, Terry's bike and BOB up (what could be) the nightmare called Lazareni Spur in the Victorian High Country.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bob13bob View Post
    Never thought cages like that would be able to hold bottles ...
    Bob, G'day. Absolutely.

In the photo above, cheap orange twine holds those bidons in the cages.

I made my tethers for the bidons on the fork, out of sticky-back Velcro tape. With the soft side of the tape against the paint, of course.

For the two bidons on the frame, I bought some elastic tape with press studs.

You think that my fork is "suspect?"

Three years on and it is still behaving faultlessly Mate. I hope your fork is equally fine. I'm an off-road tourer, not a bikepacker. Take a look!

BNA - Australian Cycling Forums • View topic - Scooting around the Tinderrys.
    https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/...c_id=8470&v=jj
    https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/...c_id=9650&v=hb

Warren.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I had some cheap aluminum cages mounted to my fork legs on a month long tour in Chile last year mounted using the rack braze on and a hose clamp. Both cages failed but with the use of a velcro strap they continued to hold the 1L zefal magnum bottles the rest of the trip. Travel was on primarily dirt roads, some asphalt and some single track whenever I could find it.

This year on the Colorado trail I intended to use two of the 2fish adapters mentioned earlier with arundel cages mounted to my Fox fork. They ejected bottles, which were held down with velcro straps into my front wheel on the very first downhill section of segment one dropping in to the South Platte before the uphill grind of segment two. After 2 bottle ejections the bottles went into my jersey pockets and stayed there for the next 500 miles while the adapters and cages were mailed home in Leadville.

From this experience I wouldn't mount bottles on a suspension fork with the intent of riding proper single track with the 2fish adapters again. For dirt roads, gravel grinding or less I wouldn't have a problem with doing so.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best kind of water bottle cage for strapping to fork leg?-img_2251.jpg  

Best kind of water bottle cage for strapping to fork leg?-dscf2132.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I do exactly the same thing as Wild Wassa (hose clamps and old tubes to protect the fork). Here is my old fully rigid setup where I used cheap straw bale twine to secure the bottle tops to the fork. I'm kind of cheap overall so I use store bought 1L water bottles instead of bike bottles, but it works fine either way. The key is ensuring there is enough room at the top of the bottle to secure it below the stanchions (so, mount the cages as low as you can)

Not the best image, I know, but you get the idea. I now have a different bike with a suspension fork and a different setup (no more panniers and rack), but its still no problem. I just reused aluminum cages I already had and its all has been fine, even on rocky descents.

Explore More
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    What's your favorite type of cage for strapping to fork legs? (with zip ties or hose clamps)

Here's something different that I use.

Mojave Water Haulers

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    I have an Ogre, which has dedicated fork mounts for bottle cages, but even so I would still go with the Specialized cages. I've used all kinds of cages and those are 1) cheap and 2) reliable. Yet to break on me.

I feel dirty putting Specialized branded parts on a Surly though .

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    Bontrager Bat Cage

These are totally unflappable. I've strapped them to fork legs on a rigid bike and run the roughest trails I know with full bottles, and they hold great. No extra strapping needed, even on the back of the fork leg where they are more upside down.

I attached it using the Minoura Bottle Boss Adjustable Bottle Cage Holder

There might be better ways to attach it, but these worked great. I now use one for a bottle mount behind the seatpost.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
    I used the Two Fish model with King Cages and once I got them properly cinched down, they worked fabulously. It takes a little practice and willingness to tug on the velcro but it's tough stuff.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Definitely don't meet any styling requirements - but cheap, and absolutely indestructable. And because they're moulded plastic, they consistently grip a bidon tighter than a schoolboy gripping

restaurants in Sedona It's all here!!

Dinner for wolves
    After destroying two Alu cages on my Pug fork I went with plastic. Specifically the Cateye BC100. $6 ea, lightweight, holds bottles securely, "unbreakable" flexible plastic (sounds like a challenge), and almost designed with 2x/3x zip tie mounting in mind. Perfect solution for me. Pics later.

Best kind of water bottle cage for strapping to fork leg?-944718_10151655881013815_595907872_n.jpg
    Last edited by buddhak; 06-18-2013 at 10:55 AM.
    Responds to gravity

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by buddhak View Post
    After destroying two Alu cages on my Pug fork I went with plastic. Specifically the Cateye BC100. $5 ea, lightweight, holds bottles securely, "unbreakable" flexible plastic (sounds like a challenge), and almost designed with 2x/3x zip tie mounting in mind. Perfect solution for me. Pics later.
    The Cateye BC-100 is unbreakable. I have been using them for ~20 years with ZERO problems. Can not remember the last time I lost a bottle, either. Alway good to put washers under the mounting bolt heads, though. The bolts can pull through with a heavy load (like older way heavy light batteries.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Dinner for wolves
    Shiggy, your enthusiastic redommendation for the cateye led me to the product. I am very pleased so far.
    Responds to gravity

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by buddhak View Post
    Shiggy, your enthusiastic redommendation for the cateye led me to the product. I am very pleased so far.
    Cool. I have also zip-tied the cage to the top tube and seat post for long rides. Used a strip of leftover cork bar tape under the cage to help keep it from moving around.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast