Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    I almost never use padded pants.
    The older I get the better I was...

Clyde on a mission!
    Dec 2011
    Not a B17, I got the Team Professional instead and worried a bit about the breaking in thing. Turned out I didn't have to because it felt great from day one.

I treated the underside with a good layer of Proofide and gave it another one a couple of days later. Topside got a thin layer of Proofide and I polished it off the day after. Other than that I really haven't done anything to it.

The first two rides the saddle was rather slippery which I felt in my arms and neck (grabbing on tighter to the handle bar to keep in place) but since then it hasn't been an issue.

I ride padded shorts on the trails and unpadded when I'm just cruising around town, both work just fine.

Awesome saddle, love it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aushiker View Post
    I honestly cannot remember if I had a "break-in" point as such as my B17 have been pretty good to me straight out of the box. My Team Professional on the other hand is taking way to long.
    Andrew
    I've had the same experience. B17 no break in time. Pro, way too long.
    Casey Greene - Cartographer - Adventure Cycling Association
    http://greenecasey.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I bought a B17 for my touring bike this year and find it pretty awesome. No break-in time for me either. I did note the top being a bit slippery for the first couple of rides due to the proof hide you apply to it the first time. Other then that it's been great and i'll be getting one for my future bikepacking rig as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Any one ever try the Imperial B-17 saddle with the cutout in the middle? Just wondering if that's worth it for a bit more comfort and pressure relief??

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleTrackLovr View Post
    I probably should have asked the in my first post.
    How many are using a B17 without padded bike pants?
    If i am riding up to twenty miles than i'd go without padded pants. For longer trips i'd take padded underwear with a small padding. I also have a pair of bibs with larger padding and while they are great for modern narrower saddles they make my thigh muscles rub against the B17, experienced that today on a 100km trip. I guess good "seamless" underwear would be best.

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
    I have a couple of B17's but they were always too wide for me and I never could get them broken in right. However, I switched to a Swift and after doing the recommended slathering under and on before riding and then a few "after coats" it broke in within a couple hundred miles. I'm now on 20,000 km and I still love it! The best saddle that I've ever owned.

ColoradoCoolBreeze
    Well I am still waiting for my B17 to arrive. I finely received a tracking number from BikeSomeWhere.
    Should arrive this Thursday Man that vendor is slow to ship. Order places 09/28

04 Azonic Saber
    08 Yeti AS-x
    12 Rocky Mtn 29er Alt 970

ColoradoCoolBreeze
    Finely arrived. Did a 4 hour ride and you guys were right
    right out of the box this saddle is comfy. As some have said a little slick I hope that changes once the treatment soaks in.

So now for my last question. Should I dye the leather black to match this bike silver and black color scheme?
    Last edited by SingleTrackLovr; 11-06-2012 at 03:21 PM.

04 Azonic Saber
    08 Yeti AS-x

mtbr member
    Very nice, I wish I'd gotten the copper riveted one. The honey color is my favorite. Id leave it as is personally!

Ride,Smile, Pedal Damn it
    Quote Originally Posted by dogus View Post
    mine felt pretty good out of the box also, but after about 3-4 months of commuting 1.5 miles each way, it is really starting to feel good and I now understand why everyone raves about these saddles.
    DITTO, I loved my B-17 out of box. I love it more now. I wish it didn't weigh 2 lbs.

ColoradoCoolBreeze
    Quote Originally Posted by henrymiller1 View Post
    DITTO, I loved my B-17 out of box. I love it more now. I wish it didn't weigh 2 lbs.
    Yes that is why I went with the Ti model 428g or 0.944lbs

04 Azonic Saber
    08 Yeti AS-x

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
    Finely arrived. Did a 4 hour ride and you guys were right
    right out of the box this saddle is comfy. As some have said a little slick I hope that changes once the treatment soaks in.

So now for my last question. Should I dye the leather black to match this bike silver and black color scheme?

Honestly, if you wanted black, you should have bought black. I wouldn't mess with dying it yourself. There's probably more chance of damaging the leather than it's worth. It will darken due to sweat and so forth but I think you're stuck with brown.

ColoradoCoolBreeze
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 Speed View Post
    Honestly, if you wanted black, you should have bought black. I wouldn't mess with dying it yourself. There's probably more chance of damaging the leather than it's worth. It will darken due to sweat and so forth but I think you're stuck with brown.
    Black was sold out. I have a little experience with leather, dying black is pretty easy.
    I think I'll keep it the stock color for now it might not stay on this bike.
    I'm trying to build a rails to trails bikepacking bike and I am not sure I want to stay with this 26" mtn bike I'm thinking a 29er might work better and I would want this seat on that bike.

04 Azonic Saber
    08 Yeti AS-x

Still breathing.
    Hi SingleTrackLovr. I wouldn't dye it. You'll find (at least I did) that your honey brown saddle will become a rich, robust coffee-with-a-dab-o'-creme brown as you ride it more. All 3 of mine turned out uniquely gorgeous. Except the black ones which no matter how long I rode them stayed as black-as-dog-lips. B-17's work super. Enjoy! PS AND don't forget to cover them up when its wet.
    Last edited by coffeemuggr; 10-14-2012 at 06:46 AM. Reason: Brain fart

mtbr member
    Please be honest.
    How long did it really take you to break in your Brooks saddle?
    Did you treat the leather to help the break in? If so what?

