I'm in...
    Jan 2011

Bay Area Bikepacking 101

This is in the NORCAL section too.

If youíre curious at all about bike camping and live in the Bay Area, come join us. If youíre seasoned bikepacker or enjoy touring with a mountain bike, join us.

Our goal is to get a network of riders out for a quick overnighter outside under the stars.

Donít know where to start?
    Donít wanna go alone?
    Donít know where to go?
    Need gear suggestions?
    Afraid of bears?

If youíre slightly interested and answered yes to any of the questions above, hit us up.

We have a quick overnighter planned for this weekend , February 2 from Portola Valley to Castle Rock State Park, with minimal time on the roads and maximum time on the dirt. Itís a no drop very moderate paced ride. If youíre looking for hammer session, this is not for you.

If you canít make it this month, the next one will be on March 9, and one planned for every month in 2013.

Hit me up with a PM if you have any questions.

I'm looking for Sub 24 ride suggestions throughout the Bay Area too so if you have a good one to share please let us know.

mtbr member
    Cool. Thanks for offering, but I'm busy this time.

I assume you've confirmed that there's mtb access to the trail camp there.

I like doing weekend trips, either by road bike or mtb, to the Nor Cal State Beach/ State Park bicycle touring campsites. Pfeiffer Big Sur, Andrew Molera Big Sur, Veterans Park (in Monterey), New Brighton (in Capitola), Half Moon Bay, Samuel Taylor (in Marin Co), and Bodega Dunes State Parks/Beaches have sites where cyclists can camp for $5. No reservations required.

My favorite mt bike camping rides are from Sunnyvale to Half Moon Bay State Beach (there via Stevens Canyon, Skeggs, and Purisima, and back via Hwy 1 and Big Basin), or SF to Samuel Taylor State Park (there via Marin Headlands, Coastal, and Bolinas Ridge and back via Pine Mt).

Henry Coe State Park has lots of bike packing options.

Have fun.
    Tequila is a pallid flame that passes through walls and soars over tile roofs to allay despair. A. Mutis

I'm in...
    Jan 2011
    Yes, Iíve done this route before and there is a fire road that lets you access the campsites at Castle Rock via bike.

Iím gonna have to try your favorite route, that sounds like a good grind. My buddy is just starting out so weíre building up the miles. Thanks for the ride suggestions.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I am too new to send PM's. LOL. Oh man. Anyway, I'm definitely interested. I just built up an Ogre for this very purpose. I'll go post some random stuff so I can send you an actual message....

Cheers,

Ken

I'm in...
    Jan 2011
    Sent you a PM.