Cumbria, England.

Is anybody riding a long'ish travel trail bike that fits a decent sized frame bag?

Hi, as above really. To cut a long story short, I'm thinking of getting rid of one of my bikes to free up some cash. I think I'll sell the hardtail I use for bikepacking and also sell my full-sus frame...I then want to buy a 140 or 150mm travel frame that has some space for a frame bag or at the very least, a couple of water bottles. My current suspension frame has no room for anything. The only other deciding factor would be that the frame would have to have a tapered or 1.5 headtube so I could use my current fork.

Has anyone any ideas?

Cheers, DF.
    - The seasons blow away, but the love is just the same -

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I have a 2010 Scott Genius 50 that I absolutely love. It's 150mm travel, has a remote to adjust to 95mm and locked out setting. The shock sits behind the seat tube, so you can definitely fit a frame bag in there... I'm working on making one. Some are skeptical about the pull shock but I've had nothing but good results after about 2-3k miles, including a couple 80+ mi days. Only thing is the year I have is not a tapered head tube, although I know there are adapter kits.

I used to ride a light ish 23lb 29er ht, but at 28 lbs it's so much more fun on a full suspension without a whole lot of extra weight.

Cumbria, England.
    Thanks for the reply. You're not the first person to recommend a Scott. The trouble is that it's hard to find just a frame (here in the UK). I've seen a good deal on a new, complete bike. I would have been able to sell all the parts I didn't need from it but can't really afford it in the first place.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    going to a 29er will let you use less suspension and give ya more room. maybe a hardtail 29er.

Cumbria, England.
    I'd considered changing to a 29er and was aware that you can use less suspension...it would still be a full-sus though, I'd never have a hardtail as my only bike. My current full-sus is an Ibis Mojo HD, I love it on the downhills and the rocky terrain where I live.

Bikepacking is definitely secondary to me but I still need to consider it as I've incorporated it into some of my uni modules (I can't believe it myself!). I'd rather not sell what I've got but need the money for computer and camera gear that I need for my course. I'm going to be carrying some of that kit on my back, which is why I want to be able to use a frame bag and keep the normal bikepacking stuff on the bike (I already have a seat bag and bar bag).

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Just a though, but also consider the weight distribution. If you can use a small frame bag, or even some creatively attached cages, to get water (or other heavy things) off your back you can use a largish pack to carry bulky light stuff. You’d be surprised how big of a difference it can make.

I can only fit a Jandd frame pack in my medium El Kaboing but it’ll hold 100oz of water and some snacks. Then I just distribute the rest of my kit between my bar bag, seat bag, a Talon 22, and some random little bags. I could easily carry more then I need for most multi day trips.

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by D45yth View Post
    ...My current full-sus is an Ibis Mojo HD, I love it on the downhills and the rocky terrain where I live...
    With any kind of luck you'll see pictures of my '09 Ibis Mojo bikepacking this coming season. I've thought about making a bag for that little oval in the frame for tools or whatever, but... meh. I've got my kit list whittled down and 'test packing' suggests I'm going to have enough room for what I'm doing.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

Cumbria, England.
    Big_papa_nuts - You've got me thinking now...I do carry my sleeping bag and spare clothes on the bike. I'd be better putting them on my back. I hear you on the extra cages too, I'd already been looking at some that fit the bill.

Verslowrdr - I'm starting to think the same thing myself...I've been looking at the FPD Monkii cages to put on each of my fork legs (I like how they're quick release) and had forgot my frame has a bottle cage mount under the downtube too. Also realised my seat bag is only a medium, I may plump up for a large.

Great stuff, it looks like I'm keeping the bike I love! If I strip my hardtail down and sell it as parts, I should just about have enough cash to replace my decrepit PC with a decent Macbook! Camera lenses will have to wait.

mtbr member
    Is lots of stand over a major concern? If not how about a custom bag running from the seattube/post towards the stem across the top tube. Wouldn't be huge but would free up some space in a saddle bag and handlebar bag situation. What about a small stuff sack strapped to the downtube above the cranks? Get creative and I be you could fit a good bit of stuff on the bike and get some of that weight off of your back. How about two vertically oriented stuff sacks strapped to the frame opposite esch other out of the way of the knees and aft of the head tube? I don't know how any of these things would work, just trying to think of potentially feasible places to put things on the bike.

You could probably even make an old man mountain rack work out back to strap things to without resorting to rattley panniers. That would probably mess with the suspension though. Unless you only put lightweight stuff on the rack. Still not ideal though.

Look forward to seeing how you get the bike ready for trips.
    Last edited by vaultbrad; 03-19-2013 at 04:43 AM. Reason: More thinking

Slothful dirt hippie
    FWIW I've got all my shelter system (hammock) + puffy coat in the Viscacha seat bag, which leaves clothing + sleeping bag in a dry bag on the handlebars.

The rest of the bits and pieces I can throw in my camelbak Octane 14+, which includes a lot of things that live there 365 days a year anyway. I've been the butt of multiple 'are you planning to spend the night out there?' jokes as someone picks up the pack, and my answer is always "if I HAD to, yes... it would be a very sucky night, but I'd make it". I occasionally do some back country solo day rides, and if crap hit the fan I'd rather be looking at it than looking for it if you know what I mean.

I have 1 mtn feed bag and might add another, although I've also considered rigging a 'saddlebag' lashup like vaultbrad mentions. But at this point it doesn't look like I'll need to.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

Cumbria, England.
    Thanks again for all the replies. The more I look at my bike, the more I see places to carry kit! I'm going to buy 3 of those Monkii cages, have 2 on the fork (water bottles) and one under the downtube (tools, small parts). I think I might just duct tape my spare tube/s in the small spaces within the frame. I don't need them often as I run tubeless but they'll be handy to get at if I do. I've a few other ideas but I'll see what they're going to work out like first.

I'll post some pics in the next couple of weeks...I need to do a trial run for a trip I'll be doing in mid-April. I can't get the Monkii stuff until the start of April though as the supplier (UK) is at a bike convention.

This place needs an enema
    My current and all-time favorite is a Lenz Mammoth.

Seen here heading out on our Gila trip in January:

140mm on both ends, dropper post, 'sportyslack' geo for all day fun, two tubes/spare parts/pump/lube/scooby snacks in the frame pack, one bottle under the down tube, sleeping bag/clothes under the seat, sleep pad and a puffy jacket under the bars. I had a small pack on my back for a 3 liter bladder, stove/pot/fuel/breakfast/dinner and my DSLR w/two lenses, batts, intervalometer, etc...

Pics from that trip HERE, HERE, and HERE.

Hard to imagine a way to improve on this bike for this purpose. But I'll keep trying...

Cheers,

MC

P.S. Sorry 'bout the big gaudy watermark on the pic. Used it as my blog header ~2 months ago and am at my 'other' computer so I don't have access to the source file today.

Cumbria, England.
    Mikesee - Thanks for the input, it looks I'll be running a similar setup to yours with my Mojo...I've yet to see a Lenz here in the UK. No need to post links for me either, I check your blog (and Gregory's) regularly! I do realise they're not just for my benefit though.

My Monkii cages have been posted out today so I'll post my setup on here as soon as I've sorted everything out. I've also had to buy a bigger backpack for a trip I'm doing in a couple of weeks...I'll be needing the extra space for some of my winter kit, as there's still some snow around and temps are getting below freezing! Not that big of a deal but something I shouldn't be having to do at this time of year.