mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Best (First) Overnighter Destination in Scotland?

Hey,

So I almost have a date settled for my first bikepacking venture after winter but I'm still undecided about the destination. I've been looking non-stop and I think the Trossachs might be the best sub-24h trip for ease of travel while remaining relatively remote, but I'm struggling to find singletrack routes for the area. Has anyone bikepacked through the Trossachs and can recommend a route, or even a better location and route for my first jaunt?

mtbr member
    where are you based? the trossachs would be fine. the first time you head out i think it is best to go somewhere you know well, have a vague notion of where you are going to set up camp, and use it as a trial run/shakedown.

i did my first overnighter in the trossachs - rode up from aberfoyle, to stronachlachar, then down the whw and stopped off at the fire road section before rowardennan and camped there. worked well...

HTH.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I live at Glasgow Green but don't drive, so somewhere I could grab the train to (or near to) would be perfect. I'd be happy to cycle from Balloch, I think that might be the nearest station. Do you have a detailed map of the route or was it just a case of finding the quickest cutoffs to the points you mentioned?

mtbr member
    why dont you think about just heading out the WHW from milngavie and doing an out an back? certainly my experience was that the first few times i overnighted i was a) nervous and b) made massive changes in the kit i took!...i think its good to know what works for you prior to going anywhere too far afield!...you could easily get to rowardennan that way then head back? or if youre feeling good, carry on out the WHW turn r at inversnaid past loch arklet, head to stronachlachar turn r and head down to aberfoyle beside loch chon, then loch ard...on the trails through queen elizabeth forest? or the road on the northish side of those lochs? i just used an OS map...

:-)~