Ride da mOOn Moderator

American Discovery Trail thread

Give it a crank
    Looks like an impressive connection of various kinds of paths across the US. I had never heard of it before.

I did know of the back country Adventure Cycling Route Network: Adventure Cycling Route Network - Adventure Cycling Association

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post
    Looks like an impressive connection of various kinds of paths across the US. I had never heard of it before.

I did know of the back country Adventure Cycling Route Network: Adventure Cycling Route Network - Adventure Cycling Association
    I'm also familiar with this too: http://awesome.good.is/transparency/...ansparency.jpg

That's pretty cool that they linked it up. NEPMTBA, are you volunteering to do it ?

EDIT: OOOooooo....

Is the entire ADT open to bicycles?
    About 850 miles of the ADT are not open to bicycles because the trail is too rough, rocky, and/or steep for bikes to be practical or the local trail management policy excludes bicycle use (such as in wilderness areas). You can do the entire ADT by bicycle by using bicycle detours which are shown in some of the trail descriptions for each state or which can be obtained by consulting the state coordinator. Although a road bike may suffice in most of the Midwest, a mountain bike is required for other parts of the ADT. Many trail sections that are passable on a day ride are too difficult on a bicycle laden with camping gear.

I wonder if they consulted anyone from this forum when they were discussing the last bit.

ColoradoCoolBreeze
    Not to cross the country but I ride these local trails listed almost everyday.
    These are paved bike paths not dirt trails.

South Denver, CO area;

Chatfield Trails System
    South Platte River Trail
    Bear Creek Greenway

Looking over the website it looks like a great resource for one looking for a place to ride.
    Thanks for the link.

04 Azonic Saber
    08 Yeti AS-x
    12 Rocky Mtn 29er Alt 970

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Well gotta start somewhere...

...would love to just ride away from home with no worries, and find my way across the USA, but ride one is on the bucket, Delaware next year!

Cheesiest
    I just ran across the ADT site while looking for routes in central CA. Looks like a great trip!