Thanks
    I have 4 B17s [one of which is a Champion Flyer with springs]. 3 were comfy right out of the box. 1 was crazy uber stiff and took a year of casual riding to break in.

My GF hated her B17S imperial for the first week of bike commuting. Asked me to take it off. I forgot due to an out of town job. When I got back 2 months later I asked her if she wanted it gone. She said no she loved it now.

For the "normal" B17s I just used a heavy initial dose of Proofide top and bottom. Followed by a light treatment once every 6 months.

For the crazy hard B17 I used a lot of Neatsfoot Oil on the bottom to try and speed up the softening. It seemed to help. I also used some Proofide on top.

I've heard all sorts of answers from people on Brooks break in so I don't know that there is anyway to know for sure. If you can buy your B17 from a store try everyone they have and skip any that seem unusually hard. Even my softest one [in relative terms] has not sagged or needed any tension adjustment after years of use.

BTW - on mt MTBs I use Selle Anatomica saddles. Waterproof leather and they are soft hammock style saddles so there is no break in at all.

Selle Anatomica - We make the world's most comfortable bicycle saddle. Period.

I never wear padded bike shorts with my leather saddles. 8-10hr rides day after day are no problem. Previously with a wide variety of plastic saddles I suffered a lot on long rides.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    A little offtopic, but here it goes
    I used to ride with a B17 standard, but ditched it because it was too wide to get behind on technical descents. Anyone here has experience with the Narrow version? Is it much easier to get behing than the normal B17?

ColoradoCoolBreeze
    Quote Originally Posted by Ze_Zaskar View Post
    A little offtopic, but here it goes
    I used to ride with a B17 standard, but ditched it because it was too wide to get behind on technical descents. Anyone here has experience with the Narrow version? Is it much easier to get behing than the normal B17?
    I agree. The B17 is wider than my WTB speedV which is what I use on my DH bike.

I bought this seat for a bikepacking rig set up for long days in the seat riding railroad gravel to concrete bike paths.

Last edited by SingleTrackLovr; 11-02-2012 at 06:30 PM.

04 Azonic Saber
    08 Yeti AS-x

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    On my current B17 (my 2nd) I have maybe 10,000 miles. I got it right before an Alaska --> Mexico ride and did absolutely nothing to it. It was broken in and giving me no trouble by the time I made it to the middle of British Columbia; ergo, 2-3 weeks of hard riding.

I concur with all of the comments about adjustment. Pair the saddle with a good adjustable seatpost that has a bit of setback. Fine tune the tilt of the saddle and you will have the best saddle around.

mtbr member
    I agree. The B17 is wider than my WTB speedV which is what I use on my DH bike.
    I've been curious about how the width feels relative to a standard saddle. Most folks I know ride all Brooks all the time so they cant compare how a really wide Brooks saddle compares to a wide/mid/narrow standard saddle.

I've heard that Brooks saddles ride like they are narrower than measured, true? A buddy with a Swift (153mm wide) said it rode similar to a WTB Silverado (135mm wide) despite almost an extra inch of width.

mtbr member
    I think that could be an accurate statement in terms of feel when you're on the saddle depending on your sit-bones, but you'd definitely notice the width if you were shifting off the back for a descent. The rearward edge of a Brooks is kindof no-mans land due to the metal support under the leather, so where you are sitting is a bit forward of the widest flare of the rear of the saddle.

ColoradoCoolBreeze
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    I've been curious about how the width feels relative to a standard saddle. Most folks I know ride all Brooks all the time so they cant compare how a really wide Brooks saddle compares to a wide/mid/narrow standard saddle.

I've heard that Brooks saddles ride like they are narrower than measured, true? A buddy with a Swift (153mm wide) said it rode similar to a WTB Silverado (135mm wide) despite almost an extra inch of width.
    I've been riding this b17ti for several weeks now(daily) and honestly I don't notice the additional width.
    I've had no issues sliding off the seat and returning.
    That said I'm not riding the ski resorts.
    Just my normal XC trails for daily exersize.

04 Azonic Saber
    08 Yeti AS-x

mtbr member
    For me, the problem with the B17 width is not really getting behing, but more the return to the normal position

ColoradoCoolBreeze
    A little update,
    I have about 30 rides over 250 miles now and I really like this saddle.
    I don't know if I have broken any brooks saddle rules and voided my warranty but I wanted to see what this leather tension adjustment was all about so I loosened the locking nut and cranked the bolt in by 3 full turns. I couldn't believe how much softer and pliable the leather became. It actually conforms to my butt bone when I put my full weight on it now.
    I plan to keep an eye on everything but for now I like the adjustment.

EDIT:
    Now I'm not recommending everyone go out and soften your saddle but for us
    Geriatric patients anything that will allow us to get a few more miles under the saddle
    before crashing in the tent with our advil and whiskey chaser it might be worth a try. haha
    Last edited by SingleTrackLovr; 11-26-2012 at 03:59 PM.

04 Azonic Saber
    08 Yeti AS-x

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Straight outta the box, paddingless perfection

+1

My team pro took a linseed oil soaking and two thick proofide coats and only became more grippy until a serious two hour downpour 10,000 miles later loosened it up under me.
    I liked the slipperyness of plastic bag covers on it, though.

My copper rivet flyer came with a semi-slippery cover that is totally perfect.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast