Slothful dirt hippie

No good BA Insulated Q-core advertised size vs actual

Husby just got his nominal 72x20 BA Q-Core SL from rei in the mail today. I already have last year's model BA insulated air core (the maroon one). We blew them both up in the house to check them out and compare, and were surprised to find that the Q-core is narrower and even somewhat shorter than my old mat... maybe a half inch or more all the way around.

We're not petite but not exactly giant people either, and it's narrow enough that husby will be taking it back tomorrow and seeing what he can get in exchange. Needless to say, he's not going to jump on another BA pad unless he can check it out in person first.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

Slothful dirt hippie

Update

Update: REI return policy FTW, he ended up getting a demo model Downmat 7 UL for just a little less.

They measured it again in the store and everyone agreed that it was well short of the nominal measurements. No verdict yet if this was a one-off QC issue or if they're all that way.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Interesting. I just bought the BA insulated Q-core about a month ago but have nothing to compare it to as far as previous versions. I tried it out in my living room on hardwood floors (heat was out in all but one room during a cold snap) and it was the best sleeping pad experience I have ever had (I only recently stopped being able to sleep comfortably on a thermarest). But again, I have nothing to compare it to as far as it being shorter and thinner. Now I'll have to go measure...

Glad REI honored the purchase and hubby got what he wanted!