mtbr member

Anyone using a 135mm spaced front fork & hub?

I am in the process of building up my first real bikepacking build and was considering using a 135mm spaced fork. This would allow either the use of a 135mm front hub for a super strong/stiff wheel, or, what my plan is: Use a standard 135mm rear wheel. My plan is to mount a singlespeed cog and spacers on this wheel. That way if the freewheel on my original rear wheel craps out I can swap wheels and singlespeed away. Maybe not a big deal for short tours, but for longer rides in more remote areas, it could be a lifesaver! Anyone do this, or am I just overthinking it?

mtbr member
    My Pugsley rolls on a 135mm hub up front and it's a rear wheel that can be swapped into the back to turn the bike into a fixed gear in an emergency.

I think it's a great feature if you go remote places.

I'm too lazy to make that happen custom so I am glad my Pugsley frame came built that way.

IMG_6195 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    I use a Salsa Enabler on the front of my Karate Monkey, the weight penalty is worth the peace of mind.

mtbr member
    I'm glad someone else is using it! I realize some of the fat bikes use offset 135 front and rear, although it seems most are going away from that now. If building from scratch I think it's a smart thing to do for a slight weight penalty. And yes, the go to fork for this would be the Salsa Enabler, which includes lots of mounts as well.

Mark

lord of my world
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaryJerry View Post
    I use a Salsa Enabler on the front of my Karate Monkey, the weight penalty is worth the peace of mind.
    Depending on which year model, the Enabler for is a bit lighter. It was 150 grams lighter than my Skid Mark brown KM's fork.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I built up a custom off road tourer in 1998 with 135 spacing. Its nice to have a extra free hub. Nice to see all the production touring gear out now. Go for it OP!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I have/am using a 135mm FRONT spaced hub on my setup, but for a different reason than having the SS setup. I started off with a Jones frameset, which requires the 135mm front hub. I immediately noticed a difference in tracking capability of the front wheel on single track. It's my understanding that it also builds into a stronger wheel.

I liked it so much that when I found a 29er suspension-corrected Fatback steel fork here in the classifieds, I jumped on it. I have regrettably moved on from the Jones, but now run the Fatback fork and Jones front wheel on my Fargo for general trail riding and SO24s. If carrying a load, I am forced to go with the Fargo fork to gain the added carrying capacity.
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    My "lifesaver" option is having a bolt-on cog with me.

If the freehub fails, I remove and flip the rear wheel, replace the brake rotor with the 6-bolt cog and keep riding fixed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saul Lumikko View Post
    My "lifesaver" option is having a bolt-on cog with me.
    +1 - good idea.

My "ultimate" lifesaver option is wearing shoes I can comfortably walk 100kms in.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    The primary rear hub failure is in the freehub, obviously. Having a spare rear hub up front is one solution.

My approach is to use a DT Swiss 240/350 hub, which can be disassembled without tools and without removing the cassette. Pretty much the only part to fail, the star ratchet, is simple to install and so small you could bring a dozen spares and not even knowing.

Really, this little marvel of engineering is in a class of its own. Used them for tens of thousands of miles on all my bikes with the only issue being sprockets eventually biting into the aluminum freehub body and making the cassette a little difficult to remove. Except with the bikes running Campy, as the spline pattern is deeper and better distribute stress.

mtbr member
    Glad to see some discussion on this topic again. I have decided for now to use a standard 100mm front fork and hub for now. I am not doing any epic rides where a freehub failure will be catastrophic. Also, after thinking about this a bit more, I think carrying a bolt on cog, like Saul described, is a great option. It also allows the use of a dynamo front hub to charge and light things up in the middle of nowhere.

mtbr member
    If you want to run a 135mm front hub for extra stiffness, there is a 135mm SON dynamo hub.