I have been perusing the forums here for some great info on bikepacking gear. I love all the rigs in the sticky.
My wife and I currently live in Quito Ecuador. She is working and I am on a sabbatical kayaking/mountain biking/traveling. We've decided that the job isn't really what it sold to be, and it isn't really worth it to continue here in Quito. So we have decided to ride our bikes from Quito to Tierra del Fuego (or perhaps the reverse).
That leads to my question. Does anyone have any experience on this route? I'm trying to decide between flying to Ashuaia (in Tierra del Fuego) in January and working our way back to Quito or leaving Quito in January and trying to make it to Ashuaia before the winter sets in. We are mostly concerned with the weather at this point. We are definitely going to start the trip at the beginning of January (not flexible). Hopefully we will finish in late April. Here is what I'm thinking based on what I've read from bloggers.
Quito to Tierra del Fuego:
- Not working with the seasons (but not a huge problem if in the Andean highlands)
- Could be really hot in northern Argentina/Chile?
- Reaching Patagonia in the Fall would give us calmer weather, but colder and shorter days.
- Wind in Patagonia would be working with us
Tierra del Fuego to Quito:
- Nice long days to start the trip and warmer weather
- The winds from the north in Patagonia sound vicious.
- We would hit fall in northern Chile/Argentina which could be more pleasant?
- More uphill (not sure if this is really significant given the elevation variation throughout the whole trip)
- Less time constrained due to not trying to beat winter
Any thoughts or experiences based on this would be much appreciated! Thanks for all the help!
BTW, we are both riding 29er hardtails. We have biking and backpacking gear here in Quito, but not bikepacking gear. Bikepacking bags have been hard to come by in Quito (especially for 29ers, which just took off this past year). We hope to order in the US and have some friends bring it over Christmas.
Results 1 to 6 of 6
Check out the hottest mountain bike products from these brands!
See All Interbike Coverage - Click Here »